Ishipore 1A Pistols? (Indian made Hi Powers)

LeeEnfieldNo.4_mk1

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
The Hi Power is a very popular model of pistol, however the market is quite narrow. New browning are available but do push the 1k mark on price, and the surplus market is very slim as well.

My understanding is that India still manufactures Browning/FN/Inglis Hi Powers that are a direct Copy of the Inglis No.2 Mk1* pistols. These are called the Pistol Auto 9mm 1A. These would be perfect for those who want a Decent shooting HP, but don't want to bang up a $1000 gun or a collectible milsurp. It also helps that it is a clone of the CF service pistols as well.

I do not know how well these shoot as I google searhed it but came back with little results. However if they do shoot alright and are "service grade" (IE not too pretty but mechanically good) it could be a good everyday shooter or project gun.

Is their any chance you could bring these in? If they would be too pricey then really their is no point but if Marstar can bring them in for a reasonable Price IE somehwere around $500-$600 give or take then they might sell pretty well.

Thanks.

Fairly obsolete and somewhat unreliable. But I understand the attraction from a collection point of view. I would not take them seriously for protection or competition. Been using them for most of my 30 years in the service.

Moe

Fairly obsolete and somewhat unreliable. But I understand the attraction from a collection point of view. I would not take them seriously for protection or competition. Been using them for most of my 30 years in the service.

Moe

Understood. This is where price would be key for me.

This might be kind of a neat package, if they could combine it with say, a genuine Indian army kit of accessories (maybe holster, Indian embossed oil bottle, etc, who knows?), and,... maybe a Ghurka (Khukuri) knife? Just throwing ideas out there. ;-)

Moe

I am going to have to respectfully disagree with you, well partially anyways and My experience with the HP is limited. The Canadian hi Powers are less then perfect, but when you take into consideration the newest one in inventory would have been made in 1945, it is understandable. Most of the Inglis HP's in service would have seen several wars/conflicts, been refurbished multiple times, and likely fired hundreds of thousands of rounds. Even through all this, they do still work quite well if you get a good one. The HP was not one of the most widely adopted military pistols in the world for no reason.

However, if you get a good condition one in good shape that's well made, they are quite reliable, accurate and nice to shoot.

Let me know how you make out with your request.
Scott

General Manager, Rifle Factory Ishapore
P.O. Ichapur-Nawabganj
Dist. 24 Parganas (North)
PIN - 743144 West Bengal, India.
Phone : 2593-7119/20/21/22/23, 2593-8072/73/74
Fax : 033-25937200, 25937142 Email: rfi.ofb@nic.in

Yep... He's thinking of the Sikh Kirpan

No I'm not. See post #13 & #14 above. ;-)

BTW, this was just a fun little suggestion. Didn't mean for a derail of the thread about the pistol due to people unfamiliar with the history of the Ghurkas.
Keep it simple then, and include a postcard of the Taj Majal with the pistol instead, and forget the knife. LOL.

Please resume the discussion on the Ishapore pistols.
Cheers.

Last edited:
Let's just go for Argies... Lots of happy customers and compact models.

Last edited:
I am going to have to respectfully disagree with you, well partially anyways and My experience with the HP is limited. The Canadian hi Powers are less then perfect, but when you take into consideration the newest one in inventory would have been made in 1945, it is understandable. Most of the Inglis HP's in service would have seen several wars/conflicts, been refurbished multiple times, and likely fired hundreds of thousands of rounds. Even through all this, they do still work quite well if you get a good one. The HP was not one of the most widely adopted military pistols in the world for no reason.

However, if you get a good condition one in good shape that's well made, they are quite reliable, accurate and nice to shoot.

1946 actually.
I owned 2 and both were unreliable.
I used/carried them on 4 tours and didn't trust them there, but I had my C8
They are used by so many countries. Notice how most of those countries are third world countries. Don't they buy the best military hardware.
They do not allow a proper thumbs forward grip without activating or deactivating the slide stop.
Mags do not drop free.
Single action with safety - obsolete
Yes they are accurate.

think about this. All trades in the CF that are considered higher risk and more likely to get into a gun fight at close quarters, ie Navy boarding parties, JTF2, CSOR, MP's are issued the SIG p225 and p226. Now why would they do that is the HP was just fine.

As for lasting thousands of rounds. I think they would last as long as most pistols of the era. My 2 wore out quickly. After the 3rd repair I gave up on worn frame rails.

Like I said would be nice for collection and shooting for fun. Just not up to snuff. I will pass on a design that seen little change in 80 years.

Moe

I had an Ishapore 1A1 FAL back in the day, and it was pretty rough. There seemed to be no consideration to fit and finish of any parts. It looked like somebody built it in their back yard with a hammer, file and a flat screwdriver.
It functioned ok, but it sure was nothing to look at.
Now, that being said, I don't think I have ever seen an Ishapore Hi-Power, so I can't officially comment on the quality, but my experience wit Ishapore products such as the FAL and #1 Enfields has shown them to be quite rudimentary.
I also had an Inglis P-35 way back when, and it was pretty nice, not commercial quality, but waay nicer than anything that came out of Ishapore.

Back
Top Bottom