Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 123456789101222 ... LastLast

Thread: THUNDERSHOT Long Range Challenge - PVC achievement patches are here!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Happy to play along... But can you confirm that your product is not considered a flammable solid? Or better, doesn't produce enough heat to cause ignition or throw sparks that can light a fire?

We are knee deep in a very dry summer and fire bans are up. Although I can impact in a sandy area, just don't want to be THAT GUY on the news.

Have you calculated a KE rating for ignition? Big slow bullet ok or must you have that speed to cause the reaction?

What is the blast radius so I don't impact my camera?

PM or email... can test as far as you figure it will work.

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon Energetics View Post
    Was that our product or someone else's? Exploding targets are not created equal. Where was the target struck?

As mentioned in the first post we will be providing targets for this challenge so participants are not out of pocket.
    The stuff we were shooting was your binary stuff. I picked it up from shooting edge. The 223 at 300m hit it top right quadrant of the container. clean hit. I used a 55gr vmax. We set it up again at shoot at 600m with our 308 with what was left (about half of a container). We actually hit it twice when it was half empty with the 308 at 600m but there wasent enough left in it to ignite it. reloads of 178gr bthp which are suprisingly extremely accurate at 600m. I'd upload the 300m hit we got on film but I don't want to divulge my favorite shooting spot right now.

Ill have to double check we don't have a fire ban, but im planning on hitting some more binary this week.

Your product does make a very impressive ignition. I'd like to try out the rimfire version to see if it can do something at 1km.

Testing crater.

I'm in! This is awesome but I have the same fire ban concerns.

CGN Regular No Fear in Accuracy's Avatar
    I'm happy to enter the contest and I'll prove to shooters/newbies that the Thundershot really works.

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon Energetics View Post
    Based on a post (challenge? ) in our thread on our new PGW/TriggerTech/Tangent Theta rig, we would like to consider sponsoring an informal CGN contest to see who can make the longest shots and successfully detonate our Thundershot targets.

The purpose of this is to simply have some fun and to show off our long range skills and hardware. Note that Thundershot needs a velocity of ~2,000 fps at impact to successfully detonate which puts an upper practical limit on certain calibers and bullet styles. Shooters may feel free to take it further but risk the chance of a partial detonation or a misfire.

Prizes for the longest successful shot would be a case of 12 targets and we could separate categories by caliber so .308 Winchester shooters aren't being outgunned by .338 Lapua shooters, for example. Successful shots would need to be video recorded and uploaded to Youtube with verified ranges (delineated by range signs or lased with a rangefinder). And no cheating with your buddy in a ghille downrange making the real shot!

We are willing to provide a limited number of targets at no cost to competitors. I'm thinking three per competitor would be plenty.

Who's game for this challenge?
    I think a thick steel backplate would produce reliable detonations with impact velocities below 2000 fps, thus extending the maximum range of the .308, if it was considered acceptable. Naturally for the purposes of this challenge the backplate could not exceed the dimensions of the Thundershot target.
    Last edited by Boomer; 06-28-2015 at 12:52 PM.

CGN Regular
    How about a .50 bmg rifle or is that unfair?

Would love to enter and make it a challenge. I will attempt to ignite it with my 243 win. I figure it will maintain 2000fps out to 500 yards.

I would like to play in .308. Nice and wet in Manitoba. A quick ballistics check tells me i'm looking at a max of 406 yards to achieve an impact velocity of 2000fps and a guaranteed detonation.
    NFA Member

I bought a case of Gryphon (the old style) and one didn't go off. A direct hit from an SKS at ~50m. I'm fairly certain the failure was due to insufficient mixing of the components though.

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamingchicken View Post
    How about a .50 bmg rifle or is that unfair?
    I would say using a 50 bmg would make this harder.

The farther out you can be at 2000fps the smaller the target.