Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Southern Alberta Tavor Course: It's Happening!

Just wanted to say that I had a blast at the course! Meeting TVPP, Lovie, Yoav and other Tavor owners was awesome! My primary rifle is the Tavor so it was great to be immersed in the “IDF way” for a couple of days with a genuine ex-IDF instructor.

One thing to note about the course is that many of the live fire drills required the use of Beowulf mags. Lovie’s confused reaction to our group’s attempt to explain Canada’s silly 5 rnd limit on our mags was classic (sad for us). Fortunately, CSC had a bunch of Beowulf mags available for a reasonable price which was good. However, what they had were equivalent in length to 20 round Pmags. I’m used to 30 round Pmags so I ended up fumbling mag changes quite a bit. For me, the shorter length of the mag was awkward to handle since the magwell is close to the body. I plan to find some Beowulf mag extensions before the next Tavor course!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer fenceline's Avatar
    Actually.....

Not once did I load more than 10 rounds, and for our crew she never asked us to load more than 10 including the malfunction mags. I bought Beowulf mags and it was an expense I didn't really need to make at the time.

Unless things change, pistol mags will get you through fine.
    CQB, 3 Gun, ISSAC and Service Rifle Shooter.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - 1* - SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM - HAN SHOT FIRST - YOUR FREEDOM IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY

Quote Originally Posted by fenceline View Post
    Actually.....

Not once did I load more than 10 rounds, and for our crew she never asked us to load more than 10 including the malfunction mags. I bought Beowulf mags and it was an expense I didn't really need to make at the time.

Good point. I didn't have pistol mags so went with the Beowulfs.
    There is no way EVERYBODY was kung*fu fighting. No way!

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by FuzziRhyno View Post
    Good point. I didn't have pistol mags so went with the Beowulfs.
    I had both and would only consider using the pistol mags with couplers or extensions. By themselves I never would have been able to do those mag changes

Quote Originally Posted by CamDelle View Post
    I had both and would only consider using the pistol mags with couplers or extensions. By themselves I never would have been able to do those mag changes
    LAR indeed, too true. Other pistol mags like the ATRS mags, and the Thermold pistol mags would be long enough.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - 1* - SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM - HAN SHOT FIRST - YOUR FREEDOM IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY

CGN Ultra frequent flyer TV-PressPass's Avatar
    Actually.....

I gave them the condition of "no more than 10 per mag per drill" because lots of the initial drafts were calling for 15. Considering the variable .223 capacity between different brands of Beowulf, we figured 10 was a safe threshold.

Like others have said: if you're shooting with LAR's I would heartily recommend a grip extension.

Quote Originally Posted by TV-PressPass View Post
    I gave them the condition of "no more than 10 per mag per drill" because lots of the initial drafts were calling for 15. Considering the variable .223 capacity between different brands of Beowulf, we figured 10 was a safe threshold.

Like others have said: if you're shooting with LAR's I would heartily recommend a grip extension.
    Must have been after I asked you on Friday... before I bought the Beowulf mags hahaha.

Oh well, more mags isn't a bad thing.

CGN Regular
    Must have been after I asked you on Friday... before I bought the Beowulf mags hahaha.

Oh well, more mags isn't a bad thing.
    You know it would be great if the participants could get a break down of what we did. course outline or something. I know note taking was mentioned but at times I had trouble just standing up. LOL..... No Really I did!!!!!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Still alive's Avatar
    From you guys description of the course, it sounds like "Know your Tavor 101/102". Weapons drills, malfunction drills, cleaning and care type thing.
    I guess Lovie can't be disclosing too many IDF combat and shooting tactics since they are still using the platform!
    I would agree with 120ish that a Haley Strategics type CQB course dedicated to the Tavor would be a great idea! Maybe Zahal and TVPP can come up with something. I'm sure it would be well attended.
    I, for one, would like to know how a righty shoots an unmodified Tavor weak handed without getting hit in the face with brass and getting said brass flying back into the ejection port.
    Es wird nie so heiss gegessen, wie es gekocht wird
    CCFR CPC
    Check out dssbca.com for info on TAC rifle matches in the Lower Mainland and the Fraser Valley.

Weak side shooting wasn't discussed.