Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Gun Safes for a beginner

My thoughts on the topic:

I prefer multiple small-medium size safes hidden around the home over a single large safe for the following reasons:

-If I ever move homes, or need to add more safes it's fairly easy; no more than a 2 man job transporting it, with people I know and trust.
    -easier to fit and hide them where you want to, just make sure to bolt it down to proper support.
    -if a burglar breaks in, the alarm system should spook them away before they are able to locate and break-into/remove the safes.
    -would rather not keep all my eggs in 1 basket

Also, if anyone has any experience with "fire-resistant" safes I would love to hear it. I am a bit skeptical as to their actual application since I see they only withstand a certain temp for a certain length in time.

Same boat as you are. My application has been with the RCMP for 15 days and they will hopefully get to work on it soon. I opted by listen to the helpful advice on here and bought a larger safe. I ended up going with the liberty provault 24 to start my dive into the gun world.

I figure it's better to allocate space and buy a bigger one to start.
    Proud member of CCFR

I am also new to buying and will be in the market for a safe. Based on responses it seems I should buy a big onerous accomodate future purchases!!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Trimmer 905's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperHart View Post
    I am also new to buying and will be in the market for a safe. Based on responses it seems I should buy a big onerous accomodate future purchases!!
    I would only buy smaller ones if you're just starting out. That way,as your collection grows,you can keep adding more together by bolting them together quite easily. You'll save yourself a ton of money.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feighney View Post
    ...I've been trying to find Sentry Safe Home Defense Center Model Number HDC11E. It looks like it would hold two AR15 and a hand gun...I just want a small one as I don't plan on buying more than 1 AR15 and a handgun.
    I have experience with that Sentry. From what you describe, I think I'd be perfect for you. As far as I can tell, it's out-of-production, so, if you want it, you'll have to buy it (out of someone's old-stock) wherever you can find it. My only reservation about that Sentry is that it includes a cam-lock bypass with a Ace-type/tubular lock cylinder susceptible to commonly-available lockpicking tools. You could, however, choose to replace that vulnerable lock cylinder with a more-secure cylinder. (Security Snobs sells replacement, high-security lock cylinders. <https://securitysnobs.com/Cam-Locks/>)

Don't listen to the naysayers. There's no rule that you can't own more than one gun safe. If you ever want another gun safe, you can buy another gun safe.
    Kyle Defoor talks about Mindset:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vPCqMo9TCg

Buy bigger than you think you need. Still kicking myself for not doing that... Buy once cry once. With scopes, slings, ARs, etc all in the mix you’ll find that space vanishes rather quickly...

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Mumbles Marble Mouth's Avatar
    The two biggest complaints about safes is not big enough and not modular enough. Just don’t buy an AmSec. They’re a good safe they just drain batteries unbelievably fast. Some safes just give you the illusion of security. So safes that have a large door gap are very easy to break into.
    "If you elect a clown, you get a circus. "

if it says 8 it will only hold 6, 12, only 8. like buying a tent. you don't want to scratch up rifles taking them in and out.

Has anyone here tried snapsafe? I like the idea of being able to break down a larger safe (because the two guns I have is about to be three, and I could see it being five or six or eight too easily...) but I worry that might compromise structure.

https://www.snapsafe.com/ is the website...

Quote Originally Posted by theglove213 View Post
    Buy bigger than you think you need. Still kicking myself for not doing that... Buy once cry once. With scopes, slings, ARs, etc all in the mix you’ll find that space vanishes rather quickly...

I'm going to buy two smaller than one huge heavy mother, easily to maneuver two 300lb-ers than one 850lb beast.