CanadianGunNutz.com logo, Firearms News and Classifieds in Canada

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: CFO New Rules for Transfers, Ontario (No details on out of province)

  1. #1
    Supporting Dealer Al Flaherty's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    2066 Dufferin Street, Toronto, Ontario, M6E3R6
    Posts
    523

    Thumbs up CFO New Rules for Transfers, Ontario (No details on out of province)

    Cheryl from the CFO of Ontario just called, very helpful and apologetic for the confusion with more details.

    Any transfer that is approved from September 2nd, 2015 forward (including transfers initiated prior to that date) while have the LTATT conditions automatically applied to the purchasers restricted PAL. At that point the firearm can be picked up or mailed at any point convenient for the consumer & retailer.

    No extra paperwork, no fuss. Transfers will still take X time (as before, no firm timeline), but no ATT will be required as it is included.

    That is all, thanks to the Ontario CFO for stepping up to the plate with a firm answer, hopefully the other province CFO's are calling their local businesses with similar clarification.
    Team Al Flaherty's
    www.alflahertys.com
    info@alflahertys.com
    416-651-6436
    Toll free 1-888-651-6436
    Follow us on Twitter @Al Flaherty's
    Follow us on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/al_flahertys/

  2. #2
    CGN Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Missisauga, ON
    Posts
    461
    Good to see they took a proactive step with notifying you guys.
    Are you familiar with The Shmoo, Mr. Fisher?

  3. #3
    CGN Ultra frequent flyer fenceline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    East of Home, West of the Rest
    Posts
    14,984
    Out of province requires an STATT from the province you are travelling to/through. The rules state you can transport it from place of receipt to your home. Seems like that would include from the post office, as that is where it would be received.
    CQB, 3 Gun, ISSAC and Service Rifle Shooter.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - 1* - SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM - HAN SHOT FIRST - YOUR FREEDOM IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY

  4. #4
    Member tFly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Kelowna
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Flaherty's View Post
    Cheryl from the CFO of Ontario just called, very helpful and apologetic for the confusion with more details.

    Any transfer that is approved from September 2nd, 2015 forward (including transfers initiated prior to that date) while have the LTATT conditions automatically applied to the purchasers restricted PAL. At that point the firearm can be picked up or mailed at any point convenient for the consumer & retailer.

    No extra paperwork, no fuss. Transfers will still take X time (as before, no firm timeline), but no ATT will be required as it is included.

    That is all, thanks to the Ontario CFO for stepping up to the plate with a firm answer, hopefully the other province CFO's are calling their local businesses with similar clarification.
    The response we got in BC was that a STATT is still required until the person has the new card with the updated transport conditions printed on it.

  5. #5
    Supporting Dealer Al Flaherty's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    2066 Dufferin Street, Toronto, Ontario, M6E3R6
    Posts
    523
    Quote Originally Posted by tFly View Post
    The response we got in BC was that a STATT is still required until the person has the new card with the updated transport conditions printed on it.
    Haha, yeah, that's what they said yesterday, today it's the updated story. I assume it'll be like when the LGR was removed and it took them months to iron out the details about who's responsible for what. Nobody wants to put their name at the top of the page of "things you have to do", so it gets passed around a bit before anything final shows up. But for now, the info we have is the up to date info as of this afternoon.
    Team Al Flaherty's
    www.alflahertys.com
    info@alflahertys.com
    416-651-6436
    Toll free 1-888-651-6436
    Follow us on Twitter @Al Flaherty's
    Follow us on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/al_flahertys/

  6. #6
    CGN Regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Caledon, Ontario
    Posts
    264
    Here's some more info I just received from the CFO;
    I've had a restricted licence with 12(6) for many years but am not currently a member at a range in Canada and don't have a LTATT.
    I had to call the CFO and ask to have the new "conditions" applied to my licence. They are not automatically applied since I don't have a current LTATT.
    The CFO told me I will have the new authorization to transport as soon as the conditions are applied, but since they can't tell me when that will actually happen, I'll be in a vulnerable position until I receive my new card and cannot (shouldn't) transport restricted or prohib until then.
    I've been put on a "reprint list" and will have my new card sent to me (sometime).

    Glad this is all so clear and easy to navigate.
    The CFO was very helpful.

  7. #7
    Supporting Dealer Al Flaherty's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    2066 Dufferin Street, Toronto, Ontario, M6E3R6
    Posts
    523
    Quote Originally Posted by silver bullet View Post
    Here's some more info I just received from the CFO;
    I've had a restricted licence with 12(6) for many years but am not currently a member at a range in Canada and don't have a LTATT.
    I had to call the CFO and ask to have the new "conditions" applied to my licence. They are not automatically applied since I don't have a current LTATT.
    The CFO told me I will have the new authorization to transport as soon as the conditions are applied, but since they can't tell me when that will actually happen, I'll be in a vulnerable position until I receive my new card and cannot (shouldn't) transport restricted or prohib until then.
    I've been put on a "reprint list" and will have my new card sent to me (sometime).

    Glad this is all so clear and easy to navigate.
    The CFO was very helpful.
    I think the guys and girls who man the phones are as unhappy about the way it was implemented as all of us where, but damn it's good to see that rock start rolling!
    Team Al Flaherty's
    www.alflahertys.com
    info@alflahertys.com
    416-651-6436
    Toll free 1-888-651-6436
    Follow us on Twitter @Al Flaherty's
    Follow us on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/al_flahertys/

  8. #8
    CGN Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Missisauga, ON
    Posts
    461
    So if I have already have a club level paper LTATT, is that the only thing that is valid for myself? Do I have to call in and request a new card with the new conditions on it?
    Are you familiar with The Shmoo, Mr. Fisher?

  9. #9
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    29,979
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Shmoo View Post
    So if I have already have a club level paper LTATT, is that the only thing that is valid for myself? Do I have to call in and request a new card with the new conditions on it?
    Yes.
    Unless you call them for the new conditions.

  10. #10
    GunNutz El_Monty457's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Southern Ontario
    Posts
    280
    Not being able to transport your restricted gear to other locations until you get a new card (LATT) with the updated transport conditions printed on it sounds ridiculous.

    When I've had STATT's issued in the past (for various new purchases) from the Ontario CFO, they've told me over the phone that all I needed was the authorization number, if I wasn't able to print out the certificate they emailed me at the time.
    I could scribble it down on a piece of paper, and if asked/challenged during transport, that's all they said I needed. They would simply look up that STATT number and Bob's your uncle. They already have your name and RPAL on file, etc., so they already know that you're a qualified RPAL and LTATT holder.
    That's fine that they will eventually send us all a new LTATT in the mail (or maybe through your club representative responsible), but I fail to see why a silly piece of paper is needed to actually prove you're qualified for the new conditions. If this is true then that's just a bureaucratic delay for no good logical reason. Everyone who has an existing valid LTATT ought to be instantly qualified for the new conditions as soon as it goes into effect, printed piece of paper or not. But maybe I'm expecting too much logic to prevail. ;-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •