Page 21 of 123 FirstFirst ... 1113141516171819202122232425262728293141 ... LastLast

Thread: ATRS Modern hunter specs, pics and range reports

Please do I'm sure it will come in handy for other people in the future. And by other people I mean me.

Hey you guys that have the PRS configurations, would you hunt with that setup or use another stock? In general is the rifle light enough to bush trod for hours?

It feels lighter than I expected, a lightweight no but I would be capable of slinging it for a hike,an older gentleman in the mountains their is lighter choices. It's surprising how the prs actual puts the weight nice and close to your core instead of at the muzzle. It kinda gives you that tavor feeling "sorta".

Quote Originally Posted by M16LR.50 View Post
    Hey you guys that have the PRS configurations, would you hunt with that setup or use another stock? In general is the rifle light enough to bush trod for hours?
    I think with a good 2 point padded sling it would not be too bad. It would not be hard to change from a PRS to something like a CTR. Would only take a few minutes to change out the lower receiver extension. As others have said the PRS adds some rearward weight to balance it out nicely. Realistically by the time you get a scope & bi-pod mounted it will be in the 11-13lb area. My MH weighed 9.2lbs the day I brought it home. This is bare, no mag, no optic, no optic mount. Mine is a 308win 18.6" Proof barrel, ATRS muzzle brake, Fortis Switch 15" keymod handguard & a PRS stock. I will get a more complete review (long overdue) of my MH up at some point this weekend, I only had it out shooting a few times before I left the country May 6th. I just got back from 5 week vacation in Europe yesterday.

quick update, took the 260 out today and put through 20 rounds. LR 129 accubonds with 44 grains h4350 produced 2690FPS with the 18.6 barrel. I am happy to report no failures to feed or fire, using xcr-m 10 pistol mags. As far as accuracy i have to go do another test, fired round 1 and right where it should be, round two almost touching, this is where i thought he boys on CGN are going to love this, but then round 3 2" left, round 4 2" right , round 5 2" down. Now i was on a bipod with no rear bag so i may have been moving that much but didn't think i was quite that bad. Anyway i crimped my rounds and pressure may not have been even on them so next 20 i will not crimp them and repeat my test. Since i had only a few shells left i put a gong out at 400 and dialed it up to see what would happen. i drove 3 bullets over the top of the gong (24" square) and finally dialed down 1 moa from the charts and hit high on the gong, moved it out to 460 yards for my last shot and you guessed it, over the gong. It appears the rifle shoots MUCH flatter than the charts (using isnipe) would have me believe, is there any chart where i can input my data along with various drops from a few different distances and then have the software fill in the rest of the data?

Business Member Rep. ATRS Shaun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mytiburon View Post
    quick update, took the 260 out today and put through 20 rounds. LR 129 accubonds with 44 grains h4350 produced 2690FPS with the 18.6 barrel. I am happy to report no failures to feed or fire, using xcr-m 10 pistol mags. As far as accuracy i have to go do another test, fired round 1 and right where it should be, round two almost touching, this is where i thought he boys on CGN are going to love this, but then round 3 2" left, round 4 2" right , round 5 2" down. Now i was on a bipod with no rear bag so i may have been moving that much but didn't think i was quite that bad. Anyway i crimped my rounds and pressure may not have been even on them so next 20 i will not crimp them and repeat my test. Since i had only a few shells left i put a gong out at 400 and dialed it up to see what would happen. i drove 3 bullets over the top of the gong (24" square) and finally dialed down 1 moa from the charts and hit high on the gong, moved it out to 460 yards for my last shot and you guessed it, over the gong. It appears the rifle shoots MUCH flatter than the charts (using isnipe) would have me believe, is there any chart where i can input my data along with various drops from a few different distances and then have the software fill in the rest of the data?
    I believe Applied Ballistics for android can do exactly what you are asking. It was around $30 on the google store, and I've found it to be worth every penny. On apple products however, I'm not aware of any that will "learn".

Update 2- I got the app for iPhone thanks! Anyways, made another 20 rounds and chronograph them at an average of 2695 with lowest being 2680 and highest 2718. This time I did not use the lee factory die crimp. As far as 100 yard zero I can not get this rifle to group, always 2 that touch and the others an inch or two apart. I will say again that I do not have sand bags or a proper bench and that may have something to do with it, along with maybe I'm using too much magnification. I can't seem to hold still at high powers and maybe should turn the power down, so I will check again.
    I also rechecked my height over bore,fps, etc and check the ballistic charts and proceeded to fire two rounds at 200,300,400,500 and 600. I am happy to report that this time it follows the chart almost bang on. Every shot within 1 moa of target. So I took one shot and if It was high or low I dialed it up or down accordingly 1/4moa and took another to see my best dope. So I have only tried one powder charge and maybe a little less charge would help with groups, but I have to say it's funny thay I can't group at a 100 but can bang the paper out to 600 every shot. Maybe the bullet isn't stabilized yet? In a few weeks I'll hopefully have a final report, from what I see you dial you hit just gotta get a load it likes, one thing for sure I know now out to 600 if you point at it has a hole through it and can not see any reason why i can't hit further, just gotta change locations.

That situation actually doesn't surprise me, I have a rifle in 6.5 creedmoor that shoots better the farther you shoot it. I also have a Les Baer AR in .223 that groups well at 100, but almost shoots better groups at 200 and 300. Also I am sure you have not the sweet spot for load development just yet, and that should help a lot. Also you are right, for great 100 yard groups, a rear bag to take away vibration of a gas gun is definitely needed.
    I am getting very excited to get mine and start dialling it in, mine is in 6.5 creedmoor, and there seems to be good factory ammo around, but may still tackle reloading for it, if I don't get the groups I like.

Last edited by 6MT; 02-26-2017 at 12:43 AM.

I should also note I choose 44gr bk I wanted to get velocity up, just for fun and now I will work up loads in half grain increments and give a report, Being length limited by the mag that's about all I can do other than switch bullets.