Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Dreaming of a s&w 5946

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    I carry one every day. I have put a number of 1000's of rounds through mine. They seem to be one of the toughest guns I have ever used - keep in mind that mine is routinely rebuilt every few years. Accuracy? Accurate enough. The sight radius is really too short for very accurate work. The extremely heavy double action trigger is something that takes a lot of getting used to. They are in no way worth the price demanded on the EE for a re-barrelled one. I would certainly buy one someday just for nostalgia purposes if the price was right.

Quote Originally Posted by saskcop View Post
    I carry one every day. I have put a number of 1000's of rounds through mine. They seem to be one of the toughest guns I have ever used - keep in mind that mine is routinely rebuilt every few years. Accuracy? Accurate enough. The sight radius is really too short for very accurate work. The extremely heavy double action trigger is something that takes a lot of getting used to. They are in no way worth the price demanded on the EE for a re-barrelled one. I would certainly buy one someday just for nostalgia purposes if the price was right.
    Since they have been out of production since 1999, where do they get parts from??

I mean, sooner rather than later parts are going to dry up, or the pistols will become unservicable due to age and wear.
    Crazy......but that's how it goes.

GunNutz
    Quote Originally Posted by Repro77 View Post
    Since they have been out of production since 1999, where do they get parts from??
    I think we bought out S&W's supply, and someone correct me, but I think we'll pick up other departments used pistols for spares as well.

I also want to say I thought S&W re-opened the line and did another run for us, but that's pure speculation.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer critter928's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Repro77 View Post

I mean, sooner rather than later parts are going to dry up, or the pistols will become unservicable due to age and wear.
    Out of production does not mean they were not being supported by S&W in the way of spare parts, of which S&W was making parts for them right up until last year.

ht tp://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-semi-auto-pistols/377999-3rd-gen-parts-im-afraid-were-our-own-gents.html

And with 20,000 ish purchased by the Canadian Gov't for RCMP and Fisheries and Oceans, I am sure plenty of spare parts were included in the order and we stocked up last year when S&W notified everyone they were no longer supporting the line.
    "For having lived long, I have experienced many instances of being obliged, by better information or fuller consideration, to change opinions, even on important subjects, which I once thought right but found to be otherwise." - Benjamin Franklin

love this gun and have allways wanted one for my safe..now,,not so much../ ((

Quote Originally Posted by critter928 View Post
    Out of production does not mean they were not being supported by S&W in the way of spare parts, of which S&W was making parts for them right up until last year.

ht tp://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-semi-auto-pistols/377999-3rd-gen-parts-im-afraid-were-our-own-gents.html

And with 20,000 ish purchased by the Canadian Gov't for RCMP and Fisheries and Oceans, I am sure plenty of spare parts were included in the order and we stocked up last year when S&W notified everyone they were no longer supporting the line.

Exactly right. There is a market for S&W to produce all the little parts needed that are common to the whole series of pistols. For example: slide stop levers, recoil guide rods, recoil guide rod springs, all trigger springs and mainsprings - just to mention a few.

I don't know if they are available in small quantities so maybe you need to order parts by he thousand. Lol

BANNED
    someone stated in another thread the RCMP is transitioning to the MP 40??? is this correct???? if so there will be tons of these on the market in the near future....unless they send them all back to smith and wesson like a lot of companies do

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Deckard's Avatar
    I cannot imagine the High River High Horses ever releasing their guns for public sale to mere civilians.
    Listen, and understand. That Liberal is out there. It can’t be bargained with. It can’t be reasoned with. It doesn’t feel pity, or remorse- only fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until your guns are gone.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Phat Eagle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckard View Post
    I cannot imagine the High River High Horses ever releasing their guns for public sale to mere civilians.
    They will be turned in or scrapped, just like the Model 10s and SP1s recently upgraded by other Federal Agencies.

Quote Originally Posted by icelink View Post
    someone stated in another thread the RCMP is transitioning to the MP 40??? is this correct???? if so there will be tons of these on the market in the near future....unless they send them all back to smith and wesson like a lot of companies do
    Absolutely, 100%, not substantiated. No small arms replacement program in the near future. So many other irons in the fire with carbine rollout and the next version of the firearms modernization package, and even holster evaluations, etc.

Even when the next SARP occurs, you will not see the 5946 sold to civilians or even members - if the disposal of the model 10 in the mid '90s is any indication.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast