Page 110 of 123 FirstFirst ... 90100102103104105106107108109110111112113114115116117118120 ... LastLast
Results 1,091 to 1,100 of 1228

Thread: ATRS Modern hunter specs, pics and range reports

Quote Originally Posted by onetwentyish View Post
    To clear up my previous post, what I meant was that unlike you suggested (1*), I was not implying to redesign the lower to Gen 3 pmags, I was saying the MH magwell geometry should be modeled after the gold standard of .308 stanag pattern of rifles, the KAC SR25. This rifle is what Magpul and most other manufacturers are going to use as the bench mark of tolerances. Designing a rifle to one mag is silly just like you suggest, but unfortunately in essence that is almost what has been done thus far with the MH. I am relegated to hunting down mythical G2 pmags and XCR mags. If the MH had the same internal dimensions as an SR25, the Gen 3 pmags would not be an issue, and Gen 2 could still be used as well, along with a duffle bag full of other off brand manufacturers.

I am also curious what all the revisions are for the most recent batch that you hint at in 2*

Lastly I would like to offer the suggestion in reference to 3*, you could find a couple SR25's to measure up, and base your geometry and tolerances off of. This should be an adequate compromise of tolerances and geometry to allow for a reliable use of a wider variety of .308 stanag mags. If it works for the KAC SR25, it should be transferable to the MH since they share so many basic characteristics together.

Lastly, in my opinion, I would rather improve upon the design, rather than have a work around. Always room for improvement, and this would be a good step.
    I use DPMS brand SR25 pattern mags, work flawlessly. (Damned expensive though)

According to Magpul, they've worked with several firearm manufacturers to "Improve the design" of the magwell, hence the Gen 3 mags. If KAC wants to be compatible with Gen 3 mags, they're going to have to change their magwell design too.

IMI mags are designed for SR25 pattern but the dimensions aren't consistent from one mag to another.

ATRS isn't the only manufacturer that's been thrown through a loop due to Magpuls decision, google "308 Pmag issues"

CGN Regular
    To clear up my previous post, what I meant was that unlike you suggested (1*), I was not implying to redesign the lower to Gen 3 pmags, I was saying the MH magwell geometry should be modeled after the gold standard of .308 stanag pattern of rifles, the KAC SR25. This rifle is what Magpul and most other manufacturers are going to use as the bench mark of tolerances. Designing a rifle to one mag is silly just like you suggest, but unfortunately in essence that is almost what has been done thus far with the MH. I am relegated to hunting down mythical G2 pmags and XCR mags. If the MH had the same internal dimensions as an SR25, the Gen 3 pmags would not be an issue, and Gen 2 could still be used as well, along with a duffle bag full of other off brand manufacturers.

I am also curious what all the revisions are for the most recent batch that you hint at in 2*

Lastly I would like to offer the suggestion in reference to 3*, you could find a couple SR25's to measure up, and base your geometry and tolerances off of. This should be an adequate compromise of tolerances and geometry to allow for a reliable use of a wider variety of .308 stanag mags. If it works for the KAC SR25, it should be transferable to the MH since they share so many basic characteristics together.

Lastly, in my opinion, I would rather improve upon the design, rather than have a work around. Always room for improvement, and this would be a good step.
    Just to set the record straight here, I lent ATRS my SR25 specifically so they could use it to help in the reverse engineering several years ago. I know they had a DPMS and an ASA rifle in stock back then so I would assume that they used those as well to compare dimensions with.
    My SR25 does NOT work well with gen 3 Pmags yet functions perfectly with gen 2s.
    I also remember them asking to borrow and XCR-M so as to check magwell dimensions specifically on that rifle as well. How many XCR owners are able to run Gen 3 Pmags I wonder? I ask that as the only experience I haveis with my shooting partners XCR-M, maybe he has a lemon?
    Personally I find the metal XCR mags not only function flawlessly in my Modern Hunter, but they also allow for a bit longer OAL than plastic mags do. Maybe that is 1 of the reasons they work well, longer internally so a better chance of navigating the feed path?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer onetwentyish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by no-one special View Post
    Just to set the record straight here, I lent ATRS my SR25 specifically so they could use it to help in the reverse engineering several years ago. I know they had a DPMS and an ASA rifle in stock back then so I would assume that they used those as well to compare dimensions with.
    My SR25 does NOT work well with gen 3 Pmags yet functions perfectly with gen 2s.
    I also remember them asking to borrow and XCR-M so as to check magwell dimensions specifically on that rifle as well. How many XCR owners are able to run Gen 3 Pmags I wonder? I ask that as the only experience I haveis with my shooting partners XCR-M, maybe he has a lemon?
    Personally I find the metal XCR mags not only function flawlessly in my Modern Hunter, but they also allow for a bit longer OAL than plastic mags do. Maybe that is 1 of the reasons they work well, longer internally so a better chance of navigating the feed path?
    Interesting, thanks for chiming in, I was under the impression that they had based the magwell off of a few AR10's, but not went to the extent of using an SR25. Its interesting that you mention the issues with Gen 3 pmags in your SR25, it seems like many Americans use Gen 3 with out issue which is why I was under the impression this was not exclusively the Gen 3 pmags causing these issues.
    "I dont usually bring targets im more of a dirt shooter." -daniel_250r
    I am the "small fringe minority" with "unacceptable" views.
    CCFR 🍁 CSSA

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Epoxy7's Avatar
    Interesting, thanks for chiming in, I was under the impression that they had based the magwell off of a few AR10's, but not went to the extent of using an SR25. Its interesting that you mention the issues with Gen 3 pmags in your SR25, it seems like many Americans use Gen 3 with out issue which is why I was under the impression this was not exclusively the Gen 3 pmags causing these issues.
    There was an issue back around 2012/2013 with the initial release of the gen3 SR25 Pmag. Magpul put out a notice, recalled the mags and made sure their SR25 pattern mags worked with the LMT MWS. The LMT MWS and KAC SR25 share the same lower design. The Geometry is the same. Hence the recall. The mag is designed around the SR25/LMT MWS geometry. Not the other way around. So unless you have one of those few still in the wild original gen3 pmags then they work very well with either the LMT or the KAC.
    Last edited by Epoxy7; 12-19-2016 at 02:01 AM.

Business Member alberta tactical rifle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aakoksal View Post
    Sorry to jump into the discussion, I've been away for some time. I do have a MH, and don't have any magazine to feed it. Any suggestion as to which magazine I could source here in Calgary?

Thanks...
    The XCR-M mags are your best bet, we can hook you up. we also have some IMI mags and if you brought your rifle in we can find some that will fit. The IMI mags have varying tolerances so for non local folks not the best alternative.
    Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply

Canada's Premier Precision Rifle Manufacturer

Please email all inquiries to info@albertatacticalrifle.com NOT through PMs

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

http://www.albertatacticalrifle.com/
    Long Distance is BETTER than being there

CGN Ultra frequent flyer G.Mitchell's Avatar
    Thought I should breath some life into the thread with some new pics. It's not finished yet but getting there!

Sorry if I missed it but have you posted a weight on this beauty?
    Looking for members in Grande Prairie Alberta interested in wilderness skills, survival skills, camping, prepping, shooting, etc.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Mine uses the xcr mags, 10 and 5, without a mag failure over some 600+ cycles. I have some IVI but have not used them yet as I like the metal xcr.

^^^^
    Same, nothing but joy with XRM pistol mags. I'm still searching for a few 5 rounders so I can legally hunt with this amazing rifle.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrXenon View Post
    What do you need a brake on a 5.56mm firearm for? You should just slip a maxipad under your bra strap to dampen the hellish recoil.
    Spock to Kirk:
    "Logic dictates Captain. If Pro-Gunners are as violent as Anti-Gunners say they are, there would not be any Anti-Gunners left."

CGN Ultra frequent flyer wayupnorth's Avatar
    when you've finished with Christmas rush and your bored and want to go shoot something.
    that is the perfect time for your co-worker to bring his Modern Hunter in 308 out with hand rolled tuned rounds and shoot some ice off the river!!!
    was mid -20's with the sun going down when we did this.
    was the 2nd time ive gotten to shoot his gun, i wish the wife would green light me to buy one, bloody thing is a work of art!
    we where shooting at 115m than went out to 250m than he went out further after that (i didnt catch what the range finder had it at) sure is fun to watch ice chunks explode!

2nd vid

Things either are what they appear to be;
    or they neither are, nor appear to be;
    or they are, and do not appear to be;
    or they are not, and yet appear to be.

I know these aren't designed for cheap ammo but has anyone tried an MH with 147gr. PMC FMJBT. I was thinking it would be good plinking ammo. If it's no good I'll just handload like crazy but the PMC is nice and cheap.
    "Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars"