$vboptions[bbtitle]

Page 120 of 120 FirstFirst ... 100110112113114115116117118119120
Results 1,191 to 1,199 of 1199

Thread: ATRS Modern hunter specs, pics and range reports

  1. #1191
    I have no life Sqr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    2,850
    Quote Originally Posted by cr5 View Post
    So I did a little more loading and testing today, 35 rounds and one FTF which was another bolt over cartridge which is probably a magazine problem, I set that one to the side and will keep a record of which mags have issues. Seems to work fine with the JP silent captured buffer system with the heavy spring.
    Best load was 43.1gr of H100V under a 129gr SST which made a 3 shot 0.5 moa group but when I made 5 more to test again it did 1.9moa, 3 went into 0.6moa but 2 wandered off. I blame myself for the crappy 5 shot group and will be making more of these for further testing. ES on the five was 16fps and were just over 2700fps MV.
    Loaded up to 44gr but those had a little more primer flow around the firing pin dimple so stopped increasing charge.

    As a side note the charging handle stayed locked forward except for one string of higher charge loads.

    Gave it a good cleaning and lube so it's ready for the next outing.

    Disclaimer, I am posting powder charges for my results with my 6.5 Creedmoor Modern Hunter. I can not guarantee these loads are safe in your rifle so work up carefully checking for signs of pressure as you go. I accept no responsibility for damage or injury if you copy these loads and use them in your rifle.
    Has any MH/V owner tried an alternate buffer system from the JP Silent Captured System? I have found that my AR rifle gas system cycling varies from load setup to load setup with the JP. The silent system is tuneable with the number of weights and spring options but it can be time consuming to find the correct setup.
    CCFR -- CSSA -- NRA

  2. #1192
    Super GunNutz cr5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    5,521
    Quote Originally Posted by Sqr View Post
    Has any MH/V owner tried an alternate buffer system from the JP Silent Captured System? I have found that my AR rifle gas system cycling varies from load setup to load setup with the JP. The silent system is tuneable with the number of weights and spring options but it can be time consuming to find the correct setup.
    I wouldn't spend too much time on the buffer system as long as it's cycling reliably. Once you settle on a load you can spend some time fine tuning it. Pretty much just keep going heavier till it stops cycling then go back till it's reliable again, go back a couple steps to make sure it cycles in the field if your shooting from a little less than ideal position and you don't have your shoulder behind it nicely.
    It won't change the accuracy or anything like that, all you're doing is making it run smoother by balancing the recoil system to force exerted on the carrier by the gas system. You will notice a smoother recoil and it won't be beating up the action as much.
    As I said earlier though, if you feel you need to add a bunch of weight and increased spring rates an adjustable gas block would be a better way to get things under control. The JP captured system is more for fine tuning and not really for hiding the fact the rifle is severely over gassed.
    I think I'll be looking into adding an adjustable gas block to mine down the road. I'm not sure it actually needs it but it isn't overly expensive and after owning my KelTek RFB and seeing how it can let you tune to shoot any load smoothly I like the idea of having one.
    I eventually plan to have a light varminting load, a mid weight coyote load and a heavier hunting/long range load. This is one of the reasons I started with the 129gr instead of going heavy with a 140gr, if I find a nice load for the 129gr it will cover all bases for a while and let me move onto load development for one of my other rifles.
    Last edited by cr5; 04-20-2017 at 11:23 AM.
    Please insure with signature all items sold to me on the EE. You are responsible until it is in my hands and if CP loses it you still owe me whatever it is. We can negotiate these costs but I expect it to be insured. If you don't like it don't sell to me.

    By the power vested in me as God of my world.
    Infractions insmactions, sometimes it's worth it.

  3. #1193
    Big Mouth TinkerBell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Fort St John B.C.
    Posts
    1,197
    you can also buy adjustable carrier keys to adjust gas right at the bolt..... cheap fix
    If your weapon selection is based on something other than objective factors like concealability, reliability, and shootability then you’re doing it wrong.
    -- Todd Green, 2011


  4. #1194
    CGN Regular Uisge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Edmonton Alberta
    Posts
    267
    Hit the range today with my freshly installed Proof research barrel (thanks Shaun). Disclaimer: shot at 40 yards at Pheonix Range, no rear rest, rubber block front rest. Not every pull was perfect, more than a couple errors on my part. I'm sure this makes all the data worthless but I am more than happy, plus it was a lot of fun. I tried to focus on ammo meant for this type of platform but had 10 rounds of Norma match left in the safe so it snuck in there. Can't wait to stretch the legs at some distance, the balance was substantially improved with the carbon fibre barrel. It's definely lighter, after 20 or so rounds I went to the gun counter and grabbed myself an enhanced rubber butt pad for the UBR.

    Targets are 1" square graph paper.

    5 round groups except the single group which was 10rds, moderate pace, no cool down between shots, couple minutes between groups.

    Ammo used:
    Hornady Black 155 and 168gr AMAX
    Norma BTHP Match 168gr
    Federal Fusion MSR 150gr
    168gr A-Max and IMR 4895 S&B primers handloads loaded for old barrel, will be starting a new workup as they were a little hot in the new barrel.

    In my estimation the 155 gr Hornady Black was the best shooter and would be worth trying if you are looking for factory ammo ($37-box).







    Last edited by Uisge; 04-22-2017 at 08:05 PM.

  5. #1195
    Super GunNutz cr5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    5,521
    Quote Originally Posted by Uisge View Post
    Hit the range today with my freshly installed Proof research barrel (thanks Shaun). Disclaimer: shot at 40 yards at Pheonix Range, no rear rest, rubber block front rest. Not every pull was perfect, more than a couple errors on my part. I'm sure this makes all the data worthless but I am more than happy, plus it was a lot of fun. I tried to focus on ammo meant for this type of platform but had 10 rounds of Norma match left in the safe so it snuck in there. Can't wait to stretch the legs at some distance, the balance was substantially improved with the carbon fibre barrel. It's definely lighter, after 20 or so rounds I went to the gun counter and grabbed myself an enhanced rubber butt pad for the UBR.

    Targets are 1" square graph paper.

    5 round groups except the single group which was 10rds, moderate pace, no cool down between shots, couple minutes between groups.

    Ammo used:
    Hornady Black 155 and 168gr AMAX
    Norma BTHP Match 168gr
    Federal Fusion MSR 150gr
    168gr A-Max and IMR 4895 S&B primers handloads loaded for old barrel, will be starting a new workup as they were a little hot in the new barrel.

    In my estimation the 155 gr Hornady Black was the best shooter and would be worth trying if you are looking for factory ammo ($37-box).







    Thought I read that the UBR wouldn't work on a MH, glad to see that is not correct and I may have to put mine on and see how I like it.

    I'm also going to throw a big thanks out to ATRS, I went in on Monday morning with my rifle and they were able to fit me in and smooth out the back side of the barrel extension lugs so they don't scrape up my brass as badly on ejection any more and they also polished up the feed ramps for me. Great service squeezing in an out of town customer to save me from having to drive 4 hours each way to come pick it up at a later date.

    As soon as the weather gets a little better I'll be doing some more load testing (maybe tomorrow)
    Please insure with signature all items sold to me on the EE. You are responsible until it is in my hands and if CP loses it you still owe me whatever it is. We can negotiate these costs but I expect it to be insured. If you don't like it don't sell to me.

    By the power vested in me as God of my world.
    Infractions insmactions, sometimes it's worth it.

  6. #1196
    CGN Regular Uisge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Edmonton Alberta
    Posts
    267
    The UBR works but requires a little file work. Nothing major just take it down until the slide doesn't hit the stock. I left mine so it just touches the stock when all the way back, it's slowly wearing a little groove in what's left. And that's a great idea, I noticed the lug scratches as well. And I second that, they fit me in on short notice as well for the barrel swap. Can't wait for that 6.5 Grendel Varmint! Gotta get some guns sold!

  7. #1197
    Super GunNutz cr5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    5,521
    Quote Originally Posted by Uisge View Post
    The UBR works but requires a little file work. Nothing major just take it down until the slide doesn't hit the stock. I left mine so it just touches the stock when all the way back, it's slowly wearing a little groove in what's left. And that's a great idea, I noticed the lug scratches as well. And I second that, they fit me in on short notice as well for the barrel swap. Can't wait for that 6.5 Grendel Varmint! Gotta get some guns sold!
    If mine was in 308 the scratches would bother me less since I have sooooooo much 308 brass but 6.5cm is kinda pricey for brass. I can't afford to replace it every couple loadings.
    Once they release the MV 6.5 grendel version I may have to sell my ACR to fund a MV in 223 with a second upper in 6.5. Maybe once my Cadex sells I'll use the money from that towards a MV
    Decisions decisions, what to sell to pay for the new toys.
    Please insure with signature all items sold to me on the EE. You are responsible until it is in my hands and if CP loses it you still owe me whatever it is. We can negotiate these costs but I expect it to be insured. If you don't like it don't sell to me.

    By the power vested in me as God of my world.
    Infractions insmactions, sometimes it's worth it.

  8. #1198
    HELP! I sold my soul to the internet rally guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,293
    Quote Originally Posted by cr5 View Post
    If mine was in 308 the scratches would bother me less since I have sooooooo much 308 brass but 6.5cm is kinda pricey for brass. I can't afford to replace it every couple loadings.
    Once they release the MV 6.5 grendel version I may have to sell my ACR to fund a MV in 223 with a second upper in 6.5. Maybe once my Cadex sells I'll use the money from that towards a MV
    Decisions decisions, what to sell to pay for the new toys.
    All this hype around the mv in 6.5 grendel really got me looking at this seriously. It would be a great hunting combo for our retarded NB hunting regs, since you can't target shoot or carry a rifle in the wild anywhere except at a range or in the wild with a hunting license. Since Varmint hunting is almost year round it makes sence but the problem with that is only .22 and down cartrige are alowed for varmint (.22lr,.223, 222, 22-250, etc).

    So with that my 223 upper would be great for varmint and a 6.5 gren. Would be awsome for dear!

  9. #1199
    Super GunNutz cr5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    5,521
    Prepped 50 pieces of brass and put together another 10 rounds of 43.1gr Hybrid 100V under 129 SST's. Hopefully be able to get out of the house tomorrow to test them and see if the work ATRS did on the barrel extension helps my brass.
    Please insure with signature all items sold to me on the EE. You are responsible until it is in my hands and if CP loses it you still owe me whatever it is. We can negotiate these costs but I expect it to be insured. If you don't like it don't sell to me.

    By the power vested in me as God of my world.
    Infractions insmactions, sometimes it's worth it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •