Thread: Savage Mk II barrels

Savage Mk II barrels

I have had dream for a while and it involves owning a very short barreled .22 LR. I know the Stevens 300F with a 13" barrel exists but I want something shorter. A Savage Mk II with an 7" barrel would be just above the 26" OAL to remain unrestricted. I have been doing some research and some guys on rimfirecentral.com have taken Ruger 10/22 barrels and lengthened the tenon to fit and cut another extractor groove. This is beyond my abilities. I was wondering if you guys have ever looked into making aftermarket Savage MK II barrels or are willing to look into making these barrels? I could not find anyone who makes aftermarket Savage Mk II barrels.

I'm sure I will get flamed for wanting this. I want a very short rifle for shooting subsonic ammo and very short distances (25 yards). I don't want a semi-auto as they do not cycle reliably with subsonic ammo and the gases coming out of the ejection port add to the noise. I want a rifle that is as quiet as legally possible if that makes sense.

you're not going to achieve both short barrel, reduced noise unless a suppressor is used, which of course can't be done legally at this time, even with the sub-sonic ammo the short barrel will have a fairly loud report. It all comes down to reducing several things such as pressure and temperature of the gasses as they exit the muzzle. Using an extra long barrel will quiet things down, not a short one. Just listen to a handgun firing sub-sonics, it's still got a bark to it.

Isn't barrel swapping the Mark II barrel a complete pain in the dick? I haven't had much luck finding aftermarket barrels for the Mark II either, so I sort of gave up on the idea. I've got a 10/22 which has a world of aftermarket parts, including some some really heavy barrels, but zip when it came to the Mark II.

I'd be interested to hear from the more experienced guys here about it.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer BabySeal's Avatar
    No problem.

I'd be surprised if Dlask can't do this. They have threaded 8" bull barrels too.

After this job, the muzzle would be pretty close to 7" from the front of the receiver. It shouldn't take more than 2 hours of shop time, especially if you completely strip the rifle for them and carefully ship it.

It is not a hard job at all. Lengthen the tenon, mark and cut the extractor. You just have to err towards making the tenon shorter than necessary because there is no putting metal back on. You dial in the headspace by either cutting the tenon a little more, or facing the receiver, ie blue printing. I have done it and achieved impressive results. But I dont have a shop anymore.

It's really easy because the Savage receiver is so simple.

Tinbird is right though... A short barrel will be louder than a long barrel. (16" seems to be the limit of shortening without "loudening")

There's nothing legal you can do about that except use a linear comp to direct some of it forwards, away from you.

I should also add that you will have to modify your stock too if you go with a bull barrel. You could probably do that yourself.

The difference between the standard Mark II barrel and the shorter FV-SR noise level is very noticeable. Go for the longest barrel you can find. You may also want to look into CCI Quiet ammo, it works as advertised.

I realize that a longer barrel would be quieter than what I have proposed. However, I want a short barreled repeating bolt action .22 LR rifle for the following reasons:

I can strap it to my backpack when I am hunting.

I have a magazine full of rounds rather than a single shot Savage Rascal or a Chiappa Little Badger.

Semi-automatics don't reliably feed CCI Quiets. For this reason I don't want a 10/22 with a short barrel or a Henry AR-7.

I realize a longer barreled rifle would be quieter but I would like to take advantage of our firearms laws and have a .22 LR with an OAL just over 26". It will be a short range rifle.

Thanks for your feedback Baby Seal. If Dlask is not interested in making Savage barrels I may have to purchase one of their barrels and have it modified. As long as i don't shorten it I should be fine. However, I would rather go the manufactured specifically for a Savage rifle route if possible.

I like your idea. Especially for small critters such as rats and possums and raccoons on the farm. Hunting in the barn with quiets or shot shells would be nice with that short of a firearm. What about having a barrel cut and recrowned. As far irons go, I would use a reflex or even a laser. You got me thinking now. I have a mark I I BV, and it more accurate than me, and eats anything

Quote Originally Posted by heavymetaljeff View Post
    I like your idea. Especially for small critters such as rats and possums and raccoons on the farm. Hunting in the barn with quiets or shot shells would be nice with that short of a firearm. What about having a barrel cut and recrowned. As far irons go, I would use a reflex or even a laser. You got me thinking now. I have a mark I I BV, and it more accurate than me, and eats anything
    Thanks. The only problem with using an existing barrel is it cannot be cut shorter than 18" otherwise it is prohibited. A barrel manufactured under 18" is okay. One of the many parts of our current firearms laws that don't make sense.

I'm still hoping to get an answer even if it is a no.