Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: remington 7600 pump action synthetic stock carbine barrel in 35 whelen

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Remington needs to put a stock on them without the Monte Carlo configuration so that you can get low enough to utilize the sights.

7600 with plastic shotgun(field) stock, 35 Whelen, gloss blued 18" barrel with rifle sights?

Sorry gravel... they have made them before for our market. 6 came from the shot show, for Ellwood Epps maybe 5 years ago. One is in my safe, another in my buddies safe. All they needed was 6 to order. Price was silly cheap too.

CGN Regular
    You can scratch my name off the list. A fellow CGNer had one for sale NIB. 35 Whelen carbine, 18.5in barrel with non Monte Carlo stock. Should be here next Thursday.

The safety is easily reversed to lefty, they are surprisingly accurate for a non bolt gun.
    ΜΟΛSΩΝ ΛΑΒΕΛ

I would love one in 35 Whelen with the synthetic stock and short barrel! I have been hunting with one for years in 30-06, and with the 18.5" barrel and synthetic stock it is a really handy and durable gun.
    I have found it to be really accurate as well, kept the freezer full a long time.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer homeboy1's Avatar
    Could Remington not just make a run of barrels in the 35 Whelen. I think that you could easily swap out the 3006 barrel.

what's so good about .35 whelen?
    I honestly never heard of it.

CGN Regular
    The 35 Whelen is a solid medium bore cartridge based on the 30-06 case. It is one of (if not the) most efficient cartridges out there. You can safely handload a 225 grain .358 cal bullet to 2700 fps without too much punishment on the shooter. These bullets have good sectional density and a large frontal area and are excellent at anchoring game. Would other cartridges do the same??? Yep, but they are not the Whelen

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy39 View Post
    The 35 Whelen is a solid medium bore cartridge based on the 30-06 case. It is one of (if not the) most efficient cartridges out there. You can safely handload a 225 grain .358 cal bullet to 2700 fps without too much punishment on the shooter. These bullets have good sectional density and a large frontal area and are excellent at anchoring game. Would other cartridges do the same??? Yep, but they are not the Whelen
    Efficient perhaps, but not the most efficient. The 338-06 is even more efficient. I dont know what it is, but you can toss the same weight bullets at even higher velocities with the 338-06. Perhaps due to less surface area of the bullet to cause friction on the barrel? I dunno. But if you check the numbers in a reloading book you'll find the 338-06 throws 200s faster than the 30-06, and 225s faster than the 35 Whelen.

I was in love with the concept of the 35 Whelen for the last two years, but recently got into a discussion here about the 338-06. This has gotten me thinking the 338 is the better choice for an oddball cartridge... The only issue is finding factory-made ammo is hard to do, and quite expensive. Plus its a pretty rare chambering for factory rifles, so to make good use of this caliber you are generally limited to reloading and making your own rifle (which could be as easy as a barrel swap if you already have a rifle with a 30-06 boltface.)

Still a pretty darn cool cartridge though, regardless of its performance compared to the 338-06. I would totally buy one over making a 338-06 if I saw one I liked whenever I get around to buying something in this class of cartridge.
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

CGN Regular
    Suther, you should check out the rifleshooter article from Spring 2005. The author there gives the nod to the Whelen (whatever that means). Both are super though and projectile options are better with the 338. I built my Whelen a couple years back off a savage action. I used a 22 inch semi bull shilen barrel. It was a tough decision but something about the history of the Whelen did it for me. Turns out it shoots like a dream. Suther, you should go for it. For under $1k you could have your semi custom 338-06

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast