Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Review - Vortex Gen 2 HD Razor 4.5-27X56

Supporting Dealer

Review - Vortex Gen 2 HD Razor 4.5-27X56

Review of Vortex Gen 2 HD Razor 4.5-27X56

Plenty of interest in this scope. Have a read. Might help you make a better decision if you want to own this scope.

Jerry

Check out my Facebook page... Mystic Precision Inc

Email me at mysticprecision@gmail.com or PM

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Good Read!!

CGN frequent flyer
    Jerry,
    Kudos to you. Nice to see a negative review for a change, in that it's not uncommon for firearms periodicals to end up making excuses, or saying nothing, when a product comes up short.
    Having been exposed to quite a few Vortex products over the years, I can say I am underwhelmed by the quality....at any of the price points they offer.
    People counter that they have a great warranty.....I reply, you're going to need it...and may never be satisfied.
    At this price point, this result is totally unacceptable, particularly where you have confirmed that the issue was not limited to a single sample scope.
    Keep up the good work...it only validates my pleasant experiences dealing with you.....
    Cheap, quick, and good...you can only have two!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer 8 ball's Avatar
    I have hard time believing it's as bad as you are suggesting. 11 of the top 15 Precision Rifle Shooters (PRS) in the US are using this exact scope, and winning. Yes, I realize a couple of them are sponsored. But most are not. They still won't use glass that would give them a serious disadvantage. Lets break the numbers down over the last few years. In 2012, 44% of the 50 top shooters used a Schmidt & Bender. This number dropped to 36% in 2013, 33% in 2014 and only 8% in 2015. During the same time period Vortex went from 15% in 2012 to 17% in 2013 to 22% in 2014 and finally to 40% in 2015! These are fiercely competitive shooters that know what they want, and will spend what it takes to get it. They will not compromise if it means losing! Hard for me to believe that these people have been using junk and yet they become more and more popular! Just sayin.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Daver_II's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 8 ball View Post
    I have hard time believing it's as bad as you are suggesting. 11 of the top 15 Precision Rifle Shooters (PRS) in the US are using this exact scope, and winning. Yes, I realize a couple of them are sponsored. But most are not. They still won't use glass that would give them a serious disadvantage. Lets break the numbers down over the last few years. In 2012, 44% of the 50 top shooters used a Schmidt & Bender. This number dropped to 36% in 2013, 33% in 2014 and only 8% in 2015. During the same time period Vortex went from 15% in 2012 to 17% in 2013 to 22% in 2014 and finally to 40% in 2015! These are fiercely competitive shooters that know what they want, and will spend what it takes to get it. They will not compromise if it means losing! Hard for me to believe that these people have been using junk and yet they become more and more popular! Just sayin.
    I have to agree here....

That said... Does Jerry not sell vortex?
    edit... nope. vortex is not listed as one of his supplied products.

I will certainly heed the helpful advice though.
    Last edited by Daver_II; 02-18-2016 at 09:52 PM.

Supporting Dealer
    As I have said in the review.. test for yourself. What stunned me was the obvious change in performance. Remember, my initial impression WAS very positive. I am not candy coating anything.

I have no problem with any top product having a glitch here or there... hey, still a man made product. BUT this level of issue is not a QC problem... for the scopes I sampled, it was manufactured that way as the defect was obvious.

So, if this was a bad batch, then the warranty would take care of it. If this is a design/manf situation, wouldn't you as a consumer want to know?

But the scope DID make it through QC and that makes me very uneasy cause that would be something I would expect gets checked.

No other top tier scope I have tested failed this test....and these are also just random samples of product.

Too many consumers want to believe that if they spend alot of money, that product MUST be excellent. Maybe, maybe not.

Alot of shooters never use their gear to the fullest of what they purchase it for.

so prove this for yourself. Next time you see one of these scopes, check the image quality through it entire range of travel. See the view with centered windage and full down (the way it came out of the box). Then compare by pushing the travel into the corners.

Either it will or it will not. Then you will have your answer.

Jerry

PS, I check the image quality of all scopes through their operating range. Try it.. it will be quite enlightening.

Thanks Jerry! I found one of your comments interesting, funny, and relevant:

Side focus:

Smooth but like all the others, is quite touchy. The yardage markings were not even remotely close… manf should just leave them off cause it is almost never right and causes new shooters all sorts of distress.

Yeah, 'ja think...?!

Supporting Dealer
    I wonder how many Vortex scopes were returned for warranty to fix this problem ;-)

Jerry

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    How many of them are shooting at these extended ranges which necessitate this much elevation being put into the scope? The ballistics of the winning calibre's don't require anywhere near the elevation adjustment that Jerry was experiencing these issues, so maybe it's a case of them being satisfied with the performance they demanded of the optic? Would be interested to see a follow up review of this.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer scott_r's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by clg View Post
    How many of them are shooting at these extended ranges which necessitate this much elevation being put into the scope? The ballistics of the winning calibre's don't require anywhere near the elevation adjustment that Jerry was experiencing these issues, so maybe it's a case of them being satisfied with the performance they demanded of the optic? Would be interested to see a follow up review of this.
    How do you know they aren't shooting at these extended ranges off the competition circuit?

Great review but am always a bit hesitant believing everything written by salesman. You will never see a piss poor review of a product by salesman who actually stocks and carries it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast