Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about whether I can hunt or not without a PAL...

Question about whether I can hunt or not without a PAL...

Hi All!

I'm 57 years old and just passed my NS Hunter Education Course today (and my Firearms Safety Course about 2.5 weeks ago). This will be the first time in my life to go hunting. The last time I shot a weapon was in CAF basic training (40 years ago). I am looking forward to getting out there!

Before I do that, I need you experienced hunters to answer a question for me. It will take a while before I get my PAL... maybe another 4 weeks or more according to the RCMP office that I called in NB. OK, the NS DNR site states the following...

"TO LEGALLY HUNT WITH A FIREARM IN NOVA SCOTIA ALL PERSONS MUST COMPLETE THE HUNTER EDUCATION COURSE (which I have) "AND" MUST HAVE A VALID FIREARMS LICENCE (PAL OR POL which I don't have), "OR" BE UNDER THE DIRECT AND IMMEDIATE SUPERVISION OF A PERSON WHO HOLDS A VALID FIREARMS LICENSE (I have a friend who does)."

QUESTIONS: Based on what I typed above in caps, can I go hunting with a friend who has a PAL and the Hunter Education course? Can we both carry a rifle/gun or, do we have to share one rifle/gun? If so, can I carry that one gun? If not, can he use the deer tag I purchased and shoot 2 deer?

Thanks in advance guys? I will be calling the local DNR in my area tomorrow, but I just wanted to get your opinions before hand. I will post what they tell me tomorrow night!

Murray
    Last edited by SKS7.62-39; 10-21-2015 at 07:13 PM.

Hi there,

I'm also in N.S. Normally your scenario would fit a youth out hunting with an Uncle/Dad/Mom. But I believe you could do the same. There can be only one firearm between the two of you, and it cannot be yours. By close supervision, they are expecting "within arm's reach" or similar. In other words the person with the PAL must be in control of the firearm at all times, even if you are the one aiming at game. To be certain, you could call a DNR office in your locality, like you suggested.

Thanks labradort!

Your response made me think about the meaning of "direct supervision" and I found this legal interpretation of the phase...

Direct supervision generally means to be physically present, or within an immediate distance, such as on the same floor, and available to respond to the needs of something or someone.

Here is another...

"Direct and immediate supervision" means proper supervision but does not include line of sight supervision.

It will be interesting to find out how the NS DNR interprets that phrase.

Murray
    Last edited by SKS7.62-39; 10-21-2015 at 07:16 PM.

In BC you can carry the firearm and hunt, buddy just has to be close enough to you that you can hear him without an amplified device (voice range and in sight). He can't send you one direction while he heads in another .. you basically hunt together and if he has his hunting license, then you BOTH can hunt. Certainly you can EACH have a firearm. No different than taking a non-licensed person to the range to shoot with you.

Quote Originally Posted by TPK View Post
    Certainly you can EACH have a firearm. No different than taking a non-licensed person to the range to shoot with you.
    This is wrong. Note the lack of a PAL. One PAL = one firearm. If you take someone to the range, you are not supposed to be letting them go do whatever. That is the whole point of the A) firearm safety or equivalent and B) range orientation and probationary period (at least this is how the club I belong to operates).

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...etaire-eng.htm

A licence is not necessary to borrow a firearm if the borrower remains under the direct and immediate supervision of a properly licensed adult aged 18 or older.
    The PAL holder cannot be giving direct and immediate supervision if the PAL holder is also using their own rifle.

OK I found this on the RCMP site that "relates" to this topic. But, the RCMP deal with firearms regulation and not the Hunting laws of Nova Scotia...

Firearm Owners and Users Aged 18 and Older

License Requirements

It is necessary to have a firearms license in order to possess or borrow a firearm or to acquire, by any means, a firearm or ammunition.

Exception

A license is not necessary to borrow a firearm if the borrower remains under the direct and immediate supervision of a properly licensed adult aged 18 or older.

And I found this from the PDF version of the - 2015 Nova Scotia Hunting and Furharvesting Summary of Regulations...

Borrowing a Rifle or Shotgun

You must have a valid Firearms License (Possession Only or Possession
    and Acquisition) or a Non-resident 60 day Possession License. A minor
    must have a Minor’s License. If you do not have one of the above you
    may still borrow a firearm but must be under direct and immediate
    supervision of the licensed owner (One firearm between two people
    who keep approximately arms length apart).

So... it looks like (again I will ask the local DNR to be certain) I can hunt with a friend if I have a NS Hunters Client Card (you apply for this after passing the Firearms Safety Course and the Hunters Education Course) and be in procession of a game license (for deer let's say), and he has the same PLUS a PAL. But, only one firearm between us. Example... I have the gun/rifle in my hands, I aim it, and I shoot it. He must remain within arms length of me.

CGN Regular
    I'd like to know what the DNR has to say on that one!! I believe common sense has a factor. Unless your hunting geese, probably want to be a bit further away from the shooter. Shooting in the bush and shooting in a populated range are two different things. What it you have 2 friends you take to the range, does one have to wait in the car till the other is done.

I always thought you could share a tag?

Quote Originally Posted by labradort View Post
    This is wrong. Note the lack of a PAL. One PAL = one firearm. If you take someone to the range, you are not supposed to be letting them go do whatever. That is the whole point of the A) firearm safety or equivalent and B) range orientation and probationary period (at least this is how the club I belong to operates).

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...etaire-eng.htm

The PAL holder cannot be giving direct and immediate supervision if the PAL holder is also using their own rifle.
    Complete BS, one PAL does not = one firearm, not in BC any way. Lot's of people take a non-licensed individual hunting and EACH carry a gun, sometimes two guns each!!!!
    Many of our open house events see ONE person looking after two unlicensed people on a firing line side by side, or one guy looking after two trap shooters, etc.
    If the law was one PAL holder = one gun when dealing unlicensed individuals it would STATE that CLEARLY. Find me anywhere where it says that either in the firearms act or hunting regs.
    If that's how "you" interpret it, that's your choice, but it certainly is just that ... your interpretation and choice, others chose differently and are well within the law.
    Last edited by TPK; 10-22-2015 at 02:11 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer ipscgraz's Avatar
    On a reasonably direct route with the wipers on.
    Lots of assumptions here.

You can hunt with what you have. You can have a rifle as long as the PAL holder is in direct supervision, meaning you can walk down the logging road side by side. You cannot wander off to a stand by yourself unless the PAL holder is in "direct supervision"
    A demand for further gun laws is an admission that the hundreds of gun laws already on the books, and the Firearms Act itself, is simply to placate the uninformed.

“The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws." Tacitus

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Gatehouse's Avatar
    Crimes. Just go hunting with your buddy. Stay close to each other. If stopped by officers, make sure buddy makes it clear that all guns are his.

The idea of one PAL=One gun is nonsense
    375 Ruger is the NEW KING of the .375's. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast