CQ-A Service

sdlonyer

CGN Regular
I recently ( last week) purchased a CQ-A which was promptly shipped.
But It won't open for servicing. It looks as though the buffer tuber has moved forward and is preventing the rifle from opening.
How do I reseat the buffer without opening the rifle?

Do you have a castle nut wrench? You should be able to loosen the castle nut and back out the buffer tube without having to break open the rifle. It could also be that the bolt isn't fully seated forward and its partly in the buffer tube.

#### it first, engage the bolt catch and inspect the chamber. Might be a wad of cotton up in there preventing the bolt from going forward. Release the bolt, don't ride it forward. Press the forward assist to ensure bolt is fully forward. Remove rear takedown pin and attempt to separate upper and lower receivers.

if you still cant open it, take out both takedown pins and separate. that way so u can closely examine issue. if the buffer tube is in fact in too far forward then ya you'll have to get a castle nut wrench or contact the seller and maybe get a replacement based on "QC"

maybe the bolt is out of spec too. i remember when i had mine i accidentally swapped the bolts in my AR's and the gas key on the bolt didnt align properly with the norc gas tube and thus would not go forward.. so like the other guys said make sure the bolt is forward lol

I had this happen a few years ago. The buffer spring jumped the retainer pin and rode the bolt forward, locking the action shut.
Just pull both take down pins and carefully remove the two halves. I say carefully because the buffer spring and buffer are going to take a pretty good ride if you don't so it slowly.

Can you pull the charging handle back? Even a small amount, to potentially stuff the buffer back into the tube.

You don't need a castle nut wrench, try tapping the nut CCW with a screw driver and small hammer.

how can the buffer move past the back of the bolt?? Impossible unless something is really FKD up.. something else is your problem.

use vice grips and a piece of leather wrapped around the castle nut if you really want to take it apart.. but I cant see this being the main issue.

Do the take-down pins pull fully outward?? If so, nothing should be stopping the upper from coming off the lower except a little gentle bumping with your fist... and maybe a pulling forward as you pull up if it is the BOLT stuck rearward a little.

Why would you think it is the buffer?

If anything, it would be the BOLT that is not fully forward, causing the gun to lock shut. I would put money on this. Bang on the forward assist and try again :)

CQA had a notch in the buffer that buffer retainer locked into. Will make it hard to thread the buffer tube out.

If you lock the bolt back it should turn though... yes? Or just hold it back a little some how. One you turn it a half turn you are good to go anyway... Or do you mean the notch is in the buffer tube lip itself?

Last edited:
take pins out completely and drop it on the floor, close your eyes and cover your sack :) its worked for me before, little redneck worksmanship. If you have an optic take it off.

If you lock the bolt back it should turn though... yes? Or just hold it back a little some how. One you turn it a half turn you are good to go anyway... Or do you mean the notch is in the buffer tube lip itself?

notch is in the buffer tube it self so the buffer retainer acts as a buffer tube anti rotation device. Meaning to unscrew the tube the retainer has to be pushed below the buffer.

Take it back. Any reputable dealer will exchange a rifle that is only a week old. Once you start smashing things, that ship will have sailed. If you can, return it. This is a good enough reason to go with another brand...just saying. Norinco makes wonderful SKSs, this is not an SKS.

I recently ( last week) purchased a CQ-A which was promptly shipped.
But It won't open for servicing. It looks as though the buffer tuber has moved forward and is preventing the rifle from opening.
How do I reseat the buffer without opening the rifle?

OK folks, we now have two pages of comments
Was it purchased from us ?? If so have you contacted us ??

John

Back
Top Bottom