Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2016 Shot Show Review, Nosler's new cartridge, the 30 Nosler.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    It is sort of in .300 RUM or .300 weatherby territory ...

Quote Originally Posted by rem338win View Post
    Waa. Waa.

First, show me a 300 WM load at SAAMI pressure that sends a 180gr pill at 3200fps.

Second, show me a cartridge that is now head stamped and ready to go that will do .308 cal 200gr pills at 3100fps without ridiculous freebore and fit in a standard action.

It's as "new" of an idea as a 300 WSM was and its coming with premium brass of the shebang. It's the marketing that is going to count.
    Why bother when I can spend less than half as much and send those bullets at 3000 fps? Do you think any target, alive or inanimate will notice a bullet going 200fps slower? It's a giant cash grab, where you spend 2-5 times as much and you get practically nothing of value in return.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - When all else fails, vote from the rooftops "Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est"

Wow if Columbus had the attitudes that you guys do the world would still be flat!

The Nosler cartridges are all based off the 375 ruger, which is a great cartridge design. I built a 7-375 ruger before the 26 nosler came out and I love it. Many shooters believe that a shorter fatter case design is more efficient and inherently more accurate. Look at the success of the 6.5-284?? The shorter OAL of the cartridge (compared to 300 win/wby) will allow long VLD bullets to be seated out farther and still function well through magazines, and yes, no blasted belt! I had thought from the start that the 375 ruger would make an excellent cartridge in the entire caliber range from 6.5mm-.416, I'm not sure why ruger or hornady didn't do it themselves. When the .338 comes out next year (i'm guessing) it will be a fantastic cartridge also.

When it comes to cost of brass, I try to only buy nosler/norma, lapua or hornady. They're quality is leaps and bounds ahead of winchester, federal or remignton, I find that they take less work (time) and last longer than the cheaper brands, so in the long run they may be even cheaper. If you can't afford to buy the brass or the rifles then I suggest you stick to your sks or sell some of your savages and take the leap to a higher end outfit and see what the hell your missing!

BANNED
    Hiding in BC. Send lawyers, guns and money
    Nosler has a load within 40 fps and another 6 within 100 fps difference, plus 4 more within 130 fps.
    Quote Originally Posted by rem338win View Post
    Waa. Waa.

First, show me a 300 WM load at SAAMI pressure that sends a 180gr pill at 3200fps.

Second, show me a cartridge that is now head stamped and ready to go that will do .308 cal 200gr pills at 3100fps without ridiculous freebore and fit in a standard action.

It's as "new" of an idea as a 300 WSM was and its coming with premium brass of the shebang. It's the marketing that is going to count.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Dorian Gray's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    I have one in 35 Whelen, it's a very nice rifle!

Cheers
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by megahurts View Post
    I have one in 375 Ruger and it's a sweet rig. The only negatives are that the bolt throw is kind of high for a mid range scope ocular and that the front sight hood can start to come off under heavy recoil (a little low strength locktite fixes that though).
    You guys are killin' me.....really....sooooo jealous.....

I think I would be more concerned with throat erosion than barrel wear. As stated by previous replies to this thread you would have to shoot a heck of a lot to achieve throat erosion or wear out the barrel.
    John 3:16. If not then unfortunately John 3:36
    Firearms owners are the difference between Tyranny & Freedom!!
    GUN CONTROL IS NOT CRIME CONTROL. ITS POPULATION CONTROL!
    Faith is not knowing what the future holds but knowing who holds the future

CGN Ultra frequent flyer rem338win's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blastattack View Post
    Why bother when I can spend less than half as much and send those bullets at 3000 fps? Do you think any target, alive or inanimate will notice a bullet going 200fps slower? It's a giant cash grab, where you spend 2-5 times as much and you get practically nothing of value in return.
    Most people can't used anything to its potential beyond a .308 Winchester using blue box loads from Cantucky Tire, so feel free to buy another Savage Axis and leave 'spensive stuff to folks who care. I'll take Norma or Lapua brass at twice the price of Remington or Federal any day. And prepped, ready to go? Thats value too.

Quote Originally Posted by j_06 View Post
    Nosler has a load within 40 fps and another 6 within 100 fps difference, plus 4 more within 130 fps.
    This didn't explain anything, and I am assuming you are using a 300 Weatherby for this? Which meets none of the criteria I spoke to. And a 30-06 Superformance load is within 100fps of the 300 Winchester. But it still isn't.

Alright folks, the .223, and 30-06 are all anyone needs, stop buying the other stuff, it's all moot and ridiculous. No need for development and reality is we're not going to ever advance beyond the wheel, etc. etc. Now get back to your normal.
    Junkies have tracks and that's icky. :

Quote Originally Posted by Bird Blaster View Post
    sounds like the barrel won't last very long.
    I've heard it recommended with the 6.5 & 7 Nosler to just go with proprietary ammo and sight it in, don't even bother with break-in. Especially with the 6.5 Nos, by the time the barrel is broken in and loads developed, barrel life will be done! 250 rounds...
    Best Regards,
    Lt Bull 01
    Freelance Wildlife Population Manager

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Camp Cook's Avatar
    I load my 300RUM with 200gr Accubonds and A-Frames at 3200fps.

Used to load 180gr Scirroco's at 3380fps.
    <")))><

"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that" -movie "Shane" 1953

1. Tagged for interest.

2. I am waiting for somebody to buy the rifle, dies and brass so I can buy that rig when they are tired of it. Like I did for ALL of the WSM's/WSSM's, SAUM's, and countless others.

3. I don't actually CARE if a given cartridge does something about the same as another given cartridge. It is the NOVELTY of shooting NEW-TO-ME chamberings that gets my ticker pumping.

So bring 'em on!

Thanks Jay for reporting this. (I take it you went to the SHOT Show?)

Doug
    This space is dedicated to first responders. THANKS FOLKS!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast