Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: CFB Petawawa CQB Clinic 27-28 June 2015 - Debrief here! Pics up!

Quote Originally Posted by john@ View Post
    I'm working on getting all the required equipment together. Should have all I need by June. My approach is fun and budget minded, Norinco, airsoft accessories, and cheap russian ammo, as well as a few better quality items, specifically the optics.

One thing I am on the fence about is the hearing protection, I wear prescription glasses so muffs have never been that great for me. I have a basic pair (no electronics) and either double up with foamies, or just go with the foamies.

Those of you with glasses, what are your thoughts? Do you use muffs with the electronics? how effective do you find the protection?
    First off, I don't wear prescription glasses, only reading glasses every blue moon, so I can't help you there. But I can offer my take on my electronic muffs I've experienced so far.

If you already use 'foamies' (I assume you mean the small foam ear plugs), along with (in addition to?) your normal ear muffs, you probably won't like electronic muffs, due to their general lack of better sound insulation in them, compared to normal full-blown shooters muffs, at least in my observations so far. I went through a couple different pairs myself so far and I haven't found a set of electronic muffs (with the microphones built in) that have as much sound protection, at least to my ears, as a good set of normal muffs. I paid a bit more this time, trying out some Beretta 'premium' electronic muffs that cost a fair bit more than my last set of Caldwell's, but they don't seem to have much more, if any, sound insulation/protection in them. A bit disappointed. And the mics don't seem much better sounding either. IMHO, Don't blow a huge wad of cash on the so-called premium muffs, as in my experience, they don't seem proportionally that much better. Ergonomics are likely a better thing to look for (or feel for). What feels best with your ears and your gear.
    Others here with a lot more experience at the range can likely advise, (maybe they found a better electronic type/brand than I did), but that's my 2 cents.
    Cheers.

I use the Howard Leight Impact Sport electronic ear defenders. They work really well and are reasonably priced
    Club Member: FRPC, CFB Kingston Gun Club. Director, Project Mapleseed.

Hello All

I just registered Alex (SKS boy from last year) and I.

We are pumped and ready to snap some caps!

Do you think I should bring my CZ858 or just stay with my trusted AR15?

I remember last year one person used his CZ858 and encountered a ruptured casing. I think this was just bad luck because I have never had any issues with my CZ858. The only thing I find tricky with my CZ858 is the mag release. Mag changes are not as slick as the AR15 for sure!

Looking forward to seeing some old faces and meeting a few new ones!

Cheers
    Albert

Can you allow a french guy from QC to attend with no vest, with only a battle belt ?

BANNED
    Sure that isn't a problem . ...send Barney to register then send me one with your email address and I will send you a letter of invitation from our club .This will be required when you apply for your STATT to bring your restricted firearms to Pet .

Hi its Dustin "split casings in the vz58 guy" bring two guns so you have a back up. Got a ar this year and the vz58 is goin in for warranty and hopping to have it out in time for my back up. Im just glad someone lent me there spare ar to finish the course. Im also bringing a spare pistol after last year ill always have spare firearms for any course im attending.

Quote Originally Posted by Tank-Soldier View Post
    Hello All

I just registered Alex (SKS boy from last year) and I.

We are pumped and ready to snap some caps!

Do you think I should bring my CZ858 or just stay with my trusted AR15?

I remember last year one person used his CZ858 and encountered a ruptured casing. I think this was just bad luck because I have never had any issues with my CZ858. The only thing I find tricky with my CZ858 is the mag release. Mag changes are not as slick as the AR15 for sure!

Looking forward to seeing some old faces and meeting a few new ones!

Cheers
    Albert

Dustin - LOL your too funny!

OK, I will bring a back up weapon, you do have a valid point.

I pimped out my CZ858! I got a new mag and bolt release lever (bigger) and itching to try it out! It has been a great go-to rifle for me and never had problems with jamming or ruptured casing.

SKS boy is looking around for a rifle to bring up. He had a rough time with his SKS. He is considering the Tavor.

Keep Saturday night open for dinner and a few beers with the gang! My tactical gear is ready to go. I'm better prepared this year now that I know what to expect.

Ah fresh meat for Barney!

Beware new guy! LOL!!!!

I was lucky enough to drop my vz off at movie arms for repair they are telling me it should be ready way before the end of june so im pretty happy.. as for the tavor he might have trouble with the mag changes in modified prone. I just took a pretty good loss on a t97 because of that. Just some food for thought. I've been hearing good things about the new keymod xcr quite a bit lighter then the first gen and around the same price as the tavor.
    Dustin - LOL your too funny!

OK, I will bring a back up weapon, you do have a valid point.

I pimped out my CZ858! I got a new mag and bolt release lever (bigger) and itching to try it out! It has been a great go-to rifle for me and never had problems with jamming or ruptured casing.

SKS boy is looking around for a rifle to bring up. He had a rough time with his SKS. He is considering the Tavor.

Keep Saturday night open for dinner and a few beers with the gang! My tactical gear is ready to go. I'm better prepared this year now that I know what to expect.

Business Member
    Ah fresh meat for Barney!

Beware new guy! LOL!!!!
    Oh yeah, at one clinic on the firing line, someone had magazine "locking" problems. "Everything worked on the bench at my home range....."

I laughed so hard, I musta broke a rib.

Folks, before we get going on the clinic in June, you still got a couple of months to work over and STRESS those 5.5/30 rd magazines. And test them magazines to load 5 rounds on a FORWARD Bolt at your home range. Of course they WILL work when the bolt is locked open and to the rear. But will the magazine lock in place with 5 rounds while you have the bolt forward and ONE round still inside the chamber?

We are gonna have a poopload of fun. Actually, I did break a rib laughing at a September 2012 Sniper Clinic when the tactical (read: Cambodian Tire) tarp was shredded at the 300 yard Agony Snap exposure; the wind came up to raise the flapping corner just as the figure 14 popped up for 3 seconds. The tarp was shredded and I could not stop laughing!

Where's Rugerblast and Thump-rrr ??

Bring on the questions for the CQB clinic!

Cheers and keep on helping them noooobies out there!

Barney