Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: 2016 SHOT Show: Crosman Benjamin Pioneer Airbow

CGN Ultra frequent flyer kodiakjack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Camp Cook View Post
    It states in the link 290fps for the fx kit and the Crossman is 450fps.

Isn't that a bit of a power difference?
    Not just a "bit". Nearly 4 times the kinetic energy.

The Verminator shoots smaller lighter crossbow bolts producing 42 pounds of KE. The Airbow boasts 160 pounds of KE.
    The Bee does not squander his time trying to explain to the Fly why honey is better than s**t. Each creature is content with the meal laid before them, so the Bee reserves his endeavor for those who know its worth.

Quote Originally Posted by 98/29 View Post
    That particular kit might be 450 FPS but they make other model that surpass that and beyond. They also make a model that come with hand pump that eliminate the need for refilling. As far as I know they FX came up with this idea a few years ago. Here is a video from back in 2014:
    Feel free to post a link to the maker's specs that back up your claim. Oh, and if the "weak" model costs $2500, what does the "my-dad's-bigger-than-your-dad" model cost?? I'm scared to know!

But I still can't fathom why either of the above brands/models would be preferable to the 10/22 conversion. Similar performance, a fraction of the price, and no hand pumps and scuba tanks to screw around with. Just a pocket full of .22 blanks and Bob's your uncle.
    The Bee does not squander his time trying to explain to the Fly why honey is better than s**t. Each creature is content with the meal laid before them, so the Bee reserves his endeavor for those who know its worth.

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakjack View Post
    Feel free to post a link to the maker's specs that back up your claim. Oh, and if the "weak" model costs $2500, what does the "my-dad's-bigger-than-your-dad" model cost?? I'm scared to know!

But I still can't fathom why either of the above brands/models would be preferable to the 10/22 conversion. Similar performance, a fraction of the price, and no hand pumps and scuba tanks to screw around with. Just a pocket full of .22 blanks and Bob's your uncle.
    Go on their website, do you own research.
    Follow through isn't just a shooting fundamental, it's a life skill.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Camp Cook's Avatar
    Guys I appreciate the info sharing on the 10-22 and the fx didn't know either of them existed.

If I buy one of these I am not interested in one that is classed as a firearm or one that costs over $2500.00 so no amount of arguing/discussion will change my mind on which one I'll buy.

I like full length arrow shafts and could almost justify the price of the Crossman.

This would be an awesome coyote/deer setup for hunting the Fraser Valley.

I don't practice with my bow enough to make 50 + yard shots any more.

When I rifle hunt the local deer I walk/drive thru shotgun with shot and bow & arrow hunting only areas before I can hunt with my rifle.

I've been looking for a take down recurve bow set up to slip this into my Eberlestock X3 lodrag pack for when I am in single projectile hunting areas then swap my rifle into the pack and set up the bow.

This set up would be far easier to pack/swap around.

So let's hear more about the Crossman.
    <")))><

"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that" -movie "Shane" 1953

Quote Originally Posted by 98/29 View Post
    Go on their website, do you own research.
    I did. Obviously.

And there isn't a single model listed that can fire an arrow over 300 fps. Hence my invitation to you to reference something to support your claim.

Do you own stock in FX? That's the only reason I can think of to nustify your comments.

Sorry camp cook. Some days it's hard to keep my mouth shut.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Jarlath's Avatar
    I Also talked to Mr. Hunicutt,
    The green fletching on the 26.5" air bow arrow shaft is for simple orientation of loading. Green fletching goes up. This is the "guide" to prevent the fletching from rubbing/interfering with the inside of the Airbow's Arrow housing. However there are no rails or other physical guide methods to prevent you from "twisting the arrow" while loading and causing fletching to scrape when fired.

The end of the hollow arrow shaft, where you would normally have a nock has a plastic sleeve which acts as a ring to strengthen the shaft end and prevent "splintering and fracturing" from loading and launching. The outer side of this band is the pressure seal surface. The hollow launch tube is affixed to a collar which has an o-ring seal which helps the system's pressure build up at the point of launching. It also doubles as a method of retaining the loaded arrow should the Air bow be pointed downwards. (aka does not slide down the barrel/launching shaft). The last 1/2in or so has resistance as the sleeve is pushed along the o-ring seal.

The barrel itself is of a specific diameter and wall thickness as well as length due to testing. Too thin and the barrel deformed when launching, too thick and the barrel was too heavy to stay linear (no bending). I can only guess that the length chosen prevents pressurized air forces from deflecting the intended trajectory, while maintaining length.
    Example, shorten the launch barrel by 6 inches and have it inside the "cowl" on the AirBow. irregular surface that is exposed to the compressed air and could possibly effect the flight (air pushing sideways against the fletching).

The built in regulator is good for eight 450fps shots (100gr tip), then additional shots fall off fast (#9 is still supposedly >400fps).

MSRP of AirBow is expected to be approx. $900 USD
    MSRP of a set of 6 arrows is $80-$100 USD
    "Every loss of a soldier is a significant one. These great Canadians, died serving Canada and the people of Afghanistan."
    Modified statement of Col. Mike Cessford, deputy commander of Canadian Forces in Afghanistan.

Vice President for the Canadian Shooting Sports Association www.cssa-cila.org
    Active participant of the ODPL www.odplonline.org

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Camp Cook's Avatar
    Does anyone know what it weighs?
    <")))><

"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that" -movie "Shane" 1953

It would make a great hunting tool for someone who has a disability that prevents them from pulling a bow or dealing with recoil. It's a bit of a drag that you can only fire 8 full power shots before recharging. Surely they will come up with a more efficient system down the road if it becomes an accepted means to fire arrows.

The Benjamin Pioneer as just been classed prohibited by the RCMP because it is Bull-Pup

what a shame very disappointed

Quote Originally Posted by Gpion View Post
    The Benjamin Pioneer as just been classed prohibited by the RCMP because it is Bull-Pup

what a shame very disappointed
    Do you have a link to the info? There are many purpose-built bull-pup firearms (i.e Tavor, RFB, etc) that are not prohibited.

If true, how could they find an "airgun" prohibited based on being a purpose built bull-pup? Seems a little sketchy to me.
    You are either trained or untrained, and you
    will always fall to the level of your training.