Page 7 of 55 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151727 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger Precision Rifle Coming Soon!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer krausb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brianma65 View Post
    Is it possible to get the 6.5 in a 20 barrel? And is there any way to lighten it up from 11 lbs to 8 or 9 lbs?
    At this time, these are the only available configurations: http://www.ruger.com/micros/rpr/models.html

So no 20" in the 6.5, if that is something that a fellow wants. that said, it should be an easy barrel to have a gunsmith chop as it is a standard AR style barrel mount. And because it uses AR furniture, I'm sure you could shave a bit more weight by replacing the Samson handguard with something lighter an shorter as well as a lighter buttstock.

Come to think of it, you can probably replace the barrel with something with a more slender profile but then you would be getting away from the original intent of this rifle and might just be better off perusing something that already has a lighter barrel.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brianma65's Avatar
    I like this one , just would like a 20 barrel in 6.5. I like the hand guard also. I'm not opposed to diff stock though.Also I like the accuracy reports. If the barrel were to be chopped, would that comprise accuracy?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer krausb's Avatar
    If the barrel is cut by a competent gunsmith, there should be no change to the inherent accuracy of the barrel. The only two caveats would be 1) that competent is the key work for the gunsmith and 2) the shorter barrel will have some effect on reducing velocity which in turn will play a factor in accuracy at long ranges.

So it kind of depends on how far out you plan on shooting to.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brianma65's Avatar
    I'm not a long range precision shooter not do I have plans to be one. I really like this gun for its looks, accuracy, cost and not having to fine tune it. I will be looking at 800 yards max. So if this is a 1/2 MOA rifle I should be able to hit a 4 inch circle at 800 yards . Correct? With a little practice of course. Any thing after 800 is all gravy . After reading a couple of articles , I want the 6.5 , in a 20 barrel (would even go 18 if it didn't compromise accuracy,) Again I do not want to compromise accuracy. Weight is secondary to accuracy. If I could shave a couple of pounds off by shortening the barrel and a diff stock , without effecting accuracy , out to 800 , then that would be great. And I want the barrel that comes with it , no pencil barrel please. So is this possible Wanstalls?

Change barrels with standard AR barrel changing tools.
    Does that mean that it takes standard AR barrels? Could I purchase a 24" AR bull barrel in .308 and swap (or have swapped)?

Is there financing available for this?

CGN Regular
    Made deposit. Order placed.

Wb

Order placed for 308. Now how much time do I have before I have to tell my wife?

I went with the 243 version. Once I burn out the barrel learning how to shoot long distance, will replace it with a 6.5 down the road when and hopefully if more Creedmore brass and ammo is readily available.

Rail is 20 MOA
    Does that limit usage in a short shooting range?
    Or is it still possible to adjust scope to 150m with that rail?