Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: 2016 SHOT Show: Crosman Benjamin Pioneer Airbow

CGN Regular groundskeeper willy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neoconfection View Post
    If it's below 495FPS, it's an unrestricted firearm, so you won't need a license.
    There's also an energy/joules component to deciding if it's a "firearm" or not.
    The exact details I don't recall.
    Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer, Now I are one.

Uber Super GunNutz
    Quote Originally Posted by kodiakjack View Post
    There's no ambiguity about way it is.

A bow, no matter the type, has a... BOW as one of its primary parts.

This has no bow. It is not a bow. Of any description.

It is an air gun that fires an arrow. That's all.

No good for use in a bow season. As for rifle season, you'd have to check your provincial regs to make sure it meets the minimum requirements (if any) for all other rifles like muzzle energy, etc. (even though it wouldn't kill the same way)

For interest's sake, there's also a conversion you can get for the 10-22 that uses a .22 blank to fire an arrow.
    My point is that there are so few of these type of devices that they probably haven't been looked at very closely by the authorities as to where they would actually categorize it. I know it's not a bow - I own one AND a dictionary (well Google anyways lol). My point is that if there actually end up being more of these around they could conceivably be categorized for hunting as per a crossbow ... they both fire a similar projectile at similar velocities and have similar advantages/disadvantages for a hunter. Crossbows themselves never used to be included as an available weapon for hunting but are now allowed - things happen. It's just as possible that the rc's decide that they are prohibited weapons. Ambiguity of where they'll end up is my point.

Quote Originally Posted by H Wally View Post
    I can see the RCMP disliking this and prohibiting it, but I like it in design. The air gauge being somewhere other than at the muzzle would be nice.
    They would probaly call it a firearm that shoots flechettes.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Daver_II's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
    They would probaly call it a firearm that shoots flechettes.
    Ha Ha.. very big flechette.....

It has to fire projectiles at above 495fps AND be above a 5.7 joule energy threshold to be considered a firearm.

If it is not BOTH of those things, it is not a firearm. Therefore, you can fire a very big projectile very slow (<500fps, >5.7 Joule) or you can fire a very small projectile very fast (>500fps, <5.7 joule) and still not be considered a firearm.

Just a thought, but would they rule it a spear gun? what are they regulated under?

its under 500 fps. and powered by air ( AIRGUN ) shouldn't be a problem with the rcmp. but for hunting use there is a problem. it does not fit the definition of a crossbow or bow and airguns are not allowed for hunting here in nova scotia. not sure of the laws in other provinces. but looks like a cool toy to play with just the same.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by somedudepspcrazy View Post
    It has to fire projectiles at above 495fps AND be above a 5.7 joule energy threshold to be considered a firearm.

If it is not BOTH of those things, it is not a firearm. Therefore, you can fire a very big projectile very slow (<500fps, >5.7 Joule) or you can fire a very small projectile very fast (>500fps, <5.7 joule) and still not be considered a firearm.
    If it fires <500fps, and >5.7 Joule, it's an unrestricted firearm.

it is whatever the heavies "deem" it to be.
    FWIW, I cannot see it being a firearm as it does not break 500fps. At least not with current arrow weight.
    And as it does not use stored bow energy and a string, I cannot see it being archery either...
    Still a cool toy, tho!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer fenceline's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by monster hunter View Post
    its under 500 fps. and powered by air ( AIRGUN ) shouldn't be a problem with the rcmp. but for hunting use there is a problem. it does not fit the definition of a crossbow or bow and airguns are not allowed for hunting here in nova scotia. not sure of the laws in other provinces. but looks like a cool toy to play with just the same.
    It would not be a firearm as defined and related by the firearms act. It would be a firearm as defined by the criminal code, and exempt under 84 (3) from certain sections pertaining to firearms.
    Last edited by tootall; 01-21-2016 at 11:36 AM. Reason: NOT added
    CQB, 3 Gun, ISSAC and Service Rifle Shooter.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - 1* - SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM - HAN SHOT FIRST - YOUR FREEDOM IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY