Page 23 of 123 FirstFirst ... 31315161718192021222324252627282930313343 ... LastLast

Thread: ATRS Modern hunter specs, pics and range reports

Quote Originally Posted by michaelg View Post
    Been load-testing with H4350 and Lapua 123g Scenars / Berger 130g VLD target bullets. I'm still refining the load but I'm far enough along where I don't mind sharing the results. Here are my best groups from yesterday:

Rifle: Modern Hunter
    Caliber: 6.5 Creedmoor, 20 inch Proof Research barrel
    Optics: Steiner T5Xi 3-15x
    Speed: 2800fps
    Distance: 100 yards

Group of 5 shots and no fliers

and

Group of 4 shots with 2 fliers
    That should clear up the question of their sub moa capability.
    very impressive shooting, I hope I can half as well with mine!

Quote Originally Posted by redrams9 View Post
    Wow, if I can get my MH Creedmoor to shoot that good, I'll be super super happy! Great groups and going to steal your load development for mine.
    What length of barrel, profile do you have?
    What range are you shooting at?
    Was shooting at 100 yards. H4350 has proven to work very well so far. The loads of 43.6 and 43.8 produced the best groups in the 20inch PRI barrel.. Still have to keep shooting these groups until a clear winner show itself 😜.

There is still room for improvement in these groups:
    - more power in the optic would help for this type of activity
    - I'm loading new unprepped brass and so neck-tension is not consistent
    - my loading press is a simple lee hand press, so room to improve there...

The rifle has been exceedingly polite to the ejected brass... No dents and just a very slight ding at the case mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by ntm View Post
    It does not.
    It's showing promise, but hardly a verdict.
    Exactly.

Also, why don't people include the fliers in their group measurements? I guess it makes them feel better. You can't just discard a shot or two that you don't like. Shoot 100 5 shot groups, measure each group and take the average. That would be a little more credible when making claims in terms of precision. I'm not speaking about just the MH here either.

With that said; I want one! I find it impossible to decide on a caliber however.

I would absolutely agree with you that people don't like to show or include "fliers", in their pics but, on average, if that's the way they compare all their guns, then it still has some validity, as long as people use the same approach with all their reports. Also like to point out, that to solely judge a rifle by a couple person's groups is a bit unfair in that we all have different talent to shoot groups, ammo quality and choice is a huge factor in a gun's accuracy, and it may make a gun look much worse then it might be in another's hands? With more and more people all showing favourable MH range reports, it probably will be a very accurate gun, at least in my mind. Mine should be here in a few weeks, and I have great confidence that it'll be a s good as my other high end AR stuff. Time will tell...
    I have had a number of AR platforms over the years, and after a while, even with fliers, you can get a good judgement on a gun compared to older guns, as long as you measure the same way, each time, even if that way is not how others would like. I have owned both an XCR-M and L version, and loved them but not accurate enough for me, no matter what I tried in them, a Wyndham VEX that I never shot great but the guy I sold it too used handholds and shot the lights out with it, a Daniel Defense DDM5 that was so so, and now a JP-15 and Les Baer Supervarminter that are amazingly accurate compared to my older stuff. So even though I probably don't measure or report the way others might, I can definitely tell anyone that my latest guns are twice as accurate as my older ones at printing groups. If the MH can hang with my JPs and Les Baers, then I will be super impressed. Not sure how anyone could expect the MH to be better then that, and if it is that accurate, then for an average shooter like me, that's as good as it gets. Again, time will tell, and I will be happy to report my findings, good or bad, after a couple range trips.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Stormchaser's Avatar
    Hmmm ... I might already be on ignore but I'll add a couple more for fun.

These are a couple of older ones when I first received my modern hunter and grabbed some 2 yr old 155gr Hornady steel case match the I had sitting in the garage. She loved this stuff but I have not been able to find it since.

Again not bad for 100 with a 10x scope.

Here is the one flier that you guys are talking about.

Business Member alberta tactical rifle's Avatar
    There are fliers and fliers. To have ideal set up and complete control on trigger and the rifle sends a shot away from the grouping is a flier in my vernacular.
    Many shooters know when they pull a shot off of point of aim, and some consider those to be fliers as well.
    It is important to know and realize there is a difference.
    The first is probably a rifle issue, the latter is 100% shooter issue. Both can mess up a decent group, the problem is that when posting a photo of a group knowing whether the "flier" is the former or latter.

On the weekend I finally got some trigger time in with my own MH, with hand loads it is showing promise but is not what i call stellar, so more work is required. I have 1 load that is doing .75 to 1.0 when I do my part, but I am now skeptical the 175 SMKs and Varget are what this particular rifle does best with, so more experimenting is in order.
    Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply

Canada's Premier Precision Rifle Manufacturer

Please email all inquiries to info@albertatacticalrifle.com NOT through PMs

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

http://www.albertatacticalrifle.com/
    Long Distance is BETTER than being there

CGN Ultra frequent flyer hawk-i's Avatar
    ATRS, is 7mm-08AI an option on the MH?

Quote Originally Posted by hawk-i View Post
    It is but I would not recommend it simply due to the total lacking of ammo suitable and the added hassle for reloading.
    Being an auto loader reloading will require small base dies, which are not commonly available in 7mm08. You could use 308 SB dies and change the stem and ball, then run the now sized case into a 7mm08 die to get the neck sized.

Personally although 7mm08 is a neat caliber I would lean towards 260 or 308 for simplicity. I don't see the 7 being of any great advantage over the other 2, YMMV

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Stormchaser's Avatar
    In my opinion the best part of the Modern Hunter is the offhand weight and comfort of shooting, that and fast follow up shots is a blast!

Quote Originally Posted by hawk-i View Post
    Sorry, I did not see the AI attached to the cartridge. NO it is not offered and frankly I doubt it would feed well at all in a gas gun for many reasons.