Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2016 Shot Show Report John Rigby & Co. Big Game model Magnum Mauser in 416 Rigby

Pound of Fire
    Super Moderator

2016 Shot Show Report John Rigby & Co. Big Game model Magnum Mauser in 416 Rigby

Well gentlemen, let me start off by saying that the Boulder Rifle & Pistol Club is huge & with all the exhibitors & guns to shoot, it makes for a VERY busy and action packed day. Why start this review with that comment? Because the Big Game Magnum Mauser in 416 Rigby that was at the Rigby booth was the only firearm that had me coming back for more!

I fired both the Single or Double Square Bridge versions. First the Single, then the Double and then back to the Single. I preferred the Single Square Bridge because of the peep sight that it had. At roughly 9.5 pounds, the rifle was not a bear to shoot, but it certainly wasn't for the light hearted, IT KICKED quite stoutly with the 400 grain projectiles! Even with the stout recoil, I was able to keep the shots on the buffalo target's shoulder for 5 shots and then hit the 6 inch steel gongs placed at 50 yards three times in a row. 8 shots & I was 'done', chuckle!

Other things I noticed about the Rigby product was the attention to detail. They simply make a beautiful gun & as the 3rd oldest gun manufacturer in the world, they have been doing so since 1775.

This just may be the rifle I would purchase & carry for my once in a lifetime African Safari for Cape Buffalo and plains game as I am certain the 416 Rigby cartridge in the Rigby Big Game Magnum 98 Mauser could 'do it all'.

Pics to follow!

Cheers
    Jay
    Wing Nut

"No man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson.

Sponsoring Business Shooting Centre's Avatar
    We have them in stock at 2015 prices
    --
    Calgary Shooting Centre
    https://store.theshootingcentre.com/

For orders, please visit our online store or email us at: orders@theshootingcentre.com

I also enjoyed firing the classic 416 Rigby round from a Rigby made rifle.
    The action is a true Mauser-made Magnum action.
    It features an interesting peep sight at the very rear of the bolt.
    These rifles are beautifully made and finished.

The same table also had some Blaser and Sauer guns too.
    The Sauer 404 is really clever the way it comes completely apart in about a minute, all will a built-in tool.

RichPoorMan
    Super Moderator
    Beautiful rifle guys, so, if you were punching paper, how do you think it would group?
    Bush hunter!

Pound of Fire
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by John Y Cannuck View Post
    Beautiful rifle guys, so, if you were punching paper, how do you think it would group?
    I asked that exact question of Rigby's representative Simon & he said; 'One inch at 100m off a bench'.

Cheers
    Jay
    Wing Nut

"No man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson.

HI, they don't appear on the website, price?

Sponsoring Business Shooting Centre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by David L View Post
    HI, they don't appear on the website, price?
    Contact markus@theshootingcentre.com for info
    --
    Calgary Shooting Centre
    https://store.theshootingcentre.com/

For orders, please visit our online store or email us at: orders@theshootingcentre.com

Absolutely beautiful rifle! While I have never had the chance to hunt with a Rigby rifle I did use a .416 Rigby in a CZ 550 last year for giraffe. As the OP mentioned i was quite surprised at how accurate I could be with the iron sites given the recoil of the rifle, although it does have a push recoil feel rather than the crack you get from lighter faster calibers!

Just saw on us market...15K... will keep drooling...

Quote Originally Posted by David L View Post
    Just saw on us market...15K... will keep drooling...
    That's about what they said on Monday.
    The genuine Mauser Magnum action costs about $6000 or $7000 alone!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast