Better than Black Friday, New BLACK GUN now available Nov 24th 2016

Our new Modern Varmint rifle has an official FRT number, so we can now take orders for them.
The FRT# for those few who have a need to know these things is 162446

We are working on our website currently to get the order form uploaded and live. The IT gurus are telling me they will have this live later today. The new format looks to me to be very intuitive and easy to navigate. ( I am not computerish at all so what do I know)
There will no doubt be questions, please do not hesitate to either call or email us for answers.

Anticipated delivery of 1st production run is June or July 2016. We do not have a set in stone delivery date. This is just our best projection.

At this point only 223 versions are being offered, we are looking at other options for the future.

For those new to the party, the ATRS Modern Varmint is a semi automatic rifle that is as close to an AR15 as is possible yet has the advantages to Canadian shooters of being NON RESTRICTED as well as MADE IN CANADA BY CANADIANS.

It is important to understand that these, like the Modern Hunter, are NOT AR's but share some commonality of parts. Much of the furniture for an AR is compatible, but not all butt stocks will accommodate the side charge handles guide when the rifle is being charged, hence our offering only butt stocks we know will work at a factory level. I am sure there are more than we are aware of but have the major flavors covered.

These rifle employ STANAG mags. A proprietary trigger group that cannot be changed out or altered. It is a crisp single stage trigger factory set a 3lbs. and can be configured with full ambidextrous features.

We are not selling just the uppers and lowers, only as completed and tested rifles. We will be offering additional uppers in the future.

http://albertatacticalrifle.com/modern-hunter/modern-varminter

We have had a few folks ask, "what if the government bans semi autos?"
ATRS has NO control on what the government will or will not do, through any means be it laws being changed by due process or IOC.
Our suggestion if you are concerned is to contact Ralph Gooddale the minister of Public Safety who is the newly elected dude in charge of all things firearms related.
We have asked our suppliers of everything from raw aluminum to the new CNC mill and all have no intention of refunding our money if the government changes the laws.
IF you are concerned about changes that the Lieberal government "may" make, NOW is either the time to get involved to get the government to leave the firearms culture alone or smoke enough legalized pot so that you just don't care anymore.

Seriously however, it is interesting to note that the SFSS/RCMP gave us verbal FRT approval 4 days after the election. As anyone following the Modern Hunter saga knows it took 3 years to get FRT approval under the Harper government.

How much does the rifle weigh?
can I order now in another caliber so I can be the first to get one when they are offered in "future" ?

How much does the rifle weigh?
can I order now in another caliber so I can be the first to get one when they are offered in "future" ?

The 1 we are testing currently is a base model with no upgrades, has a medium weight barrel, and weighs just shy of 7lbs

We "may" look at other calibers at some point, but don't hold yer breath waiting it may be longer than you can hold for.:rolleyes:

The 1 we are testing currently is a base model with no upgrades, has a medium weight barrel, and weighs just shy of 7lbs

We "may" look at other calibers at some point, but don't hold yer breath waiting it may be longer than you can hold for.:rolleyes:
The weight sounds good, I will even pre pay now if you can commit to making me one in Remington 30 AR

Slightly off topic - but 4 days for a FRT? How the heck did you do that? There are guns STILL waiting to be classified and given a FRT for YEARS from some importers....

No No No No! We got the FRT verbal OK 4 days after the election the rifle was shipped to the SFSS/RCMP 3 months prior. Being as the Varmint is simply a scaled down "variant" of our Modern Hunter, which took 3 YEARS for them to determine was NON Restricted, the follow on of the Varmint was easier. Technically it could have been with photos and a schematic as the guns , apart from dimensions are identical.

Well now I'm torqued. Five days ago dropped over 5 large on a Modern Hunter (no glass yet either) and now you announce this. Lol. 2016 is looking like an expensive year......

Can someone help explain (to a relative novice) a little more about the different barrel weights? How much do they differ in round count life expectancy? (pro/cons of the choices) Also how much weight savings is there vs the proof barrel?
Thank you.

Barrel life will be about the same regardless of contour or whether it is a CFW barrel. ALL of the barrels we use are stainless steel or in the case of the Proof barrels, stainless steel liner with the CFW applied.
Barrel life is more dependent on how hot the barrel is allowed to get as the hotter the barrel is kept the faster "fire cracking" and throat erosion occur.
The lightest barrel contour we offer will get you roughly 3 or 4 shots before heat starts to effect accuracy, this contour weighs the same as the CFW barrel that is dimension-ally the same as a bull barrel contour.

The medium barrel contour that we offer will get you roughly 6 to 8 shots before heat starts to effect things.
The bull barrel or heaviest contour we offer will get you roughly 10 to 15 shots before heat becomes an issue again.

Barrel life is wholly dependent on how the barrel is treated and that part remains solely in the hands of the operator.

I have been bouncing back and forth between barrel choices myself. I want to go CFW, but I am having trouble justifying $900 more.

The way I see it, the benefits of the Proof CFW barrel are the following:
-weight is kept similar to a light contour whill maintaining a heavy profile
-heat disapates much quicker to aid in better groups with less cool down time.

I am torn between the Proof CFW and medium contour SS barrel. Its going to be an all around rifle with fire rates from as high and non accuracy minded as CQB courses to as slow and methodical as printing groups.

Rick & others, in your opinion, what should I consider going with?

Sorry, you will simply have to learn to love a 3lb single stage as that is all that will work with this rifle.

Looks good! Is there any way to get a heavier trigger so it's legal to use in service conditions matches?

How heavy a trigger is required for service rifle?

Unfortunately Timney who makes the trigger for us only goes to 4.5 lbs, so it does not look good unless the service rifle rules change to reflect modern times.

I believe SR is 4.5 pounds minimum, which is where I was going with my original inquiry about triggers. Just looking for more reasons to consider a MV. :)

Back
Top Bottom