Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Gun Safes for a beginner

Question Gun Safes for a beginner

Hello All

I'm new to this "sport" and to tell the truth, still waiting for my paperwork.

I've been trying to find Sentry Safe Home Defense Center Model Number HDC11E.
    It looks like it would hold two AR15 and a hand gun.
    I can't find a store that sells this in Toronto or online in Canada.
    I don't what to ship it from the US as the cost of shipping and duties is nuts!

I've also seen YouTube videos and online this safe that I can get.
    Quick Access Biometric Rifle Safe by Barska

Barska Quick Access Biometric Rifle Safe AX11652 - 8-5/8"W x 9-13/16"D x 52-3/16"H Black
    for $357 Canadian
    http://www.globalindustrial.ca/p/sto...16d-x-52-3-16h

What do you think about these two safes? I just want a small one as I don't plan on buying more than 1 AR15 and a handgun.

Not sure about the Stack-On safes.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Roger

CGN Ultra frequent flyer blasted_saber's Avatar
    Buy a bigger one.

Whatever you plan on buying will change once you start buying.

Also keep in mind that safes are to stop your kids/curious house guests from getting a hold of guns. The truth is that the vast majority of safes or cabinets can be broken into by a determined thief in very little time.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too small.

You'll fill that in less than a month and be kicking yourself about not getting something bigger.

Also, dont trust the # of guns they say will fit in a safe. You'll never get that many in there while still being able to move stuff in and out. Especially if you've got some scoped rifles. My "8 gun" cabinet is cramped with 5. I could fit a 6th, but there is no way I'd get 8 in there, and only two of them have scopes right now.

And blasted_saber is totally right. Dont expect any safe to keep determined thieves out. They are great for keeping undetermined thieves, children, snoopy friends, and the like out though. And keeping your arse safe from being charged over improperly stored firearms. That last part alone is worth their price.
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

CGN frequent flyer kinggeorge168's Avatar
    I didn't know there is a such thing as a gun safes for beginner....

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Hello,

I am not very familiar with either one of those safes. They both appear to be what I would say is on the light side. I would likely stay away from the Barska option as I have found Barska to make some crappy products. I wouldn't be surprised if you found yourself having to break into your own safe because the biometric locked failed.

The type of safe you should get depends on what level on security you are looking for. If you are not worried about break ins too much they might be fine.

I would recommend the Liberty Pro-Vault line up. A quick google search to show you where to buy one. If you grow out of it you can easily buy another larger safe and have two. I am not a safe expert by any stretch but I found that the Pro-Vault is a well though out low-mid grade safe. While not as tough as the high end safes it would be a real pain to break into. I get the feeling that it is designed by people who understand how they are usually broken into.

I disagree with blasted-sabre. I believe safes are very effective in reducing theft of firearms. A thief would require a lot of skill and time to break into a quality safe(like a liberty). They are designed by people who know how they get broken into.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer The_Sicilian's Avatar
    Biometric safes can be finicky and like others mentioned, what you are looking at is too small. I started with a Costco safe which is a popular choice with many members here. Good size, well built and available at a reasonable cost.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer The_Sicilian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kinggeorge168 View Post
    I didn't know there is a such thing as a gun safes for beginner....
    Feel better about your post count?

I'm very happy with my Costco safe so far.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer trebor2880's Avatar
    I got a "Stack-On". Hasn't been broken into, yet!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeD81 View Post
    I'm very happy with my Costco safe so far.
    Can you post a link to you safe, as I don't see gun safes in my local Costco here in Toronto

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast