Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 80% AR15 lowers Aluminum

Quote Originally Posted by Tom E Gun View Post
    I am curious, what is the attraction of 80% AR lowers? There is obviously a market for them, but other than a cool paperweight, what else are they used for? I am thinking that purchasing a 100% complete lower would be faster, cheaper and easier to register, etc. than one you finish yourself, or is this not correct? If you assembled an otherwise complete rifle on an 80% lower would it be considered a replica and therefore prohib?
    They are interesting projects for the hobbyist gunsmiths. The fit and finish is determined by your own skill and tools. They must be registered upon completion, and are considered restricted by name as all AR lowers are.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer fenceline's Avatar
    With an 80% lower you could engrave it to suit suit your build. You aren't selling it so copyright logos are less of a legal issue. They would make a good foundation for a clone build.

Plus there bus the satisfaction of doing it yourself.

Would these look like a standard lower? I'd be in for a standard looking 80% lower. The issue just comes down to price point for the lower and the jig.
    Last edited by fenceline; 03-15-2015 at 03:34 PM.
    CQB, 3 Gun, ISSAC and Service Rifle Shooter.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - 1* - SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM - HAN SHOT FIRST - YOUR FREEDOM IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY

Thanks for the explanation guys, that all makes sense. I think I would like an 80% Thompson M1A1 receiver

Quote Originally Posted by CraigNConnor View Post
    But personally I would rather have some custom completed 100% lowers offered from you but with custom serial #s
    That would be cool from a Canadian manufacturer..
    +1 on this.
    not really in the AR market right now but when I am I would love to get a custom lower.

CCFR Member

CGN Ultra frequent flyer fenceline's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom E Gun View Post
    Thanks for the explanation guys, that all makes sense. I think I would like an 80% Thompson M1A1 receiver
    Sad to have to keep it that way.
    CQB, 3 Gun, ISSAC and Service Rifle Shooter.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - 1* - SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM - HAN SHOT FIRST - YOUR FREEDOM IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY

CGN Regular
    I don't know about price, but an 80% aluminum lower with jigs would be hot seller. I think the polymer ones sell quick up here cause they are the only ones that come with a jig.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer ShawnC6's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by badboybeeson View Post
    no problem on the dlask post, gives us an idea of price.
    as for 6061v 7075 one is not better then the other they are just different.
    + dlask items are forgings no billet, so as far as 80% goes,, there is hardly any work done to a forging that is 80%
    If we were to offer them they would be billet and much nicer.
    Just an idea at this point.
    Yeah both will work more than fine for an AR lower. 7075 has much higher tensile strength than 6061 due to using different alloying elements. But it's not like you need massive strength in a part where polymer works most of the time.

And yeah for sure a billet part would have a much nicer fit and finish. Good luck!

My friend got a dlask 80% although nice, they are not quite 80% I'd say more like 65% but they are only game in town... Not for a noob...

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Trinimon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Semi12 View Post
    My friend got a dlask 80% although nice, they are not quite 80% I'd say more like 65% but they are only game in town... Not for a noob...
    Holy cripes! $200. for an unfinished 80% lower? And it does not even come with the jig?
    CSSA Member

If your willing and able to complete an 80% lower make your own jig.
    lots of printable templates and info on the web. Making your own jigs and fixtures for your mill is great practice and very satisfying
    Let every soldier past and present know that you remember and are thankful of their sacrifice. Thank you

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast