Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 46789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Southern Alberta Tavor Course: It's Happening!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Still alive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by onetwentyish View Post
    Yeah, anything that was not to spec of the issued IDF Tavors felt different and odd to her, so it wasn't something she preferred.
    Goes to show what one can get used to when one practices and familiarizes on a gun enough.
    Es wird nie so heiss gegessen, wie es gekocht wird
    CCFR CPC
    Check out dssbca.com for info on TAC rifle matches in the Lower Mainland and the Fraser Valley.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer onetwentyish's Avatar
    Yup. However, I am very thankful that we do not have to stay to IDF Spec, as I personally much prefer the light 2 stage AR feeling Giessele I have now, and the curved buttpad.

The biggest gripe I had about the course, is she is a drill seargent, and rather than working with or paracticing with any of the different set up Tavors in different ways, all had to be run like they are IDF spec. Thats where I can see this course differentiates from something like a Haley Strategic Course.

Lets be very clear: this was an IDF Basic Tavor Training course, and is based 100% on IDF use of IDF issued rifles. As fenceline said, it was as much of a cultural taste as it was a shooting course. I can tell you I would have bruised ribs like crazy if I was in the IDF, I think alot of us would have. They train hard untill they have it perfect.
    "I dont usually bring targets im more of a dirt shooter." -daniel_250r
    I am the "small fringe minority" with "unacceptable" views.
    CCFR 🍁 CSSA

CGN Ultra frequent flyer TV-PressPass's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by onetwentyish View Post
    The biggest gripe I had about the course, is she is a drill seargent, and rather than working with or paracticing with any of the different set up Tavors in different ways, all had to be run like they are IDF spec. Thats where I can see this course differentiates from something like a Haley Strategic Course.
    The balance between IDF and civilian setup is still something we're tinkering with for sure. Some of that'll be phase II. We're trying to settle a debate on where a course ends and a competitive shoot begins.

But lots of guys ran their upgraded rifles just fine this weekend!

Yup, however by removing the ejection port cover, I now check the closer ejection port when the mag runs dry, when there is a stoppage, or when doing a press check.

Speaking of press checks: That is one thing the IDF does that annoys me so MUCH! Who does a press check after every time you re-insert a magazine?! Might as well do a press check after every round to make sure it successfully stripped the next round.

I get doing a press check upon intial loading/charging sequence or after clearing a stoppage (especially if reusing the mag that initiated the stoppage) but after every mag is ridiculous and basically nullifies the need for a bolt hold open device since you will be required to pull on the charging handle anyways, and in my opinion put your rifle at risk of not having the bolt seat all the way back down after only letting it fly home from half way, specifically if its dirty.

Another thing that bugged me was that they called a reload a stoppage. Its a normal rifle function that is meant to happen...
    CCFR 🍁 CSSA

CGN Ultra frequent flyer fenceline's Avatar
    I liked the approach of trying to focus on the IDF methods. I think that's the point of having an IDF firearms instructor teach the course. It is what Lovie knows and she does it well. The farther you get away from that the less unique this course becomes. I think that would be a loss.

I think calling a mag dry reload a stoppage drill isn't a big deal. The gun stopped working. It stopped. Fix it. I get that.

Doing a press check after every reload and stoppage.... I have to agree that doesn't make much sense to me. I can tap and rack again faster than press checking. But that is the idf way so I'm glad it was taught that way.

As I mentioned before, for me courses are about learning the methods presented by the instructor. As a good student I try to maintain an open mind and follow the teachings as they are taught. Afterwards, as a shooter I analyze what I was taught then fit it in to the rest of what I know.

The more tools in the tool box the better, even if I end up not needing to use them individually all the time or much at all.
    CQB, 3 Gun, ISSAC and Service Rifle Shooter.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - 1* - SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM - HAN SHOT FIRST - YOUR FREEDOM IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY

I agree 100%, just not what I was expecting going into the course. I cant wait to recieve more north american style themed training to blend the 2 styles.

I just want others to know when they go into this course in the future (although it may change between now and then) that this course is IDF Basic Tavor 101.

It was a very neat experience, would definitely do it again and if there is an advanced course in the future I will certainly be interested.
    CCFR 🍁 CSSA

CGN Ultra frequent flyer TV-PressPass's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fenceline View Post
    I think calling a mag dry reload a stoppage drill isn't a big deal. The gun stopped working. It stopped. Fix it. I get that.
    Pretty sure the CF treats it that way too. Can someone confirm?

Think in terms of 3 types of stoppages: bolt forward, bolt locked to the rear, bolt somewhere messy in between

CGN Ultra frequent flyer fenceline's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TV-PressPass View Post
    Pretty sure the CF treats it that way too. Can someone confirm?

Think in terms of 3 types of stoppages: bolt forward, bolt locked to the rear, bolt somewhere messy in between
    Several places do. It isn't a malfunction, but it is a stoppage.
    CQB, 3 Gun, ISSAC and Service Rifle Shooter.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - 1* - SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM - HAN SHOT FIRST - YOUR FREEDOM IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY

Quote Originally Posted by fenceline View Post
    Several places do. It isn't a malfunction, but it is a stoppage.
    Ah. Okay so I was making the mistake of associating malfunction and stoppage in my brain. Good point.
    CCFR 🍁 CSSA

CGN frequent flyer Jerry Champagne's Avatar
    I hope the course will be ran as per IDF standards if and when it comes to ontario
    I see your Jihad and Raise you a Crusade

Have you ever smelt your enemy's last breath? Have you?