$vboptions[bbtitle]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blackfeather first shots this pm

Blackfeather first shots this pm

Hi,

I'm back from firing first shots with my newly Blackfeathered m305. I must admit I was quite disappointed. Reading comments here makes me think I may just have had a bad day, so I'm not quitting on it. It's just that the gun was incredibly tight using only iron sights and the plastic stock so I had great expectations.

First off I've had big issues just to preset the scope on the CASM mount. It was way out to the left. So much so that I couldn't even dial it in without going to the end click. I finally got it inside range enough to have a few clicks left for windage but I will have to work on it again. I actually shimmed the sight pocket's front right side with aluminum foil. If anyone has a better idea please let me know. It occurred to me by the way that putting lock tite on every screw, as proposed by the installation video, will make things pretty bad when comes time to remove the mount to extract the bolt. Anyways that's another subject.

I also had a few problems with vertical alignment, but I solved it by raising the front screw 3/4 turn.

I guess all this misery had played on my patience at the range and my shooting session took a toll. But I will go back tomorrow, now that the rifle is zeroed, and stay calm :-)

HELP! I sold my soul to the internet nowarningshot's Avatar
    I have been down this road with the M305. Remember that it is not a 700 5R. If you have gone to a stock, i am assuming the other simple fixes are done. Then it is finding a load it likes, and seeing how far you can get. 1-1.5 MOA is as far as i got. Pushing the limitations of the platform, even when the indian is patient, sometimes its the arrow.
    A free society must outlaw harming innocent people to function, but when we seek to curtail what all of us can do, rather than holding each of us responsible for what we actually do, we give up on freedom itself.

Quote Originally Posted by MozPhoq View Post
    It occurred to me by the way that putting lock tite on every screw, as proposed by the installation video, will make things pretty bad when comes time to remove the mount to extract the bolt. Anyways that's another subject.
    Sorry to hear that you had a bad day with your new stock. The CASM installation instructions indicate that the mount should be screwed tight to the left side of the sight pocket first. Your comment about shimming the right side makes me wonder if you screwed down the right side first. Not sure if this would make a difference but thought I should mention it.

What makes you think that the mount would need to be removed to extract the bolt? My bolt comes out regularly for cleaning and inspection and I've never removed the CASM. There is more than enough working room underneath the scope rail.

You may also need to get some Millett adjustable scope rings to adjust your windage. Some rifles have rear sight pockets that are out-of-alignment which makes CASM installation problematic.
    “The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men.” ― Plato

My M305 shot "awesome" (for me) when installed in the Blackfeather. I was getting 1" groups at 50m with Norinco surplus, shooting off a wooden bench rest, no bipod.

How did the Blackfeather install itself go? No issues?

Quote Originally Posted by Pr589 View Post
    Sorry to hear that you had a bad day with your new stock. The CASM installation instructions indicate that the mount should be screwed tight to the left side of the sight pocket first. Your comment about shimming the right side makes me wonder if you screwed down the right side first. Not sure if this would make a difference but thought I should mention it
    Yes I screwed the left side first. The doc is clear about that point, the left side is used for a true alignment. I even uninstalled it, cleaned the sight pocket thoroughly and reinstalled as per written instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by Pr589 View Post
    What makes you think that the mount would need to be removed to extract the bolt? My bolt comes out regularly for cleaning and inspection and I've never removed the CASM. There is more than enough working room underneath the scope rail.
    I will check into that.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Shot View Post
    How did the Blackfeather install itself go? No issues?
    Surprisingly well. The worst part was to remove the flash hider. I had to slam it out of its position quite hard. Then the oprod guide was just a bit too tight but a little grit on the barrel did it. Everything else was easy.

BANNED
    Burris signature zee rings are good and will move your point of impact as well . They come with plastic inserts from 0 to 10 MOA .

Quote Originally Posted by nowarningshot View Post
    I have been down this road with the M305. Remember that it is not a 700 5R. If you have gone to a stock, i am assuming the other simple fixes are done. Then it is finding a load it likes, and seeing how far you can get. 1-1.5 MOA is as far as i got. Pushing the limitations of the platform, even when the indian is patient, sometimes its the arrow.
    I'll be just fine with 1-2 MOA. One thing I didn't mention is that I'm not fully comfortable with the pistol grip. I find it does not have the precision of the "pinch" on regular stock as fas as trigger control goes. If this gun and me don't get along well I'll just put it for sale and go to a McMillan stock.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkriver View Post
    Burris signature zee rings are good and will move your point of impact as well . They come with plastic inserts from 0 to 10 MOA .

Ok I'll check into that. Thanks. I was thinking about new rings anyways since I need to rise the scope a bit to see the front sight through the aperture.

It sounds like your issues have mostly to do with the CASM.

Is it still grouping the same?

I got the EBR trigger shoe for mine. Helps with trigger feel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast