Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First deer rifle

First deer rifle

Been talking to some of my buddies, and have been looking around at options for my first deer/elk/moose rifle. Wondering what some of you guys used/are using.

There’s more good options that you could shake a stick at but if you want just one (who buys just one?) it would be a Remington 700 or a Winchester 70 in 30-06

Personally, for deer I have a Remington 7400 carbine and a Browning BAR Mk3 both in 30-06 and for Moose it’s a Remington 700 in 300winmag. We’ve switched to archery for moose hunting because of a better chance to get tags and eliminate the crowding so it’s an Excalibur 400 TD with a Garmin ranging scope.
    The most asinine quote in Canadian history;
    A “fringe minority” in truckers convoy with “unacceptable views” “don’t represent Canadians”

Super GunNutz MilitaryCollectorMark's Avatar
    I'm left handed so a bit harder to find nice rifles.
    For deer I have a LH carl gustaf in 25-06, LH remington 788 in 243, Zastava in 6.5x55 and a zastava mini mauser in 7.62x39.
    A Tikka or maybe a older Savage 110 might be good choises both are easily rebarreled if you want to go with some different caliber or better barrel
    More guns! We need more guns!!!!
    Finally found a LH 6.5x55 :D Woot!!!!

Proud left hander!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Blackcats's Avatar
    Not a Deer or Elk hunter , But over the years have taken my share of moose with a Rem. 760 in 308 . Light , fast handling and quick follow up shot if needed ! Good luck with what ever you go with but if you get the chance try handling a few different rifles at you local gun shop . Pick what fits you best and remember you'll most likely be waring a heavy coat not a tee shirt !

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Grizzlypeg's Avatar
    308, 30-06 or 270
    NO CONFLICT OF INTEREST TO DISCLOSE “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.” Cesare Beccaria

Thanks! I've had a couple friends recommend the Tika, as well.

Good advice, I'll make sure to do that

If you are looking for a "one size fits all" Start with etiher a .308 or 30-06, ammo is easy to come by. They are affordable and available from most manufactures and they do the job. You can start fine tuning your hunts with other calibers once you have the first rifle that manages it all.

Quote Originally Posted by JLindsay View Post
    Been talking to some of my buddies, and have been looking around at options for my first deer/elk/moose rifle. Wondering what some of you guys used/are using.
    Might wanna go to a gun shop and handle a bunch of different rifles/models and see which one fits you well or one that catches your eye.

As for what you want it chambered in well others gave you some good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by AlbertaJohn View Post
    Might wanna go to a gun shop and handle a bunch of different rifles/models and see which one fits you well or one that catches your eye.

As for what you want it chambered in well others gave you some good advice.
    Good Point on trying it out. You may find that the pull is to big or small. Best to go and pick one up and touch it before purchasing online. Return policy isnt like amazon where you try it on and send it back. Ask to dry fire them so you can feel the triggers, feel the weight and make sure you are happy with it for the caliber for recoil reduction. Talk to a gun shop with staff who are know their stuff, not just cabelas or bass bro.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast