Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First Rifle

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by alfonzo1955 View Post
    I'm concerned about recoil because I'm not exactly a big guy. I don't weigh a whole ton, so I want to start with something a little more manageable. Would a 12ga be worth considering as well?
    Recoil can be fun once you have learned the basics of shooting. A .22 has very little discernable recoil so it is nice for learning on but at some point
    you will want something with more flash, bang and fire and that will be the right time to get another gun, perhaps even a 12 gauge which is a big
    difference from a rifle. If you are learning to shoot as a hobby while going to school, a .22 is just right for all your criteria. A 12 gauge can be more
    expensive to feed than most rifles as well as needing different techniques and circumstances to shoot.

GunNutz
    While .22's are great in every way you might consider a 9mm carbine. To be exact a kel tec sub2k (gen 1 or 2), not terribly expensive, very fun to shoot , and folded in half will fit in a small back pack . Just a thought.

So was the ISSC Mk22 your first gun? What are you getting next? (yes, I got bored... Just wanted to see if you had any posts on your Mk22. LOL). As much as I'd really really like to recommend an SKS, the bulk surplus ammo is getting much harder to get. Mossberg 500 or a Remington 870 for skeet shooting is a lot of fun! You can get a smaller SpeedFeed Buttstock which also has more rubber to take the impact of the kick. LOTS of fun! I got one on my 870.. works really good. But, I'm guessing you already have something in mind?

Take a look at the Kel-Tec Sub 2000 in 9mm. I don't currently own one, but its on my WTB list.

Non restricted
    Easy to store
    9mm is relatively inexpensive
    Extra glock mags if you decided to get into pistols

As I'm writing this, I see ultramo had the same idea...

Edit. This thread is wayyy old..
    Last edited by justmessing; 04-26-2018 at 12:40 AM. Reason: autocorrect, thread revival

I agree. A 10/22 is a great first choice cheap to shoot fun, it was my first rifle and my second was a SKS.
    my third a mosin, really I think all "enthusiastic" firearm owners should have all these in their collection. They are all great choices for a first gun. Not sure which is the best but personally I learn towards a mosin or SKS because they have a bit more bang which is fun but are a little more expensive ammo wise. I like bolt actions so the mosin is awesome and it does take awhile to get through a mag which is cost efficient.

Also if your worried about recoil of the mosin, don't be for me at least I think it's nothing. Less than a shotgun, probably feel it more than SKS and .223 but I would not say it's at all uncomfortable.

Hello,

If you're concerned about the Mosin recoil, you might consider a slip-on pad from Limbsaver. I started using one when shooting the Mosin prone; I get as low as possible and that necessitated shooting off the collarbone.

It's an interesting sensation, when a bone flexes.

Regards,
    Josh

A bolt action in .223 is a good option as well.. surprised it’s not been an option suggested by others. About as cheap as it gets to shoot in a centre fire, non corrosive cartridge. Hunt small game, accurate, shoot longer ranges, and basic rifles serve as nice platform to upgrade/customize if that’s ones thing.

Any .22LR would be a good way to start and very economical..but what concerns me is the fact that it sounds like you don't have the ability to store your firearm properly. A gun safe and trigger lock would be an excellent initial investment. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by alfonzo1955 View Post
    After over 3 years of lurking here and learning everything I could about firearms and shooting sports in general, I finally applied for my PAL and I'm expecting it to show up in the next month or so. Since I'm getting my licence, I think it's also a good idea to think about my first rifle.

My criteria are as follows:
    • Won't bankrupt me (I'm currently a university student)
    • Fun
    • Relatively discreet to store (I live in a house with other students that aren't the biggest fans of firearms)

I was thinking of a Ruger 10/22 Takedown or something similar. I was also considering an SKS, but I really don't know which would be better.
    Based on the criteria you have identified then I would suggest a 10/22 takedown as the ideal choice. The takedown is easily concealed in its broken down state and with a 1000 rounds of .22 being so dirt cheap you really cant go wrong.

CGN Regular
    Welcome! I hope you realize that you will inevitably own at least 3 guns; a shotgun, a .22, and a bolt action centerfire.
    To better answer your questions, a budget is nice to know. Personally, I would buy a .22 bolt action to get familiar with how to take down a rifle and clean it, as well as working on my flinch. A centerfire .223 is fantastic for reaching out to 200m and beyond. If you plan on hunting, get a .308. A Limbsaver on a .308 makes it very manageable. The shotgun can wait. But you'll eventually find out what you want. The resale value on guns is good, so if you get a good deal, you can usually sell for the same or a bit less.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast