Glaser Blue Safety Slug 9mm Luger

I think it's intended to break up on impact, to prevent over penetration and collateral/bystander injury. Fragments as soon as it hits anything - flesh, walls, car door, etc. I THINK this is the ammo that Air Marshals used? Or maybe that's just urban legend...

What makes it "safe"? Isn't it just a hollow-point filled in with a bit of plastic?

Sort of but not really. :)

220px-Glaser_Safety_slug.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glaser_Safety_Slug

I think it's intended to break up on impact, to prevent over penetration and collateral/bystander injury. Fragments as soon as it hits anything - flesh, walls, car door, etc. I THINK this is the ammo that Air Marshals used? Or maybe that's just urban legend...

Exactly.

The Calgary Police Service used to use Glasers in the 80s, and I think into the 90s. They stopped after some controversy after a number of officer involved shootings. Pre-internet days, so don't ask me to look up the articles. Yes, they prevent over-penetration, but they also have fairly spectacular "terminal effect" on target.

aaaaand for shooting paper you want to pay this much because......

Because some of us have carbines and 9mm is a good round for predator control. With Glasers, it takes them from being a "good" round, to an "awesome" round for dealing with badger to coyote sized targets.

The Calgary Police Service used to use Glasers in the 80s, and I think into the 90s. They stopped after some controversy after a number of officer involved shootings. Pre-internet days, so don't ask me to look up the articles. Yes, they prevent over-penetration, but they also have fairly spectacular "terminal effect" on target.

Because some of us have carbines and 9mm is a good round for predator control. With Glasers, it takes them from being a "good" round, to an "awesome" round for dealing with badger to coyote sized targets.

they also, in their lack of over penetration had terrible minimal penetration.

Frangibles like this are pretty much intended and functional as a "home Defense" type of ammunition due to the fragmentation qualities of the round when it hits pretty much anything.
Some LEO used them years ago but stopped using them because they are almost completely ineffective against an armoured target (body armour) or penetrating thru obstacles (car door, windshield etc)

Wow! I was just thinking about these the other day. I thought they stopped making ttem! I want some just for the memories. IIRC Cor-bon used to make their own version, but with larger shot. I guess the ended up buying out Glaser?.

I seem to remember "Glaser safety slugs" coming up in that pre hanibal lecter film Red Dragon where the fed agent was given them prior to his meet with the bad guy. sounded kinda cool then!

Back
Top Bottom