$vboptions[bbtitle]

Thread: Blackfeather Op Rod Guide Draw

Blackfeather Op Rod Guide Draw

Ive sure been enjoying my Norinco M305 in my Blackfeather "RS" stock but I'm questioning the tension adjustment on the op rod guide. I've read the instructions and watched the Tony Ben video but I'm still confused!

Neither Tony Ben video or the instructions state if the trigger assembly should be installed while setting the tension. I assume it should be so the back of the receiver's in place, correct?

The Blackfeather instructions states "the starting point for tension adjustment is 1/3 turn UP=DRAW from neutral/initial contact between the bottom of the new ORG tension adjusting screw and the top of the steel wear reduction plate embedded in the forearm.

I have bottomed the adjuster screw in the op rod guide and wound it out counter clockwise until it contacts the wear plate. This takes about 1/3rd of a turn. For proper UP=DRAW, would you then adjust it counter clockwise 1/3rd or two hex wrench flats? By doing this it would raise the barrel slightly and perhaps help seat the heel of the receiver in the stock which would help eliminate any gap.

In Tony Ben's video he adjusting the op rod screw counter clockwise until it touches the wear plate and then he turns it clockwise 1/3rd or two flats clockwise! I question this because wouldn't this create a DOWN=DRAW???

Thanks for the help, Stuart

Business Member
    Good points regarding up/down draw.

1.) Of course, draw adjustments should be made with trigger group installed. We will update instructions.

2.) Variations in receiver dimensions and fit of the legs into the cut outs will require slightly different tension adjustments. That is the main reason we made the op rod guide adjustable ... to compensate for out of spec tolerance stack up common in commercial receivers.

The alloy bedding in the BF chassis system is designed to give a strong and very rigid connection between stock and receiver with little give or flex at the rear, so some adjustment somewhere is required to minimize stress in the system.

As a secondary benefit, adjusting the tension at the front with the op rod, also allows for fine tuning to maximize accuracy by dampening harmonic resonance of the "free floated" barrel.

3.) A range session is the only positive way to discover which tension, up/down + or _ turns will give the best accuracy on each individual M14. In theory, upwards/push tension will also help seat the rear of the receiver better than downwards/pull tension.

5.) Traditional bedding using the ferrule/stock tip to achieve tension is down, and equally superb accuracy may be achieved with this method. However, rear lugged receivers are often used to achieve rigid receiver bedding.

While there are benefits to upwards/push tensioning, the effects require trial and error for each individual rifle. Call any time to discuss.
    M14.ca + Official Forum
    Blackfeather "RS" Rifle Stock
    LSP
    Scout Hand Guard
    CASM GEN II Scope Mount
    Black Arrow Spring Guide
    Direct email: info@m14.ca Tel. 250-888.9982
    T97NSR FTU T97.ca.
    T97NSR LHG T97.ca. NEW