Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern VARMINTER .... ?

Maybe a 300 blackout if 7.62 commie is out ?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    I asked about 7.62x 39 but Rick pretty much squashed that idea with his boot LOL
    I'm assuming x39 doesn't fit into some folks version of a varmint rifle and certainly not precision.
    But that said, a purpose built, quality crafted x39 semi auto in non restricted format would be a very practical varmint/medium game rifle.
    some of us don't see the allure of, or have long since ended our fascination with the sks's , CZ/VZ ect ect
    oh well, no sense discussing it, ATRS was pretty darn clear that x39 ain't on the table for the modern varminter.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer carverk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 45ACPKING View Post
    I asked about 7.62x 39 but Rick pretty much squashed that idea with his boot LOL
    I'm assuming x39 doesn't fit into some folks version of a varmint rifle and certainly not precision.
    But that said, a purpose built, quality crafted x39 semi auto in non restricted format would be a very practical varmint/medium game rifle.
    some of us don't see the allure of, or have long since ended our fascination with the sks's , CZ/VZ ect ect
    oh well, no sense discussing it, ATRS was pretty darn clear that x39 ain't on the table for the modern varminter.
    I have a AIA Enfield 7.62x39 it is a sweet round in a Quality rifle I think it would be a grate in a MV for wolfes

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    right now I'm seriously looking at the 22-250 for my next coyote/wolf/lynx rifle, will that cartridge fit into the plans for the modern varmiter I wonder?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer griffin86's Avatar
    right now I'm seriously looking at the 22-250 for my next coyote/wolf/lynx rifle, will that cartridge fit into the plans for the modern varmiter I wonder?
    Overall length of 22-250 is 2.350" and max stanag mag is 2.260".
    CGN Weekly Schedule
    Monday: Can't access the EE! Tuesday: Non-restricted rifles like AR-15? Wednesday: Difference between 223 and 556? Thursday: 9 or 45? Friday: Bear Defense thread Saturday: Why is this prohibited? Sunday: Zombie thread

Business Member alberta tactical rifle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian46 View Post
    It's a non issue really, I can't see anyone asking for warranty or trying to claim liability on something they had modified after purchase.

Even if they did, there is no legal recourse/ground to stand on.
    The problem is that even when the manufacturer is above any legal reproach they get dragged in to a legal action as a matter of course, that is pretty much SOP for lawyers today.

Case in point we got dragged into a legal action a few years ago when a fellow blew his leg off and killed his T.V.. The total exposure that ATRS had was re-blueing a bolt action rifle. ATRS test fired the rifle when it was final assembled after being blued and there was no issue at all until several years later.
    ATRS had no part in the victims drinking and drug intake nor did ATRS load the rifle illegally inside the apartment where this occurred. At no point was ATRS ever in the apartment, nor did we supply ammo or point the rifle or force the rifle to be pointed at the victims T.V. while his leg was in the direct path of the bullet. Being as ATRS was never in said apartment it can be concluded that ATRS did not pull the trigger, so could in no way be held responsible for the rifle blowing off the lower leg of the person who was in possession of the rifle at that time or the T.V. that was killed.
    Responding EMS and police found various hand tools and ammo scattered around close to the victim, the reason for these tools and assorted ammo remain a mystery to this day. How the rifle came to be in the possession of a person with NO PAL is also still a mystery, but the fact remains the victim was in sole possession of the rifle at the time of the occurrence. The suit was dropped after the victim committed suicide 2 years after the incident.

HOWEVER It still cost ATRS many thousands of dollars defending itself to point out the obvious.
    We have to look at many factors before making a decision to do something. In the case of 300 Blackout, we looked deeply into the number of catastrophic failures that have been reported when guys try and run sub-sonic ammo out of long barreled rifles. There "were" several bolt actions being offered, but it seems even they are no longer offered, and the chances of a gas gun failing are mush higher than a bolt gun where ALL the gasses are exhausted out the muzzle.
    We concluded that the incidence was significant enough to NOT offer this.
    We have also looked at the failure rate of bolts for the 6.5 Grendel and 7.62x39 and decided we did not want to have the hassle associated with warranty claims given the high incidence of failure that cartridges have in an AR style platform.
    IF it the AR10 bolt could be employed, it would be better suited to the larger boltfaces these cartridges require,however it is a different platform.

It is all well and fine for a huge conglomerate to "walk on the wild side" when it comes to questionable combinations. They have REALLY deep pockets and can easily ward off, or buy out lawsuits, and due to their volume of sales having a few hundred upset customers means nothing, either to them or the client base. A small manufacturer such as we are can not afford the litigation, nor a bad name in the minuscule market Canada has.

This is also part of the reason that only complete and tested rifles or uppers are being sold, as opposed to DIY kits.
    Last edited by alberta tactical rifle; 12-28-2015 at 01:08 PM. Reason: spelling and addition of info
    Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply

Canada's Premier Precision Rifle Manufacturer

Please email all inquiries to info@albertatacticalrifle.com NOT through PMs

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

http://www.albertatacticalrifle.com/
    Long Distance is BETTER than being there

Business Member alberta tactical rifle's Avatar
    Nope. Wrong bolt face and the cartridge is too long for the mags and feed path.
    Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply

Canada's Premier Precision Rifle Manufacturer

Please email all inquiries to info@albertatacticalrifle.com NOT through PMs

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

http://www.albertatacticalrifle.com/
    Long Distance is BETTER than being there

CGN Ultra frequent flyer carverk's Avatar
    I am very disappointed the MV is only available in 223 what's attractive about AR rifles is it's versatility and accuracy
    I have no don't whatsoever about the accuracy of the new MV but without options in regards to uppers I think I will be out on this one
    The modern Hunter is a hit because of its versatility and accuracy I'm happy with mine What's not to like with 6.5 CM and 338 Federal uppers
    I think I will just order a nother upper for the MH and hold off on MV
    Last edited by carverk; 12-28-2015 at 12:14 PM.

Well, that's ok carverk. They'll sell out each run just as they are.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Gunneegoogoo's Avatar
    After reading Rick's response, I have more respect than ever.

When I first got back into shooting, my initial feeling on ATRS was "snobby" or "elitist" based on some of their pricing, and the "if you want what we offer, sobeit" tone, however my tune has really really changed. You do pay a bit more, no question, however the product you get is executed to a "t", it's backed with unquestioning support, it's thought out very very well (not rushed or built due to public pressure), and I'm proud of the maple leaf that's on it.

-J.