Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161719 ... LastLast

Thread: Steyr Scout Stainless Steel Canadian .308Win

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Harry Callahan's Avatar
    Can't wait to put her through her pace next week...

"If A is success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."

- Albert Einstein, Observer, Jan. 15, 1950

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brian46's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mebiuspower View Post
    Interesting markings, any others?

USA

Austria

Last edited by Brian46; 09-08-2015 at 09:22 PM.
    If it's either loud, obnoxious, fast, hated by the general population or any combination of these, I OWN IT!!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Dosing's Avatar
    As for the Steyr triggers, I recommend people read the 'European' manuals, rather than the American (Lawyer-proof) ones. The trigger adjustment is covered, besides, you can see it is clearly an option, lock-tite/glue or not.

I for one am inpressed on how quickly the sold, North Sylva, you watching?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian46 View Post
    non hammer forged barrel?
    It is pretty easy to throw a barrel on a lathe and take the forging marks out, after all most companies do.
    I add nothing to these boards.... infact, I detract from thier quality!!!
    And don't you forget it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dosing View Post

It is pretty easy to throw a barrel on a lathe and take the forging marks out, after all most companies do.
    Steyr is popular and renowned world wide for not doing it

Note the proof marks and the USA markings
    If it's either loud, obnoxious, fast, hated by the general population or any combination of these, I OWN IT!!

Steyr is popular and renowned world-wide for doing it, Except this is along the lines of a Scout, which are turned down and fluted, and not left in a hammer forged pattern. As a modified Scout it matches the scout, without the fluting, which I doubt DND cared about for a rifle bound for the far north, never mind not needing a bling factor to drive the price up further.

Quote Originally Posted by mebiuspower View Post
    I'm not sure if the markings are Austrian or European.

Very nice to know that the date code indicate that it was manuf. in August 2014

"If A is success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."

Quote Originally Posted by Brian46 View Post
    Steyr is popular and renowned world wide for not doing it

Note the proof marks and the USA markings
    It's an Austrian made rifle that was imported in the US. US laws requires that firearms imported in the country must have the importer markings.
    Last edited by Harry Callahan; 09-08-2015 at 10:51 PM.

Steyr makes a great rifle. I've had a bunch of them over the years.

I'm sorry to hear that the Canadian government didn't pick this rifle, but Sako/Tikka make a good rifle too.

The only Steyr firearm not made in Austria (other than licence built military products) is the AUG-A3 for the American market (as of the last 5 years or so), as they cannot be imported under U.S. Federal law (without turning it into some kind of SL8/USC-type thing, which no one wants).

U.S. import marking have nothing to do with where a firearm is made. U.S. Federal law requires importers to permanently engrave their name and location, making "famous" all kinds of little towns around Washington D.C., and more recently, the South. Over at least the last 10 years, Steyr products sold in (or transiting through) the United States are marked "SAI, Trussville, AL" (Steyr Arms, inc., Trussville, Alabama), but this was not always the case:

The standard Scout barrel is hammer forged in the same way they all are, but it is then futed and profiled to cut down on weight, which makes the hammer forging markings less pronounced.

The marking on these Canadian Ranger trials rifles is very much the same as other newer Scouts:

Scout... a nice light accurate rifle. Great for carrying around all day. Would have been perfect for the Canadian Rangers!

Quote Originally Posted by Dosing View Post
    never mind not needing a bling factor to drive the price up further.
    If they didn't need the "bling" why stainless steel and remove the raw hammer forged finish?

Rough conditions in the north, increased durability in salt water prone and ice prone areas. Likely a ready supply of pre-fluted barrels, that needed to be machined for the front site and threaded muzzle. You want a tough rifle to take the canoe/atv/snowmobile beatings, not cheap carbon steel.