2015 SHOT Show: Ruger 10/22 fast loading magazine

tootall

Rating - 100%
54   0   0
As much as I like the Ruger 10/22 rifle, I find the mags a colossal pain in the thumb.
HCMags ( .hcmags.com ) has an answer to that problem.
The magazine has a stripper clip sort of thing that inserts into the rear of the main body.
The spring is compressed by forcing down a small knob (silver thing at the bottom of the mag in the first photo), and locking it in place.
Then insert the stripper clip into the rear of the mag (People that use the term mag and clip interchangeably are going to be screwed!), release the knob holding the spring, and you are ready.
The clip stays with the mag body, and holds 20 rounds. The mag can then topped up with an additional 5 rounds, for a total of 25. (These five are within the last top inch of the mag and are not accessible by the clip method)
The basic kit comes with one mag body and two clips.

K4ewLRp.jpg

N3RjZUJ.jpg

This view shows the rear access with clip removed.

There is also a deluxe kit with one mag, five clips, and a sorting box that will quickly sort out 100 rounds into the 5 clips.
b5CHvVh.jpg

yxCJC0M.jpg

This shows the sorting box out of it's container. Once the 100 rounds are divided into 5 rows of 20, the clips are slid onto the row of rounds, row by row.

The package makes NO mention of the Challenger pistol. I think I will let them know NOT to completely Foock up their Canadian market.

I had 2. They fed flawlessly when I had a stock 10/22. When I upgraded to a Dlask barrel (sporter chamber!) and receiver, the first 15 rounds would jam, then rest would cycle properly. I EEed em.

Yea. The whole idea of putting that clip behind the mag seems great but when u actually try to put on the clip the angle and a whole bunch of #### to deal with just takes time and it jams and pops out and doesn't feed and one you loaded the clip you have to add some more rounds from the mag lip to top it up. Its just bs. Im selling mine if anyone wants it. A mag and 5 clips

I found the stripper idea to be very flawed. The rounds don't lock into the stripper. So unless you use a special cap to hold them on, they just fall off. Loading the stripper into the mag is a pain as well. The rounds don't sit tight in the stripper, they wobble from side to side and therefore don't line up straight to drop into the mag properly. It was way more work than it was worth. For the price of another magazine, that would have been a better choice IMO. Still, good to see people innovating new ideas.

I bought one of those H3CR mags when they were first available and then quickly resold it. I won't be buying another. If you are looking for a new type of 10/22 mag that looks like it could really be an improvement over current designs, look at the High Tower Armory magazine.

You've gone and done it, rekindled my desire for one of the 90/22 bullpup stocks which are of course prohibited here in Canada for no particular reason. No matter how many times I dive into firearms legislation I cannot make any sense of it. It truly is the tire swing made by committee.

Rant aside, thanks for the info on those mags. Like every 10/22 owner I'm always on the hunt for better feeding/loading mags. I will get one of the Hightower mags and try it out. Looks promising.

I've got one and there is a trick to getting it to work properly. Once loaded and before releasing the spring, the mag needs to be inverted
so that the rounds move toward the top of the mag with the the bullets at a 45 deg angle. Then release the spring gently to capture the
rounds and push them to the top. You can tell if you've done it correctly because the top round will be at an angle with the front higher
than the rear. If loaded properly they work very reliably.

I think we have these up here already. Didn't work too well with my 10/22...lots of jams..

The extra stripper clips come with a small rubber piece that slips over the top to secure the rounds.

I found the stripper idea to be very flawed. The rounds don't lock into the stripper. So unless you use a special cap to hold them on, they just fall off. Loading the stripper into the mag is a pain as well. The rounds don't sit tight in the stripper, they wobble from side to side and therefore don't line up straight to drop into the mag properly. It was way more work than it was worth. For the price of another magazine, that would have been a better choice IMO. Still, good to see people innovating new ideas.

Back
Top Bottom