Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 2016 Shot Show Review, Nosler's new cartridge, the 30 Nosler.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Camp Cook's Avatar
    I have a 300RUM its was the beat all end all new fangled awesomely accurate rifle/cartridge combo with my 200gr Accubond loads at 3200fps.

Many spewed against it = why would you want/need that kind of velocity.

I don't have the time to reload another new fangled cartridge don't really have the time to load for my developed loads now.

I'll pass on the new 30 Nosler it looks like a very nice capable cartridge but I've no reason to go down in power.
    <")))><

"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that" -movie "Shane" 1953

CGN Ultra frequent flyer freezer filler's Avatar
    That Outfitter looks sweet! I love the cartridge line up...and they are making a 458 win mag!

Part # Cartridge Action BBL Contour BBL Length Weight Twist Est Delivery
    2 21848 308 Win Short Magnum 22" 7.50 Lbs 1-10" Mar 2016
    3 72348 30-06 Sprg Long Magnum 22" 7.50 Lbs 1-10" In Stock
    4 72148 338 Win Mag Long Magnum 22" 7.50 Lbs 1-10" TBD 2016
    5 72448 35 Whelen Long Magnum 22" 7.50 Lbs 1-14" Apr 2016
    6 72648 9.3x62mm Mauser Long Magnum 22" 7.50 Lbs 1-12" TBD 2016
    7 72948 375 Ruger Long Magnum 22" 7.50 Lbs 1-12" TBD 2016
    8 72848 458 Win Mag Long Magnum 22" 7.50 Lbs 1-14" TBD 2016

Quote Originally Posted by John Y Cannuck View Post
    They said that about the .264 Winchester Magnum. It was only partly true even back then, and barrel steels have advanced considerably since.
    I think for the average shooter, barrel wear will not be an issue.

Remember the 270 Winchester can shoot 3000 fps, as does the 22-250. How many complaints from owners about barrel life do you hear?
    True on the barrel wear "non" issue .
    My 22-250 factory 45grn rounds are 4000 fps , reloaded 50 grn at 3750 fps.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    1. Tagged for interest.

2. I am waiting for somebody to buy the rifle, dies and brass so I can buy that rig when they are tired of it. Like I did for ALL of the WSM's/WSSM's, SAUM's, and countless others.

3. I don't actually CARE if a given cartridge does something about the same as another given cartridge. It is the NOVELTY of shooting NEW-TO-ME chamberings that gets my ticker pumping.

So bring 'em on!

Thanks Jay for reporting this. (I take it you went to the SHOT Show?)

Doug
    There is some truth in the novelty aspect of gun ownership. Years back I recall hearing a manufactures rep comment that anytime the made up and bought out a new rifle or chambering, they could count on sales of some 40,000 units. That was awhile back but still illustrates a point. Perhaps with the higher end stuff, that number will be less, but it's still a point. There are those who either enjoy the novelty once it's worn off with the first owner, (new to me!) or those that just have to have the latest, greatest, etc. etc. and are willing to pay for it. Weather or not we actually need it is a moot point. For those who don't believe me, go hang out at a car dealership when new models come in. Just smile, nod and shake head......to each their own. Now enough of this verbal masturbation, let's go shooting!!!!
    The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.
    -H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by bjjzak View Post
    There is some truth in the novelty aspect of gun ownership. Years back I recall hearing a manufactures rep comment that anytime the made up and bought out a new rifle or chambering, they could count on sales of some 40,000 units. That was awhile back but still illustrates a point. Perhaps with the higher end stuff, that number will be less, but it's still a point. There are those who either enjoy the novelty once it's worn off with the first owner, (new to me!) or those that just have to have the latest, greatest, etc. etc. and are willing to pay for it. Weather or not we actually need it is a moot point. For those who don't believe me, go hang out at a car dealership when new models come in. Just smile, nod and shake head......to each their own. Now enough of this verbal masturbation, let's go shooting!!!!
    Yes indeed let's go shooting. I was out to the range today.

The battery that accompanied me were rifles chambered in:

.256 Win Mag

.32-20 Win

.257 Roberts Improved

.32-40 Win

6 PPC

.22 Kilbourn Hornet

7 RUM

.25-35 Win

and I think one other which now escapes me. All "interesting" cartridges, just like the new Nosler offerings. If it was about NEED, we could all have a Cooey bolt action .22 repeater, a Remington 870 12 gauge, and a sporterized Lee Enfield .303 and be good to go for hunting just about anything. But how boring is that!!!
    This space is dedicated to first responders. THANKS FOLKS!

Deep in the Darkest Bush there is ! and Kamloops
    Quote Originally Posted by 8x68 View Post
    I think I would be more concerned with throat erosion than barrel wear. As stated by previous replies to this thread you would have to shoot a heck of a lot to achieve throat erosion or wear out the barrel.
    Yea i get a KICK out the barrel wear vs Velocity - Funny - its the throat you have to worry about and if you keep the shots down to 3 at a time and let the barrel KOOL good barrel life is fine and LONG ! JMO RJ
    INDIGENOUS JIM - Born and Raised in British Columbia and A Canadian !

The 284 WIN - is the Original Short Magnum !

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345