Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: CZ SP-01 Shadow vs Tanfoglio ????

CGN Ultra frequent flyer sailor723's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ambishooter View Post
    Try comparing an SPO1-Shawdowline against a Tanfoglio Stock III, then do the math. I am not sure of the material used on Stock II/III. Stock II/III feels lighter and I am assuming there are alloys involved. Whereas, an SP01-Shadow/Shadowline is heavier. The Shadowline version has all the general upgrades already in. I cannot comment any further against a Stock II/III for I do not have one. I have shot a Stock III few times, and it is as good as my SP01 Shadowline.

So Shadowline (not Shadow) Vs Stock III is a better comparison ? Is so what Tanfoglio would compete with the Shadow?
    Fan of Browning Hi-Powers and both S&W and Colt revolvers

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Both guns have their pluses and minuses.
    Main differences:
    Tanfoglio has checkering on front and back straps, but it it hit and miss, quality-wise. Checkering on a CNC machine shouldn't have run-overs, uneven lines, etc. and it offends me when they do, having checkers way too many 1911's by hand. CZ has a texture, but I wouldn't call it checkering. I have some coarse grip skate tape on mine and it's fantastic.
    Tafoglio has an adjustable rear sight. CZ is fixed though an adjustable factory option exists. The Tanfo adjustable is only great when you are adjusting load recipes. After that they tend to gain elevation as the screw walks out in recoil or the leaf pin breaks off and and the whole leaf flies away. Fixed sights require a lot of deliberate work to make them break. I've never seen one do so.
    Tanfoglio has a little larger mag well opening than the CZ.
    Tanfoglio beaver tail is a little larger than CZ and the bottom of the trigger guard is flatter. This may or may not matter to you in terms of ergonomics.
    Tanfoglio trigger is ok and can be made better, though not as good as CZ's. CZ triggers can be absolutely amazing. This is because the tanfoglio mainspring is much shorter so it stacks up quicker, leading to a feel of loading up as the trigger is stroked through the double action arc. The CZ mainspring is much longer and doesn't stack. In fact, the exact opposite; is lets off quicker. Tanfoglio gets around this with a lighter spring, but then you have intermittent light primer strikes.
    There is also more friction is the tanfoglio fire control setup. There is a huge drag surface on the trigger plunger which you can feel in the stroke. CZ solution to this is you use spring steel to loft the trigger stirrup, which reduces friction massively.
    Tanfo's have a nicer finish and are a little longer in the nose, giving more recoil dampening up front.

Design quirks:
    Tanfoglio safeties just suck in my opinion. The detent plunger that holds the left hand safety in place in the frame breaks off consistently because it is under designed. This is a pressed in part so when it breaks you need a new safety.
    CZ safeties are much more durable but a pain in the ass to remove and reinstall, until you do it a few time then it's no biggie. First time, do it inside a big zip-lock bag....

I've had several Tanfo's (not stocks) and worked on many dozens. I won't own another. I now have an SP01 Shadow that does everything I want it to do at a little over half the cost. I love it. There is an awful lot of value in those guns for the money.

Good luck with your selection. If you can, try them both and decide.

RE

Had two CZ SP-01 Shadow with too much mods $$$ in the past... Now I have a Tanfoglio Stock II Xtreme, with only a light springs kit, never regrets!!! The best 2500$ I ever spend!!! Trigger is awesome!!! Square trigger guard is useful when you hold the gun! CZ Still a good choice, but it is all about how it feel in your hands...
    Last edited by BADBOOYAH; 08-17-2015 at 03:21 AM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer sailor723's Avatar
    Thanks for the responses guys. I really don't want this to get into a CZ vs Tanfoglio fight on Freedom's forum. My original post was really more of a request for information from Freedom about their product and how it compared to the competition.

Freedom....please feel free to lock or delete this thread and reply to me via PM if you prefer.
    Fan of Browning Hi-Powers and both S&W and Colt revolvers

Freedom Ventures - CGN Sponsor Freedom Ventures's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sailor723 View Post
    Shadow is $895 .....Stock III $1180. Is that a fair comparison?

With HST that is $322 more for me to buy the Stock III. What does that buy me with the Tanfoglio? Not trying to start anything here....just honestly curious about what to buy and how the cost/benefit analysis stacks up.
    We'd recommend a Stock III in comparison to the Shadows. What does the extra cost get you?
    Adjustable sights, a beveled mag opening, a higher beavertail, a longer barrel and sight radius, checkering, better reliability and better support if the gun hiccups.

Everyone else posting in this thread - thanks for your comments; they've been great. If things remain at this level, I'll keep it flowing. Keep in mind that this subforum is partially financed by Tanfoglio sales. (As is the Stock III that was donated to the Nationals as a prize this year)

Follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/freedom.ventures.92
    Follow us on Instagram at https://instagram.com/freedom_ventures/

Please do not PM- email us at sales@freedomventures.ca

www.freedomventures.ca (902) 455-5483

Freedom Ventures - CGN Sponsor Freedom Ventures's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sailor723 View Post
    Thanks for the responses guys. I really don't want this to get into a CZ vs Tanfoglio fight on Freedom's forum. My original post was really more of a request for information from Freedom about their product and how it compared to the competition.

Freedom....please feel free to lock or delete this thread and reply to me via PM if you prefer.
    So far so good!

Follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/freedom.ventures.92
    Follow us on Instagram at https://instagram.com/freedom_ventures/

Please do not PM- email us at sales@freedomventures.ca

www.freedomventures.ca (902) 455-5483

The availability of parts (in stock in Canada) and expert service provided for the Tanfoglio pistols in my experience is priceless.

CGN Regular
    Both are great production guns. shoot them both and see what you like better? the checking on the tanfo is fantastic! there is a great deal on one on the EE right now with the whole IPSC rig with it!
    Last edited by keitha; 08-17-2015 at 11:23 AM.

CGN Regular
    Tolerances are tighter on the Tanfo's, and the fit & finish is far better...especially on the Xtreme versions! The Tanfo's are known to run into extremely high round counts and retain their accuracy. That's the biggest advantage cost wise. You pay a little more up front, but if you have go buy 2 shadows to get the same round count as one Tanfo, it's suddenly not the more expensive choice.

Last edited by aragorn1; 08-17-2015 at 12:56 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast