Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: "Under Quoted Shipping"

If an automated checkout calculates the shipping, and then accepts payment., IE they billed the CC, then IMO the deal is done and the company should be eating the loss.

Look at Air Canada when they post an online deal and miss a zero. They pull the deal down as soon as they find out, but honour the ones that were purchased.

While offering to split the difference is nice, at the end of the day the merchant is responsible for its software, and if you bill a client, the deal is done. Coming back later asking for more is bad taste IMO. Take the loss up with the company who designed your software, or the person who assigned the variables for cost.

CGN frequent flyer
    I would be happy to split the extra - and still feel bad that the business got suckered by a faulty shipping estimate program.

CGN Regular
    I don't think air Canada vs wolverine supplies is a fair comparison. I agree that any big box store making profits in the millions should eat the loss, but a smaller business offering to split the difference is a professional gesture. At the end of the day, if the op truly don't want to split the difference with them, they gave the option to cancel. Mistakes happen, human or electronic.

I don't think I'd be terribly happy finding out after the fact that another $20 had been addded to my order, but I'd be twice as unhappy if $40 had been added to my order. With that said, Wolverine Supplies customer service is pretty well second to none in my experience, and a heads-up about another $20 to my order wouldn't deter me from further business. That is, if I didn't just live close enough to drive. Which I do.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpyold View Post
    OP posted for some reason and merchant answered in post # 16. This should have been a discussion between them and never posted.
    I think this thread should be locked before it deteriorate even further as most ppl won't bother reading past page 1 (and last page)

Business Member Grumpy Wolverine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smilloy View Post
    If an automated checkout calculates the shipping, and then accepts payment., IE they billed the CC, then IMO the deal is done and the company should be eating the loss.

Look at Air Canada when they post an online deal and miss a zero. They pull the deal down as soon as they find out, but honour the ones that were purchased.

While offering to split the difference is nice, at the end of the day the merchant is responsible for its software, and if you bill a client, the deal is done. Coming back later asking for more is bad taste IMO. Take the loss up with the company who designed your software, or the person who assigned the variables for cost.
    Well then in this case you would be incorrect as our website DOES NOT PROCESS PAYMENT. No money is taken from the card. That is done the following day by human hands, who verify that the items are indeed in stock and that the shipping is indeed correct. That way if something needs to be address with the buyer we can do it before any money changes hands.
    If you have any questions please call or e-mail:

Phone: (204) 748-2454
    E-mail: sales@wolverinesupplies.com Retail Sales

Business Member Grumpy Wolverine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aps2 View Post
    I think this thread should be locked before it deteriorate even further as most ppl won't bother reading past page 1 (and last page)
    Agreed and locked.
    If you have any questions please call or e-mail:

Phone: (204) 748-2454
    E-mail: sales@wolverinesupplies.com Retail Sales

Since the customer chose to post on a public forum I feel an explanation on a public forum is required.

Firstly we ask that anytime a customer has a problem they bring it to our attention before posting on a public forum. If then, we fail to offer satisfaction to the customer by all means post publicly. This usually results in a speedy resolution that suits all parties, saves everyone involved a lot of time and avoids any possibly bad feelings that may be created by posting publicly first.

Lessons Learned:

Shipping costs created and calculated by automated systems are often incorrect. These errors can be huge when different carriers are compared.
    In this case we had an error as the incorrect weight had been entered in the automated calculator.
    A disclaimer will now be added to all shipping estimates so when there is a difference between the estimate and the actual cost the customer will be notified before shipping.

Not all carriers are implementing the $44-$47 charge per shipment for dangerous goods, at this time.
    While Can Par may be good for some it does not work for us as we have experienced poor service, lost parcels, delayed delivery and poor tracking.
    Loomis and Purolator give us the best service but are more expensive.
    Shipping to the Maritimes and Northern Communities may have to stop simply because it is cost prohibited. Firstly, not all carriers deliver to the final destination, but sub-contract part of the service out which adds to costs. As well, regulations require certain additional steps to be taken which also adds to the costs.

For the record:
    The disclaimer “PRICES, PRODUCTS AND LEAD TIMES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE” has been on the signature block of all my sales staff for well over a year.
    On our web page under “CONDITIONS OF USE” and “PRODUCT DESCRIPTIONS” we have a disclaimer that states:
    “WOLVERINE SUPPLIES and its associates attempt to be as accurate as possible. However, WOLVERINE SUPPLIES does not warrant that product descriptions or other content of this site is accurate, complete, reliable, current, or error-free.”

In closing, we appreciated the feedback and have taken measures so customers will be more clearly informed that online shipping quotes are estimates only and that any discrepancies from actual shipping charges will be advised of prior to shipping.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456