XCR L gas tube movement? Wolverine please comment

zeuce

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Cleaning my rifle tonight I heard a rattle. I noticed the gas tube sliding back and then sliding towards the gas block. Is this an issue? I havent torn the upper down yet. The pics show the amount.

CBB8BA66-C09A-42FC-B372-EFD391CFA94E_zpszfuogvzz.jpg

88807139-F230-458B-83DF-6E6D1220E0CA_zpswqeqbqgj.jpg

Last edited:
Yup mine does the same thing. There was a thread on this on what to and not to do about it, can't remember but I was quite pissed and then once I read through the post it didn't seem like it was going to affect anything other than be annoying if you were on a stealth night mission or something so I quite worrying about it.
Its in the forums someplace. You could also ask the forum sponsor here who is the importer, they seem to know everything about the XCR (seriously, called them about my bolt catch and they had the problem totally sussed and fixed in minutes).

Thats why i posted this in wolverines forum. Did you fix yours or does it still rattle. I was thinking of pulling the gas block and putting a high temp o-ring on it to stop the rattle if there is no fix.

Ah ok yes was the xcrfourm where I found the info not here. My twitchy bolt catch became more of an issue so that is what I called Wolverine about, I have not heard or seen anything from them on this, though now that it has been brought up...yea it would be nice to hear it strait from the best source other than Robarm. I guess I kind of wrote it of as something like the way most 1911's rattle, though a proper fix rather than an O ring would be nice.

Yep looks like this is normal. Wolverine please confirm and set my mind at ease LOL (guys in this thread have the same idea with the hi temp oring)

http://www.xcrforum.com/forum/29-problems/17901-gas-tube-not-flush-block-moving-back-forth.html

So my next question would be, is it loose for thermal expansion? An oring shouldnt impede this if thats the case.

Lol good point! Glad its nothing broken. Going out this monday so ill see if it rattles when everythings hot. Ill report back here.

Here is what i did. The oring idea wont work due to the notch that the gas tube has to go into on the gas block. It just so happens that the amount the gas tube was moving is the same as a small snap ring. I had a kit of different sizes. It slips over the gas block end and leaves the notch free enough the gas tube cannot rotate. So far so good off to shoot it this weekend.

13BD6E17-6E9D-4D03-9BD9-EFF62BA17592_zpsjkx6uil1.jpg

02B02B9C-B353-41ED-9137-B832947642D9_zpsllecvbsc.jpg

AE5CB2C4-A13E-4E53-AA64-B8904BF001AB_zpshcblsb3u.jpg

42EC9826-5BF9-4C5E-9DF9-6F8CDA95DF3B_zps0ewsauah.jpg

I recall people stating the gas tubes to be hastily made . Even mine has a metal spike inside the gas tube notch. I had to shave it off for it to fit in the gas block notch . But even before that I had no problems with it sliding . And over 2000+ rounds and counting ;)

Lots of posts stating no issues, thousands of rounds in with it rattling. Call it ocd or me being picky but when I pass my $2500 rifle to a friend. It shouldnt rattle like the guts are coming loose LOL

Let's try and remember this is not an sks or an ak the tube is pretty much floating in the upper here maybe because that way more water can drain out in an OTB situation

Back
Top Bottom