Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: CFB Petawawa PR Match 2 - 17-18 Oct 2015 - Debrief Here - Results UP

Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cndgunguy View Post
    Crap, I hope I made the cut.
    No worries, mates. Lots and lots of spaces. I've been out camping for the past 3 days with limited in Innernet access. Back home now drying out the tent, fly, sleeping bags and putting away the cooking gear.

The 2 day compressed schedule has proven to be quite a lot of fun... especially the Saturday afternoon practice/walkback to confirm zeroes. And then on Sunday morning we go straight into the match procedures!

Questions? Bring them on!

Barney

Quote Originally Posted by chalkriver View Post
    KND, 300 win mag is not allowed .

22, 38 ,9mm ,40cal ,303 ,308 ,7.62x39 ,7.62x54 ,5.56 ,338 Lapua are the ONLY calibres allowed on those ranges .
    Oh ! Thanks. Now that give me excuse to get a 338 Laupua. Start saving then.

Business Member
    We had a couple of questions about the calibers allowed. Frankly, there is no discussion about this issue. Their Sandbox, their rules!

Now about lunch; understand that Bravo Range is a far drive to the off base restaurants. Bring a sandwich or two (Subway or Timmy's) and brown bag your lunch. You could always eat Gas Station sandwiches like a couple of Montreal shooters did last Spring.

We don't have time to allow you to head out for lunch! Welcome to the world of intense shooting!

Cheers,
    Barney

Trying to decide between two Viper PST scopes, a 4x-16x and a 6x-24x. Both have 50 mm objective and First focal plane. The price difference is not much, I could get either, the 24x is longer and heavier and will have a smaller field of view compared to the 16x, but it does have more magnification.

Is this a case of get the best you can afford, so get the 24x, or would 24x be way overkill, the 16x would be fine?

I'll be shooting an M1 Garand with a .308 Criterion G.I. contour Chrome Moly Barrel using Hirtenberger 7.62 nato surplus ammo, not exactly match quality, but I hear its pretty good.

Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by john@ View Post
    Trying to decide between two Viper PST scopes, a 4x-16x and a 6x-24x. Both have 50 mm objective and First focal plane. The price difference is not much, I could get either, the 24x is longer and heavier and will have a smaller field of view compared to the 16x, but it does have more magnification.

Is this a case of get the best you can afford, so get the 24x, or would 24x be way overkill, the 16x would be fine?

I'll be shooting an M1 Garand with a .308 Criterion G.I. contour Chrome Moly Barrel using Hirtenberger 7.62 nato surplus ammo, not exactly match quality, but I hear its pretty good.
    Which scope base brand are you going to use? M14.ca mount that uses the rear sight base, but your clip load-ability might be compromised?
    Go for more power since your Garand will not be the last platform to be wearing this Vortex glass. Lower power might limit you at certain situations (fog, rain, low light) or vice versa. Nicer to have that flexibility and not have to use it. Besides, we are only punching paper, and if down the road you wanna shoot coyotes or ground hogs, the extra power is always more fun....

Buy it, install it, and then come shoot with us. And when you are done with our weekend, post your observations! Share what you learned ... it's all good!

Cheers and keep on helping the noobs !

Barney

Good point, it will go on other rifles eventually. I'm mounting it on a S&K M1 scope mount.

(not my photo)

Sober second thought, I'm totally new to this, so not going to drop that kind of money when I have no real idea what I actually need. Will look for something more entry level.
    Last edited by john@; 08-11-2015 at 11:25 PM.

CGN frequent flyer
    Can this clinic and match be done with an M14 clone shot off the magazine on the ground DM style instead of using a bipod?

Signed up! Looking forward to Danny's and some familiar faces!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Petrock's Avatar
    I won't be participating this year as I don't have a rifle worth shooting or optics for my heavy AR set up but I can offer bunk space for up to two out of towners who would not be able to attend due to the cost of rental accomadation.
    Doesn't matter, anymore. We're only good for filling sandbags for floods and saving people during winter storms. Other-wise we're kicking posts and crazies who are over worked, over taxed, underpaid and never truly appreciated.

Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrock View Post
    I won't be participating this year as I don't have a rifle worth shooting or optics for my heavy AR set up but I can offer bunk space for up to two out of towners who would not be able to attend due to the cost of rental accomadation.
    Now that's the kind of super community support the Petawawa group has shown me/us over the years. Good on ya... Now how about shooting your accurized AR off the magazine (5/30) and shoot in the "DM" category? You might just win first place in the DM Class and a prize! Yuk yuk yuk

Cheers,
    Barney