Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Better than Black Friday, New BLACK GUN now available Nov 24th 2016

Business Member alberta tactical rifle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DocShay View Post
    Slightly off topic - but 4 days for a FRT? How the heck did you do that? There are guns STILL waiting to be classified and given a FRT for YEARS from some importers....
    No No No No! We got the FRT verbal OK 4 days after the election the rifle was shipped to the SFSS/RCMP 3 months prior. Being as the Varmint is simply a scaled down "variant" of our Modern Hunter, which took 3 YEARS for them to determine was NON Restricted, the follow on of the Varmint was easier. Technically it could have been with photos and a schematic as the guns , apart from dimensions are identical.
    Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply

Canada's Premier Precision Rifle Manufacturer

Please email all inquiries to info@albertatacticalrifle.com NOT through PMs

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

http://www.albertatacticalrifle.com/
    Long Distance is BETTER than being there

Quote Originally Posted by alberta tactical rifle View Post
    How heavy a trigger is required for service rifle?
    5 pounds.

Well now I'm torqued. Five days ago dropped over 5 large on a Modern Hunter (no glass yet either) and now you announce this. Lol. 2016 is looking like an expensive year......
    Potentially, a government is the most dangerous threat to man's rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.

Ayn Rand

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brian46's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by griffin86 View Post
    The lightest Modern Hunter combination only weighs 1 pound more.
    a pound is actually a lot more in the grand scale of things
    If it's either loud, obnoxious, fast, hated by the general population or any combination of these, I OWN IT!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tenguns View Post
    5 pounds.
    Unfortunately Timney who makes the trigger for us only goes to 4.5 lbs, so it does not look good unless the service rifle rules change to reflect modern times.

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

Quote Originally Posted by hend238 View Post
    Which barrel manufacturer are you using for the MV? For the steel barrels that is.
    Lilja for the stainless and Proof for the CFW

Quote Originally Posted by myp1974 View Post
    Can someone help explain (to a relative novice) a little more about the different barrel weights? How much do they differ in round count life expectancy? (pro/cons of the choices) Also how much weight savings is there vs the proof barrel?
    Thank you.
    Barrel life will be about the same regardless of contour or whether it is a CFW barrel. ALL of the barrels we use are stainless steel or in the case of the Proof barrels, stainless steel liner with the CFW applied.
    Barrel life is more dependent on how hot the barrel is allowed to get as the hotter the barrel is kept the faster "fire cracking" and throat erosion occur.
    The lightest barrel contour we offer will get you roughly 3 or 4 shots before heat starts to effect accuracy, this contour weighs the same as the CFW barrel that is dimension-ally the same as a bull barrel contour.

The medium barrel contour that we offer will get you roughly 6 to 8 shots before heat starts to effect things.
    The bull barrel or heaviest contour we offer will get you roughly 10 to 15 shots before heat becomes an issue again.

Barrel life is wholly dependent on how the barrel is treated and that part remains solely in the hands of the operator.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer onetwentyish's Avatar
    I have been bouncing back and forth between barrel choices myself. I want to go CFW, but I am having trouble justifying $900 more.

The way I see it, the benefits of the Proof CFW barrel are the following:
    -weight is kept similar to a light contour whill maintaining a heavy profile
    -heat disapates much quicker to aid in better groups with less cool down time.

I am torn between the Proof CFW and medium contour SS barrel. Its going to be an all around rifle with fire rates from as high and non accuracy minded as CQB courses to as slow and methodical as printing groups.

Rick & others, in your opinion, what should I consider going with?
    "I dont usually bring targets im more of a dirt shooter." -daniel_250r
    I am the "small fringe minority" with "unacceptable" views.
    CCFR 🍁 CSSA

Sorry, you will simply have to learn to love a 3lb single stage as that is all that will work with this rifle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenguns View Post
    Looks good! Is there any way to get a heavier trigger so it's legal to use in service conditions matches?
    How heavy a trigger is required for service rifle?
    Unfortunately Timney who makes the trigger for us only goes to 4.5 lbs, so it does not look good unless the service rifle rules change to reflect modern times.
    I believe SR is 4.5 pounds minimum, which is where I was going with my original inquiry about triggers. Just looking for more reasons to consider a MV.
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

Will there be options for a 4.5 pound trigger on the varmint hunter in the future?