Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Niagara area.

CGN frequent flyer

Hello from Niagara area.

Hey peoples...

Just a quick hello from the Niagara area. Signed up for both non-restricted and restricted courses, as well as the hunter education course, should be doing them in Feb 2007.

My goal is to safely and successfully hunt grouse, pheasant, duck & geese. Hopefully I will make it to hunting deer as well, kind of the final goal.

I plan to get a membership at the Silverdale club as it's only 5 minutes from my house (7 if I drive through Timmies). I am planning on doing a tour of their place before making any commitment though. If anyone has some experience there, please feel free to speak up. All opinions are welcome.

I am planning my first firearm puchase to be either a Benelli Nova, Supernova or Winchester 11-87. I am not sure at this point. I plan to do a lot of trap/skeet practice at whichever club I join in preparation to hunt. Once again, if anyone has any opinions as to what gun would be my best starter, feel free to make your opinion known.

My thoughts on the gun choice really comes down to a nice pump vs. an inexpensive semi, and what options there are available for a rifled slug barrel for my eventual deer hunt.

I will eventually take up target shooting with a handgun, but the purchase is not in my budget for 2007. 2007 is reserved for preparing for some yummie grouse, pheasant and waterfowl, and maybe a deer if I have the opporunity.

That's who I am, and if anyone in the Niagara region wants to teach/mentor a relative newbie, feel free to contact me. As well, if there are any hunters looking for someone to come along, I am here.

Thanks,
    Corey
    Last edited by coreyd; 12-20-2006 at 06:13 PM.

Welcome to CGN, Corey.
    I am sure you will find this to be the best gun forum around.
    How did you learn of us?
    Have a look at the Newbie FAQ section. A link can be found in my signature line below.
    I hope you enjoy your visits here!

CGN frequent flyer
    Hey tootall... I think I originally found this site from a link on shotgunworld.com... I think, but I am an avid fisherman and lurk the fishontario website, which lead me over to the huntontario website, and I think I had seen a few links there pointing over here. Either way, posting traffic on some of those sites are a little slow, and I was looking for a site with a bit more action going on, and this seems to be the place.

I will admit though, my first impression of the name canadiangunnutz was a little mislead by the term 'nutz'... My first thought really was that it was a more radical type of forum. Obviously now I know better.

I actually spent about 2 hours yesterday reading through the newbie section, and I did learn quite a bit... but I did not see the answers to the 2 questions I posed in my post, which are more specific than some of the general overviews.

Either way, I will make my daily visits here. Obviously I won't have a lot to offer for a while, but the info that is here is priceless.

cd.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer ontgunner's Avatar
    Welcome aboard! :D
    Looks like you've done your research, though you may want to check out the Remington 11-87! (The 870 is also a very good firearm, with a wide array of aftermarket items available for it).

CGN frequent flyer
    Ahhh yes... I see the error in my ways. Just goes to prove how much of a newbie I am. Maybe in a year I won't make mistakes like that.

Really my main concern is which one will server me better in the long term. The little bit of hunting I did when I was younger was with a Benelli, which is why I lean towards it. As long as it has interchangable chokes and I can get a slug barrel for the gun I will be happy. I would rather a semi though, which is the reason for mentioning the Remington 11-87. Either way, maybe in the 2008 budget I will get a nice Benelli semi

Oh well, we'll see.

cd.

PM sent
    The only thing that makes the difference between a dangerous gun and a safe gun is not it's barrel length, it's capacity, it's caliber, it's model or it's mechanism, it is the person holding it.

Corey, there's a bunch of us Gunnutz in the Niagara region. I am a member at Maple Leaf. CdnGunner is a member at Niagara Regional (next door to Silverdale). Between us all we have most types of firearms and archery equipment. PM me if you want to set something up.
    CCFR, CSSA, NFA

A society that does not trust its Citizens with individually owned weapons really does not trust its Citizens - TJ Mullin

Hey Coreyd,

sean141544 is a nice guy, he showed me his fine shotguns.

Santa brings me a new scope hopefully tomorrow. I'm planning to put it on my rifle immediately and try it on at the Silversdale club at the weekend. (I'm in Toronto) If you and Sean are planning a meeting this or the next weekend, I might join if you don't mind (depending on the scope) and we would have a little bit more fun with some rifles too. Just drop me a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudi
    Hey Coreyd,

sean141544 is a nice guy, he showed me his fine shotguns.
    Well i wouldn't go as far as saying they are "fine shotguns". But they go bang every time i pull the trigger so it's good enough for me.
    The only thing that makes the difference between a dangerous gun and a safe gun is not it's barrel length, it's capacity, it's caliber, it's model or it's mechanism, it is the person holding it.

CGN frequent flyer
    Good stuff... I hope to use the first 3/4 of next year to practice, practice and practice. Once I feel competent maybe one of you guys can take me for some bird shooting in the bush somewhere. That is my goal is to become a descent hunter and put some food on the table for my family... you know, the kinda food that doesn't have steroid injections and other growth enhancements...

sean definately seems like a nice guy. I hope that in the future once I have more experience I will be able to help out some new shooters like he does.

Thanks guys,
    Corey
    you don't know me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast