$vboptions[bbtitle]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: M1C & M1D Offset Scope for M14 / Norinco M305

Initially I was thinking of getting a Bassett. But then doubts about Chinese machining prowess started taking hold. I didn't want to deal with a side hole mounted scope that would not work well with misaligned grooves on the receiver. So I got a CASM-Ex. Apparently, the likelihood of having misaligned side grooves is higher than having a sight pocket milled out of square to the receiver. And even then, shimming the pocket is easier than trying to realign side grooves.

Even though the scope does look a tad high, I got proper cheek weld with a .75 magpul cheek riser on top of an MOE.

Quote Originally Posted by Slamfyre View Post
    Initially I was thinking of getting a Bassett. But then doubts about Chinese machining prowess started taking hold. I didn't want to deal with a side hole mounted scope that would not work well with misaligned grooves on the receiver. So I got a CASM-Ex. Apparently, the likelihood of having misaligned side grooves is higher than having a sight pocket milled out of square to the receiver. And even then, shimming the pocket is easier than trying to realign side grooves.

Even though the scope does look a tad high, I got proper cheek weld with a .75 magpul cheek riser on top of an MOE.
    What optic are you running?
    Prost!

Berger

A compact rubber armored 3-9x42 Ncstar. It came with rings and flip up transparent lens covers.
    Shoots nice. The group circled in red was the last one I did. This is using cheap Barnaul ammo -- 145gr FMJs.

HELP! I sold my soul to the internet
    Misaligned side grooves LOL
    I've handled more norinco receivers than most in this country and I call hawgwash. I can't even count how many smith ent, arms, promag, springfield, UTG ect ect ect, mounts I've installed on chinese rifles, for paying customers... over more than a decade without issues.

Quote Originally Posted by tb-bo View Post
    Arms 18 offers a lower mount option, but the m14.ca mount will not ever have a feeding problem and I mean never. This mount sits a little higher but will never fail you, or move, or shift. Also buy a tac pro cheek rest for this rifle.
    The m14.ca mount is my go-to and a terrific solid rail, but I have had once-in-a-blue-moon ejection issues with it. Toss a coin enough times and it will occasionally land on the edge and put enough rounds out and you'll see the odd brass hang-up, even with the m14.ca. I honestly think that with the M-14 design the only way to be 100% reliable is to run it with irons only, naturally YMMV.
    - CSSA - CCFR -

Quote Originally Posted by 45ACPKING View Post
    Misaligned side grooves LOL
    I've handled more norinco receivers than most in this country and I call hawgwash...
    That maybe so. I've only worked on one Norinco --my own-- and that was without any physical help from anybody, profesional gunsmith or otherwise. However, I found plenty complaints about side mounted scopes on the interwebs and not many about the CASM. I realize that it could be simple due to there being far more sidemounts in the market than CASMs. But the advantages of a CASM over sidemounts seemed to make sense to me, at least on paper. So far I have no complaints about mine.

HELP! I sold my soul to the internet
    Quote Originally Posted by Pop View Post
    The m14.ca mount is my go-to and a terrific solid rail, but I have had once-in-a-blue-moon ejection issues with it. Toss a coin enough times and it will occasionally land on the edge and put enough rounds out and you'll see the odd brass hang-up, even with the m14.ca. I honestly think that with the M-14 design the only way to be 100% reliable is to run it with irons only, naturally YMMV.
    I agree about the irons Pop for sure.
    In the end, buy the mount that suits your needs.
    BUT don't shy away from proven side mounts with decades of real world use just because some guy on the internet says norinco receivers are out of spec. You do see the very odd one come along, but you also can have problems with all the other M14 types out there as far as receiver dimension goes... Especially with sproingfield LOL
    I'd love to know who is convincing folks that the norincos are prone to side mount receiver dimension issues because from where I sit, with the experience I have, I once again will call utter hawgwash. Hehehe

Perhaps I shouldn't have repeated the phrase "Chinese machining prowess". I didn't mean to imply that SAI receivers are superior. I understand that Chinese forged receivers might be more desirable than SAI investment cast receivers.

That said, the two factors that made me decide against a side mount were:
    1. Difficulty/inability to get the shots on paper due to "misaligned side grooves" or whatever any other out of spec parameter in the receiver.

2. Reputation of the M14 as a scope killer. M14.CA addresed this in their literature and their explanation sounded plausible to me along with the CASM design features that addressed this problem.

Maybe I just bought in to the hype. But this was my very first attempt at scoping any rifle ever. It was also my first zeroing of a scope ever. I did not use boresighters. I did this all by myself. I got the scope shooting on paper and zeroed in without much complication. My M305 has not yet broken my cheap (frail?) NCstar scope. Overall my experience has been extremely positive.

This thread -- M1A killed another scope-- shows it's author having problems with scope killing while using a side mount. He switched to a CASM and no more scopes have died ...yet. See http://m14forum.com/optics/185809-m1...ml#post1641832

Well, looks like my little question has started a bit of a discussion.

Thanks for the input all. All very interesting.

I think at this time it is best I dive into all of the per-existing threads relating to M14 / M305 Scope mounting discussions.

Again, thanks all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12