Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2121415161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: Zhukov ak handgaurd

Thanks. I usually place some grease on the threads and clean within an hour after i shoot corrosive.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Lover View Post
    Very nice id64! Careful with that compensator, if you shoot corrosive ammo. Mine was all full of rust the day after I shot it, 'cause I didn't clean it right away.
    Otium reficit vires

Not too heavy, I may take vertical grip off, but drilling holes is a great idea btw!

Quote Originally Posted by BeaverMeat View Post
    How front heavy is it?

Been thinking of drilling out some holes to lighten it a bit. Just waiting for the Bonesteel upper before I go balls deep.
    Otium reficit vires

CGN Ultra frequent flyer BeaverMeat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by id64 View Post
    Not too heavy, I may take vertical grip off, but drilling holes is a great idea btw!
    I drilled some 1/2" holes with 1/4" spacing (I've should of went with 1/8" spacing) from the gas block forward. I kept the gas ports area covered. I also relieved some metal under the gas block and barrel shank so it actually fits proberly. It now "floats" on the two mouting points instead of resting on the gas block and shank.

With this I can trim off the two rear M-lok "wings" and it will look flush with the reciever.
    Last edited by BeaverMeat; 11-22-2016 at 10:45 PM.
    "There's a big ... machine in the sky, ... some kind of electric snake ... coming straight at us."
    "Shoot it," said my attorney.
    "Not yet," I said. "I want to study its habits.

Quote Originally Posted by id64 View Post
    I understand that the Zhukov pieces make the rifle look great but if you have no use for the rails is there a functional reason to get something like this? Or the other aluminum rails in the market?

I would assume that being metal they add at least 150 grams or more to the weight of plastic handguards out there.

Do these get less hot than the cheap plastic handguards CSA rifles come with?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer BeaverMeat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Albguy40 View Post
    I understand that the Zhukov pieces make the rifle look great but if you have no use for the rails is there a functional reason to get something like this? Or the other aluminum rails in the market?

I would assume that being metal they add at least 150 grams or more to the weight of plastic handguards out there.

Longer fore-arm is the only reason I went with the Zhukov.
    "There's a big ... machine in the sky, ... some kind of electric snake ... coming straight at us."
    "Shoot it," said my attorney.
    "Not yet," I said. "I want to study its habits.

Expired Business Member
    There is a host of MLOK accessories that can be added to the Zhukov handguard without the added weight of rails.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer G.Mitchell's Avatar

For me the benefit was increased forearm length for my long arms and more aggressive shooting style.
    Looking for members in Grande Prairie Alberta interested in wilderness skills, survival skills, camping, prepping, shooting, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Lover View Post
    Thanks a lot lucsergerie, so the minimum length of pull is 1/4" longer than the original stock, that would still work for me and it looks good to boot. Now my only worry is seeing Tim from the Military Arms Channel breaking one off just by doing a mortar clearance operation on his AK. But maybe I shouldn't worry much about that, after all these are mostly range beauties for us Canadian Subjects. :-)
    That happened after he poured water on it in sub-zero conditions. I suspect the water expanded and cracked the hinge. Theres plenty of footage of Robski beating the crap out of it, and he only sheared it when he drove over it while folded.

Just do it!

Quote Originally Posted by $kull View Post
    That happened after he poured water on it in sub-zero conditions. I suspect the water expanded and cracked the hinge. Theres plenty of footage of Robski beating the crap out of it, and he only sheared it when he drove over it while folded.

Nope! I am sorry, but if you took the time to really watch the video you'd have seen that not a single drop of water made it to the hinge. The water spray didn't even get close to it, plus he was holding the butt up/muzzle down when he sprayed, so water could not have flowed back to the hinge. Besides, he shows close-ups of the broken part and no ice or water can be seen anywhere.

Sub-zero temperature? Well, I guess it was, but only -12 Celsius! I have hunted in -20 to -30 degrees Celsius in more than one occasion here (Quebekistan), not often, but I have. So, if the stock is not capable of handling that, it's of no use to me. Specially when it broke so easily.

Again, it is my personal choice. If you're all for style over function, that is alright, it's your choice. Me, I still have the beaver barf stock on mine, because I haven't really found a stronger one to put on, yet. Ugly as sin, but it works for me. ;-)