$vboptions[bbtitle]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blackfeather first shots this pm

UPDATE: the CASM was fine. I had transferred scope and rings without reseating it from scratch and the screws were tight, uneven and out of recommendations.

I know, hit me in the head for overlooking such a basic thing

The gun still shoots below average though. I have to find a solution for that.

The harmonics will change when switching stocks and that will affect precision. You just need to find a new load that works with your Blackfeather.
    Last edited by hend238; 12-14-2015 at 08:43 PM. Reason: grammar

If you've done all of the basics (shimmed, op rod upgrade, refined a load) then I'd suggest playing with the Blackfeather barrel tension screw. Correctly adjusted, this adds the barrel tension that would normally be applied by the barrel band in the original stock)

I found the greatest accuracy returns from the right load (took me to about 1.5 MOA - 2 MOA from 4 MOA). A transfer to the Blackfeather and many small tweaks got me to 0.8 - 1.5 MOA which is where I think I've maxed the ability of the current platform. The last thing I did was to bed the receiver heel in the Blackfeather which eliminated some vertical stringing. Shot my M305 this past weekend for the first time in a long while and after a few warm-up rounds got some nice 0.9 MOA groups at 100 and 1.2 MOA groups at 200 yards. At some point I will re-barrel with a medium weight Criterion barrel and replace the bolt at the same time. This seems to eliminate the need for warm-up which I really value, and tightens groups to MOA-ish and less.
    Last edited by Pr589; 12-14-2015 at 11:54 AM.
    “The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men.” ― Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Pr589 View Post
    If you've done all of the basics (shimmed, op rod upgrade, refined a load) then I'd suggest playing with the Blackfeather barrel tension screw. Correctly adjusted, this adds the barrel tension that would normally be applied by the barrel band in the original stock)

I found the greatest accuracy returns from the right load (took me to about 1.5 MOA - 2 MOA from 4 MOA). A transfer to the Blackfeather and many small tweaks got me to 0.8 - 1.5 MOA which is where I think I've maxed the ability of the current platform. The last thing I did was to bed the receiver heel in the Blackfeather which eliminated some vertical stringing. Shot my M305 this past weekend for the first time in a long while and after a few warm-up rounds got some nice 0.9 MOA groups at 100 and 1.2 MOA groups at 200 yards. At some point I will re-barrel with a medium weight Criterion barrel and replace the bolt at the same time. This seems to eliminate the need for warm-up which I really value, and tightens groups to MOA-ish and less.
    I find difficult to start working loads when the gun is all over the place whatever is in it. So no I haven't started yet, I will consider this step when I'm steady around 3-4 MOA. By barrel tension screw, you mean the screw that protrudes from the oprod guide?

May I ask you what your loads are, to give me a head start? Currently I use h4895 with a few different kinds of bullets. Thanks you.
    Last edited by MozPhoq; 12-14-2015 at 08:40 PM.

If 41.5g of IMR 4895, 168g SMK seated to a COAL of 2.800 doesn't meet your expectations then in my opinion something is wrong with either your equipment setup, rifle, or you. Seriously, any M1A I've ever known shoots that load accurately without fail. There was always something else wrong when a rifle didn't. Once corrected the load preformed as expected.

Quote Originally Posted by hend238 View Post
    If 41.5g of IMR 4895, 168g SMK seated to a COAL of 2.800 doesn't meet your expectations then in my opinion something is wrong with either your equipment setup, rifle, or you. Seriously, any M1A I've ever known shoots that load accurately without fail. There was always something else wrong when a rifle didn't. Once corrected the load preformed as expected.
    I'm suspicious of any one load fits all, but I will give it a try for sure, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by MozPhoq View Post
    I'm suspicious of any one load fits all, but I will give it a try for sure, thanks.
    There has been a lot of testing done with this rifle over the years and there isn't much left to discuss when it comes to certain loads for the M1A, especially with the 168 Sierra Match Kings. Give it a try. When I bought my last National Match I loaded exactly what I stated above, with very little testing or tweaking, but settled on 41.6g because I didn't see the 2550 fps consistently on the chronograph with 41.5g. That rifle will shoot 1.5 moa or less consistently and well past 100 yards too. It's even bested half a field of custom bolt guns at an Fclass match or two, including F-open rifles, out to 900 meters. Mind you I switched to 175g SMK past 700m and single loaded with the gas turned off so I didn't hammer the action. It's very satisfying beating bolt guns with a gas gun. That load will shoot if everything else is as it should be. Good luck.
    Last edited by hend238; 12-14-2015 at 09:33 PM. Reason: added detail and corrections

Quote Originally Posted by hend238 View Post
    There has been a lot of testing done with this rifle over the years and there isn't much left to discuss when it comes to certain loads for the M1A, especially with the 168 Sierra Match Kings. Give it a try. When I bought my last National Match I loaded exactly what I stated above, with very little testing or tweaking, but settled on 41.6g because I didn't see the 2550 fps consistently on the chronograph with 41.5g. That rifle will shoot 1.5 moa or less consistently and well past 100 yards too. It's even bested half a field of custom bolt guns at an Fclass match or two, including F-open rifles, out to 900 meters. Mind you I switched to 175g SMK past 700m and single loaded with the gas turned off so I didn't hammer the action. It's very satisfying beating bolt guns with a gas gun. That load will shoot if everything else is as it should be. Good luck.
    Good stuff.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12