The Modern Varmint rifle

Any news on the modern varmint? The last i remember hearing is that it is with the RCMP in Ottawa. Is that still the case or has there been some movement?

Funny you ask, we got an email from the SFSS/RCMP this afternoon asking permission to take and publish photos, so hopefully this means they are in fact looking at it and a decision will be forthcoming soon. We hope!!
As soon as we get the word we WILL be letting Canada know.

Funny you ask, we got an email from the SFSS/RCMP this afternoon asking permission to take and publish photos, so hopefully this means they are in fact looking at it and a decision will be forthcoming soon. We hope!!

Thats good news indeed! This may be asking a bit much but what is the average time frame from them looking at it until we can buy it? I assume this process would be much the same as the modern hunter process was, maybe faster due to the similarities in the rifles im assuming?

Just wondering whether i should start saving my pennies now for the MV or if i should just start an AR build if we are expecting lengthy delays.

Holly #### I am stoked! :)

Time to start planning the build, already have a spare Elcan Specter DR 1-4x lined up! :)

Do they always ask this permission...? Where/why would they publish photos???

Thats good news indeed! This may be asking a bit much but what is the average time frame from them looking at it until we can buy it? I assume this process would be much the same as the modern hunter process was, maybe faster due to the similarities in the rifles im assuming?

Just wondering whether i should start saving my pennies now for the MV or if i should just start an AR build if we are expecting lengthy delays.

The day after we get an FRT# we will post that orders are being taken, raw materials will be ordered. Once we have the costs established on the raw materials we will be establishing the costs for the parts we have to purchase. Shortly thereafter barrels and furniture will be ordered.
Realistically IF we get the legal classification we expect by Nov 1 2015, full production will start very shortly after that so that hopefully finished rifles will start to go out for the spring gopher harvest.
As we get more info we will be posting it, but yes I would start not only to save the nickels and quarters but to research what furniture is desired. Being as the upper shares the same deck height as an AR15, there will be far more fore end options potentially.

As we get more info we will be posting it, but yes I would start not only to save the nickels and quarters but to research what furniture is desired. Being as the upper shares the same deck height as an AR15, there will be far more fore end options potentially.

Rick/Dustin,

Would it be safe to say the list of manufacturers that you carry at the shop would be a good place to start looking at for the available options? Also, as far as barrels, will there be a CF option?

Thanks

Rick/Dustin,

Would it be safe to say the list of manufacturers that you carry at the shop would be a good place to start looking at for the available options? Also, as far as barrels, will there be a CF option?

Thanks

That would be a safe bet. We are skeptical that DD fore ends will well if at all work due to their mounting system.
We are looking at several options on top of what we currently deal with.
Yes Proof will be making 223 cal CFW barrels for us.

I'm assuming these will also have the single stage Timney drop in trigger? Would it be possible to have a 2 stage giessele trigger instead? Or is that linked to the FRT classification (in terms of ability to swap parts).

Back
Top Bottom