Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: SKS to AR mag adapter prototype

CGN Ultra frequent flyer skneub's Avatar
    Was Tween Digby and Yarmouth .....Escaped back home to Alberta :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by hical.ca View Post
    Wow, enough rumors & speculations. We did not want to get into arguments on a public forum, but we want to explain the difference between our product & the USA one.
    There has to be some similarities to make them work in an SKS rifle, but this is what we found by comparing the different units when we did a side by side comparison between our mag adapter and the one from the states over the weekend.

Here is a list of the main differences:

ours is longer to provide better magazine support
    ours has a mag well flare for faster mag changes
    ours has a larger mag release button for easier mag changes
    ours has a slightly lower location for the mag release button
    ours has a different mag catch arm with different geometry so it can't bind, this is a problem with the USA design
    if the magazine does get stuck, our design facilitates reaching inside to manually depress the mag catch

you cannot push the mag release button too far allowing the mag catch to fall out of position, this is a problem with the USA design
    Less modification required to the sks stock is required as ours is thinner profile.

the USA designs website clearly states "It is designed to use only ASC, 5, 10, 20 or 30 round, modified 7.62x39 AR 15 style magazines"
    Our design was designed to work with any ar 15 style magazine from any manufacturer, no modification are required. Our system will work with any standard unmodified magazine designed for that specific caliber, including 10 round pistol mags, with NO modification!

the USA design does not need a modification to the sks rifle, ours does require some material to be removed from the lower receiver

We understand that our design looks similar to the USA design, but this is just a prototype as explained in the original post. There are several areas that interface with the rifle and magazine thus the dimensions are restricted. We will still make changes to further enhance, improve and set our design apart from the USA design.

Ours says "made in Canada" not "made in Texas"....

Thank you for the positive response to our design that is 100% made, manufactured and distributed in Canada. 100% of the money goes to Canadians!

Thank you for your support! Dave.

Sweet , cause this is an annoying thing with mine.

How long till you figure to market ?
    Last edited by hical.ca; 04-14-2015 at 01:57 PM.

I went by hical today and took a look at the prototype. Here's a few notes:

The machining is excellent. The prototype is solid and machined well
    While I didn't see it installed on a complete rifle, I saw it attached to a complete action, and it is on there really solid. Attachment points are solid, and design is clever.
    Saw a modified bolt, mags drop free with ease, and modifications also ensure the bolt doesn't shear the reed lips off the mags
    Another note is that the baseplate on the XCR mags seem like they have the same dimensions as the LAR mags, so magpul ranger plates should fit on them (don't quote me on this, I only eyeballed it)
    According to Dave, final versions will have a cutout to make it easier to grip our shorter XCR pistol mags

I also compared this to a G9A and I can tell you that while it looks similar, it's pretty different.
    - magwell is flared unlike the GA9
    - mag release mechanism is a different design to allow mags to secure and drop better and prevent binding
    - rifle attachment mechanism is a little different shape, for a better attachment to the action using the factory mag release and trigger group
    - magwell looked a bit deeper
    - final version will have a cutout for gripping our shorter mags better

I personally don't see any legal nor ethical issues with the development this product. It's clearly an evolution of the G9/A, with improved features. The bottom line is, there's very designs that allow attachment of an adapter to the SKS action. If our society didn't allow us to evolve and produce improved products, we'd all still be using 32" televisions made by Magnavox. These will be Canadian products, produced by Canadians for Canadians. This is evident with the Canada centric features like planned cutout for our tiny stinkin mags.

Hical, make the thing so I can buy it already!!

As Thursty said it would be nice to be able to use the same mag as a cz-vz. Keep up the good work Hi-CAL. Have delt with you several times and have had great service.
    NO LIMITS FIND IT FACE IT

Super Moderator
    Once again, there are guidelines for posting in a business' forum. Review them and respect them. There are many forums on this site. The ones that the businesses pay for are for their use in promoting their business.
    Last edited by tiriaq; 04-14-2015 at 08:13 AM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer lone ranger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by voncosbies View Post
    I love the idea, but there is no way I could justify spending that much on an sks. With that said, a lot of people will!
    A vz 58 is close to $1,000 bucks, ...sks, $189, +$250 = $439 for a 10round semi auto ! That's cheap.
    A victimless crime is a term used to refer to actions that have been ruled illegal but which are argued not to directly violate or threaten the rights of any other individual.

This will sound like an astonishingly stupid question, but please bear with it. It obviously won't feed correctly, but will a 5.56 mag fit and index semi-correctly with this adapter? I'm aware it's idiotic to attempt to feed 5.56 in a 7.62 SKS, but I have a ridiculous side-project which would be made considerably with the ability to fit an AR-pattern mag. I'm open to doing mods to both the adapter and mags if necessary to make it fit up better. Thanks for your help, and please consider this post heavily in support of the project.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer luke s's Avatar
    ^^^7.62 and 5.56 AR mags have the mag catch in the exact same spot

Quote Originally Posted by Darkpr0 View Post
    This will sound like an astonishingly stupid question, but please bear with it. It obviously won't feed correctly, but will a 5.56 mag fit and index semi-correctly with this adapter? I'm aware it's idiotic to attempt to feed 5.56 in a 7.62 SKS, but I have a ridiculous side-project which would be made considerably with the ability to fit an AR-pattern mag. I'm open to doing mods to both the adapter and mags if necessary to make it fit up better. Thanks for your help, and please consider this post heavily in support of the project.
    Yes, the will work with any AR style mag.
    High Caliber Service Corp, Proudly serving the shooting Community since 2008. Canada’s largest assortment of Firearm accessories online & in store, 33154 1st ave, Mission, BC. V2V 1G4

We offer PAL, RPAL & CORE courses for the Fraser valley/ Vancouver area: www.palcore.ca

Call us at 604-BUY-GUNS, (289-4867) or at hical@shaw.ca

Like us on Facebook for all the latest info

SERVICE is our middle name!

i'm in for at least 1

CGN Regular
    Ive contacted Hical about mine.

Have to say that they have been helpful and informative,looking forward to getting my Chino SKS fitted with one of these and fitting a wartak rail and scope.