Thread: 2016 SHOT Show: Barrett MRAD

Snow-White Le Mod

2016 SHOT Show: Barrett MRAD

Today at the SHOT Show Range Day, I had the pleasure to try out the Barrett MRAD, in .308.

I had heard about Barrett's products but never seen them myself. This rifle is a lot less intimidating than, say, the adds in magazines may have led me to believe.

Who better than a Barret rep to explain some of the features of this model?

https://youtu.be/BRq51URxF7E

Upon sitting at the bench and finding my shooting position, I found that ergonomics of this gun are spot on. The feel of the bolt is one of solid and precise fabrication. No frills, this is a purpose-made rifle. I was then told that the rifle was sighted in for... the 960 yards gongs!

What?

I've never shot past 200...

And I am an average shot at best...

I took a few seconds to breathe, got into a decent shooting position, concentrated on trigger pull... which was, again, precise and exactly as you want it to be on a rifle like that; the first shot missed the gong by a few inches to the left. Ok, maybe my trigger pull did make it go to the left; shot again... to my surprise, same spot, to the left. My spotter gave the scope one click, and told me to aim again exactly the same as for my previous two shots.

Ding! The third shot was a hit.

Some folks may be used to shooting long distances, but this was a first for me, and a huge leap. Let's just say that the fact that I did hit the gong says an aweful lot about the quality of the firearm.

Last edited by louthepou; 01-19-2016 at 01:27 PM.
    I like to refurb Lee Enfields!

CSSA, CCFR member

CGN Ultra frequent flyer bfiles's Avatar
    Damn do I want a Barrett! !!!!
    CSSA CCFR PROUD MEMBER
    "Sleep in bliss Pops"!!!!!!

Pound of Fire
    Super Moderator
    I shot the MRAD they had dialed in for 600 meters & hit 2/3 shots on a man sized steel target. The rifle really is superbly capable because while I am a decent rifle shot, I'm no sniper!

A rifle of this 'caliber' really does make long range shooting fun as heck!

Cheers
    Jay
    Wing Nut

"No man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson.

Oh, to have a supressed .308..... I could shoot, without bothering the neighbours, all day.

Looking good Louis...next time we go for the .50...