Page 7 of 123 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151727 ... LastLast

Thread: ATRS Modern hunter specs, pics and range reports

Quote Originally Posted by driller212 View Post
    I am going to wait a while on the accuracy. One thing I see on these forums over and over is people taking someones word for a firearms accuracy at face value when really there are many factors that make a rifle accurate that people often don't account for. I have no doubt people will get sub MOA groups with this rifle with the right load, optics, and skills. If you want a laser, going with a semi auto is a no-no to begin with, except for a few special cases. For most of us folks here on CGN 1MOA is more than enough for long range target shooting, hunting, and the zombie apocalypse anyways :P

Just my .02c
    I here you Driller212, but I feel that this MH is a special case (it's not that I'm expecting it to compete with precision bolt guns, but it would be nice if it could hold its own against other premium AR-10 rifles) as it's the only available NR .308 semi.-auto. that should be capable of MOA or better accuracy (except for an M1A Match perhaps). It's just not been proven yet with posted targets, but we are early in the ownership stage with only few being received and even fewer getting to the range for ammo. testing...

My patience was running thin however Stormchaser has saved the day...

Cheers D
    Last edited by Zeroed-In; 04-28-2015 at 02:09 AM.
    Gun Control is Being Able to Hit Your Target.

Business Member alberta tactical rifle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyw View Post
    I'm in the same boat, $5000 can go a long way towards other rifles that will easily put down MOA #s.
    Just to clear up some confusion that this thread seems to be taking on.
    The Modern Hunter is $3500.00. The $5k number being thrown around here is for a rifle with MANY upgrades that are NOT required to get a rifle that shoots MOA or better. Things like CFW barrel and CF handguard do NOTHING to enhance accuracy, they are mostly cosmetic and feel nice.

Will 5K invested into a bolt rifle produce better accuracy that 5K invested into a semi auto? Absolutely!! The working components and tolerances within a semi auto all work counter productively to accuracy. The reason bolt rifles are more accurate is simple, simplicity. The lack of moving parts makes a HUGE difference.

From DAY 1 we have been saying sub MOA is attainable from a Modern hunter. We have had several .5 MOA groups shot during our T&E work with this rifle.
    Our main T&E rifles have base model stainless barrels on them and we have posted photos of the groups it has shot all with FACTORY ammo, so I don't really see where all of the doubt is coming from as to whether our rifle will rival any of the AR10 rifles for accuracy.

IF you are wanting a match rifle that shoots sub .5 groups, buy a bolt rifle. IF .5 to 1.0 MOA accuracy is all that is required the Modern Hunter will do that.
    Now that gun show season is over and barrels are starting to come in again in the very near future we should have some range time. The big question in my mind now is, is it worth our time to post photos of targets or not? After all we are the manufacturer so are probably going to photo shop the results anyway.

I expect once more guns get out in the world and guys who can and have the time to work up load development post their experiences this will make a big difference to sales. Being a little cautious is to be expected.
    Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply

Canada's Premier Precision Rifle Manufacturer

Please email all inquiries to info@albertatacticalrifle.com NOT through PMs

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

http://www.albertatacticalrifle.com/
    Long Distance is BETTER than being there

Not to worry. Not everyone is strictly focused on accuracy alone. To have something around 1moa is good enough for me! When im shooting over 400 yrds i have a nice bolt setup... this modern hunter will just be for play

CGN Ultra frequent flyer hawk-i's Avatar
    Are not most reviews done with factory ammo to show the accuracy potential of the rifle being tested? It would be great to see ATRS do a review using various premium brands of ammo....I for one would believe the posted results, as in the long term they would gain nothing by fudging the tests.

Quote Originally Posted by hawk-i View Post
    Are not most reviews done with factory ammo to show the accuracy potential of the rifle being tested? It would be great to see ATRS do a review using various premium brands of ammo....I for one would believe the posted results, as in the long term they would gain nothing by fudging the tests.

Agreed,,. Rick maybe give one of your best shooters the afternoon off with 5 or more types of good factory ammo and lets see what she can do

Business Member alberta tactical rifle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hawk-i View Post
    I can not speak for all brands, but here we use factory match ammo as the test ammo. I know of at least 1 seller whose rifles are guaranteed to be X MOA accurate but only as long as you shoot their proprietary (grossly expensive) ammo.
    Our bolt rifles all come with a .5 MOA accuracy guarantee and that is based on factory match ammo. With hand loads typically we see much better.

Given that we are using the same barrel manufacturers in the Modern Hunter as we do on our bolt rifles, the MH rifles have tremendous potential for accuracy, but I doubt any of us will ever get as good accuracy with any semi auto, as is fairly easy to attain in a bolt rifle.

The last few months have been murder on us simply trying to get parts made and guns built. Between the work load and the drain that all of the gun shows and side trip to meet with the government there just has not been any time to devote to shooting. Having to give up the barrels destined for our personal MH rifles has not helped.
    Hopefully shortly this will change and we will have barrels and time to shoot these guns and develop hand loaded ammo for them.
    Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply

Canada's Premier Precision Rifle Manufacturer

Please email all inquiries to info@albertatacticalrifle.com NOT through PMs

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

http://www.albertatacticalrifle.com/
    Long Distance is BETTER than being there

This looks like a very well rounded rifle. I hope you get all the support needed for this rifle to be a worthwhile venture. I think I'll be getting one.

Quote Originally Posted by alberta tactical rifle View Post
    From DAY 1 we have been saying sub MOA is attainable from a Modern hunter. We have had several .5 MOA groups shot during our T&E work with this rifle.
    Our main T&E rifles have base model stainless barrels on them and we have posted photos of the groups it has shot all with FACTORY ammo, so I don't really see where all of the doubt is coming from as to whether our rifle will rival any of the AR10 rifles for accuracy.

IF .5 to 1.0 MOA accuracy is all that is required the Modern Hunter will do that.

I expect once more guns get out in the world and guys who can and have the time to work up load development post their experiences this will make a big difference to sales. Being a little cautious is to be expected.

Thanks for clarifying all that, I must have missed those posts of the MOA accuracy (all I could remember is one #3 shot group from 50Yds. that looked like one inch other then what Stormchaser/CR5 posted which was in less then ideal conditions using low grade ammo. for the most part) as I was surprised you hadn't already posted some targets up showing the Modern Hunters capabilities.

As I stated previously it is still a little early yet, but I was getting a little impatient however this clarification sets things straight regarding the MH's accuracy capabilities and is appreciated by me as I know others will appreciate it too.

When the time comes to purchase a MH rifle I would only require the SS barrel, so now knowing it's capable of MOA is great news.

As always thanks ATRS for your perseverance and efforts in bringing forward a NR .308 semi.-auto. rifle that is quality through and through; the fact it can shoot as good as it looks is great to here from a reputable source.

Cheers D
    Gun Control is Being Able to Hit Your Target.

This thread has been quiet lately. Any reports on your latest acquisition? Anyone?

Need to receive the acquisition in order to make a report. I'd bug Rick for an update but I'm pretty sure it's still waiting on barrels.