Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: G9 Mag Adaptor, Pics and Installation thread

Business Member MagWedge Industries's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuck44 View Post
    Mine arrived to day. Thanks Dave. I took it to my 'smith to install. It may be awhile before he gets to it. I am not skilled enough to attempt it myself. I'll post pictures when it arrives all done.
    Bob
    Looking forward to seeing your build.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Canuck44's Avatar
    I`ll have the gun with pictures tomorrow. I have a question though, the XCR mags seem to be reluctant to load 10 rounds. Even at eight the bodies of the mags expand out and create feeding problems. Has anyone else run into this and do you have a cure. I am thinking that clipping the spring might help. Thoughts.

Bob
    A recent study has shown 1 out of 3 liberals are as stupid as the other 2.
    "If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Suffer the fools with grace...God made enough of them

I have had no problems with feeding issues although as you say these mags are a bit reluctant to take the full 10 rounds.

Perhaps someone else can speak about a possible solution to the problem ...

CGN Ultra frequent flyer FLYBYU44's Avatar
    I modified an SKS with "another" adapter and the only tools I used were a cheap air powered die grinder from Princess Auto, a small HSS burr and a angle grinder I won't say it was an easy process, but the end result was good. The instructions posted here are very detailed, I mostly had to figure it out on my own, which didn't help matters.
    I like guns....

Quote Originally Posted by FLYBYU44 View Post
    I modified an SKS with "another" adapter and the only tools I used were a cheap air powered die grinder from Princess Auto, a small HSS burr and a angle grinder I won't say it was an easy process, but the end result was good. The instructions posted here are very detailed, I mostly had to figure it out on my own, which didn't help matters.
    I salute your courage, lol.

Here are two pictures of the gun after the installation. I have not tried it out yet. My 'smith says the best he could do for feeding is with 8 rounds in the mags. I am going to try cutting the springs to see if I can get 10 loaded in the mag and with good feeding. He says the pressure of the rounds when you go to 10 cause the mag body to swell which in turn cause the bullets to tip front down and not allowing them to feed into the chamber. Hopefully less tension will cure this. Thoughts?

All in all this installationm is not a drop in installation and does require some knowledge of machining. If you don;t have the expertise my advice is to have it down by an experienced gunsmith. My cost to have it done was $80.

Bolt locks back after last round is fired. No issues there. Rather than grove bolt I ok'd the cutting of the front of the mag to accommodate the bolt. Other than that all good. I hope I can solve the mag capacity issue so the gun will run 10 rds. It is a mag issue not the Magwedge part.

Take Care

Bob
    Last edited by Canuck44; 10-31-2015 at 10:00 AM.
    "If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Is there a difference between ASC and RA x39 pistol mags? Is problem common for both of those?

I managed to solve my problem. I filed the front leg of my followers just a tad and slightly bent the top of the spring to apply more pressure to the front of the follower. That seemed to force the front of the cartridges a bit higher. This worked 100% of the time when the bolt was closed either on a round or when the chamber was empty. All but one of the mags fed 100% when I had the bolt back and the chamber was empty. I have since filed the mag follower a bit more and applied a bit more of a bend on the top of the spring for that mag and will test it today.

The Magwedge works fine as do the mags. I now have a relatively inexpensive semi-auto with a mag capacity of 10 rounds. The gun, in the right hands - likely not mine - could compete well with more expensive AR's. Does anyone know of a company that makes a rail replacement for the rear sight? I would like to mount either a scout scope or a red dot sight to replace the stock iron sights.

This modification on the SKS makes the SKS a better buy than the VZ58/858. The guns work on the same principle, fire the same rounds but I am not aware of anyone making a modification to allow 10 rd mags for the CZ/VZ.

I just hope Trudeau Jr. does not go and make the SKS a restricted or prohibited rifle. The gun is an excellent entry level deer rifle and works well as a bush gun. I have it on good authority it does a number on nuisance Black Bears as well.

Take Care

Bob
    FWIW the ASC mags don't scream quality. They do work though.,.,,just saying. I can't comment on the RA mags. If they cost the same they likely are similar quality.

Doesn't look too bad, I've been planning on going the die grinder route since I saw these available and I'm still confident I won't have any real trouble doing it. The hard part is going to be cutting up my $200 archangel stock, that's gonna hurt!

I know my 'smith did do some cutting but until you mentioned it I had not noticed. You won't either.

Worth doing though IMHO. I wish Magwedge would make an adaptor for the CZ/VZ58.858 rifles as well.

Take Care

Bob