AR500 Gong Sets - Available Now!

Had my set out at Sibald public range the other day, I was very surprised to see my SVT 40 put serious splashes in these plates at the furthest bank of the range, which ive been told is 100-120 yards. I was using MFS 185gr.

Had my set out at Sibald public range the other day, I was very surprised to see my SVT 40 put serious splashes in these plates at the furthest bank of the range, which ive been told is 100-120 yards. I was using MFS 185gr.

Any chance you could email me a picture at info@albertatacticalrifle.com ? Some wear is inevitable, and relatively minor cratering at shorter ranges <100 yrds, depending on velocity etc. is not abnormal. That being said, if it's concerning you, please send me a couple of pictures so we can see if this is regular wear or not.

MFS will destroy that steel...regardless of AR500 rating...good to know as I have some steel plates to use for rifle matches.
thanks
My friends son was loading mags for me It had a mix of winchester white box and MFS. I had to do a double take when I saw the hole as it was huge.

Mfs is steel core. I had some mfs .308 that put a hole right threw a 1/2 plate at 80 yards.

MFS ammo uses steel jackets and a lead cores actualy.

Ideally you would use chains as they allow the plate to deflect the bullet downward instead of absorbing all the energy. Was your plate hanging on chains or solidly mounted to something?

Ive shot chained up 3/8-1/2" thick railroad tie plates(mild steel i think) with steel core 7.62x54r and it only puts craters.

MFS ammo uses steel jackets and a lead cores actualy.

Ideally you would use chains as they allow the plate to deflect the bullet downward instead of absorbing all the energy. Was your plate hanging on chains or solidly mounted to something?

Ive shot chained up 3/8-1/2" thick railroad tie plates(mild steel i think) with steel core 7.62x54r and it only puts craters.

Thats what I thought, MFS doesnt advertise their FMJ's being steel core... I had the plates hanging from cut up mud flaps. ive shot the same plate at the same distance with my 147gr steel core corrosive ammo and it would barely put a ding in the plate. But the 185gr MFS puts pea-squashed pea size craters in it :O

Last edited:
putting them on chains makes all the difference, then you get the tilt so the spalling goes down, as well as the movement absorbing much of the impact. Most manufacturers will recommend either using a chain or a spring system for this reason

Back
Top Bottom