Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thundershot review

CGN Regular

Cool Thundershot review

Hey peeps! Just got my hands on the thundershot product and wanted to pass along an unbiased comparison to my last experience with binary targets.

1. I had a 50% failure to detonate with direct hits with tannerite using 7.62x39 @ 50m. So far 100% of hits on thundershot have detonated (7.52x54r this time @ 75 yards.) yet to try with an intermediate cartridge.

2. There was clearly leftover ammonium nitrate at blast site with tannerite brand. Thundershot appears to consume 100% of material.
    2a. I figure about 2x the blast power at 1lb compared to tannerite. It was a glorious boom! Launched an old propane tank about a hundred feet straight up!

3. Square targets! I think part of my failure with tannerite was the occasional glancing blow. Thundershot comes in a square jar. Pretty hard to partially hit that way.

4. Come up with a way to get 1pounders down to 5 bucks or less and you won't be able to keep up with demand!

Tannerite requires 2200 fps to detonate iirc. 7.62x39 is right on the line for whether it will detonate it or not. 7.62x54 should go boom every time.

As for thundershot I believe it is advertised as activatable via a .22 cal which run between 900 fps to 1600 fps.

Expired Business Member
    Thanks for the review! Glad you're enjoying the product!

Quote Originally Posted by jcoulson64 View Post
    As for thundershot I believe it is advertised as activatable via a .22 cal which run between 900 fps to 1600 fps.
    Thundershot requires an impact velocity of at least 2,000 fps which leaves out any .22LR cartridges. The .17 HMR works very well, however at reduced ranges and at the sole risk and responsibility of the user.

I've had some for about a week now that I haven't been able to take out yet, I tried shockwave last year but am told the Thunder Shot is a better detonation. Hopefully this weekend.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer PitBull1973's Avatar
    Who carries thunder shot in ont
    http://oneclearvoice.ca/

Expired Business Member
    Which part of Ontario are you in?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer PitBull1973's Avatar
    Gta
    http://oneclearvoice.ca/

Expired Business Member
    Target Sports in Gormley carries our product, though I believe they still have some of our older stock. Same performance though!

Quote Originally Posted by derr12 View Post
    Hey peeps! Just got my hands on the thundershot product and wanted to pass along an unbiased comparison to my last experience with binary targets.

1. I had a 50% failure to detonate with direct hits with tannerite using 7.62x39 @ 50m. So far 100% of hits on thundershot have detonated (7.52x54r this time @ 75 yards.) yet to try with an intermediate cartridge.

2. There was clearly leftover ammonium nitrate at blast site with tannerite brand. Thundershot appears to consume 100% of material.
    2a. I figure about 2x the blast power at 1lb compared to tannerite. It was a glorious boom! Launched an old propane tank about a hundred feet straight up!

3. Square targets! I think part of my failure with tannerite was the occasional glancing blow. Thundershot comes in a square jar. Pretty hard to partially hit that way.

4. Come up with a way to get 1pounders down to 5 bucks or less and you won't be able to keep up with demand!
    I just shot 3 Lb of this product...

not very impressed as I've had 3 fail to explode... shooting from 75 meters with a 2850 Ft lb 178grain .308

I've got video of my shot attempts , mixed the product according to spec - everything was solid grey in color ( complete saturation of active ingredient ) shot was place dead center of the container , the container was placed against a 3 inch thick manhole cover.... I've seen a more impressive explosion from a bottle of water.

I will be contacting the place of purchase / then the manufacturer if I cant get this resolved.
    Last edited by Shooter937; 01-01-2017 at 12:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter937 View Post
    I just bought 3 Lb of this product...

not very impressed as I've had 3 fail to explode... shooting from 75 meters with a 2850 Ft lb 178grain .308

I've got video of my shot attempts , mixed the product according to spec - everything was solid grey in color ( complete saturation of active ingredient ) shot was place dead center of the container , the container was placed against a 3 inch thick manhole cover.... I've seen a move impressive explosion from a bottle of water.

I will be contacting the place of purchase / then the manufacturer if I cant get this resolved.
    Wow, never heard that before. I've only seen positive reviews wherever posted. Wonder what happened?
    Planning on living forever. So far, so good!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast